Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:33:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690718
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Foundry Ltd Edition Victorian figures available again  (Read 7743 times)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Foundry Ltd Edition Victorian figures available again
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 11:46:16 PM »
Apart from the 2 pack Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson, I got the others as 2 sets of 3 with my Miniature Wargames subscription. Were they available for sale as well then? :?:
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 08:49:08 AM »
Quote from: "twrchtrwyth"
Apart from the 2 pack Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson, I got the others as 2 sets of 3 with my Miniature Wargames subscription. Were they available for sale as well then? :?:

No they have never been for sale to my knowledge.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Buzgob

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 08:54:10 AM »
None of them have ever been officially for sale, only on Ebay. All those limiteds where free packs in some way. Either with a WI subscription or buying something or other directly or via the website.

Offline darquebus

• Librarian
  • So evil, he'll steal teddy bears from kids
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 10:19:35 PM »
:?:  What is a limited "only with this order" edition if you can buy them later normally??? Did I misunderstand the concept of "limited"??

..I had a quick look at the price and it made it very easy NOT to buy these. Am I wrong or is foundry going down the GW path "let's rip 'em off"!?
Ex-Kieler in Down Under

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead Painters League Winner
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 03:15:20 PM »
It's certainly a bad move to release limited edition models later on. Obviously they went for the actual ebay favourites.
What makes me wonder is I don't see much money in this venture, they pop up on ebay all the time usually go below Foundry's asked price.
I'm curious to see if they release the remaining ones also.

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 10:04:53 AM »
My thoughts on this are unprintable.  :x
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 12:56:23 PM »
Well, just to chime in, IMHO itīs just the latest in a line of spectacularly shortsighted marketing decisions by GW. EDIT: Of course not GW, Foundry! But Iīll leave it standing just you can see to what conclusions my brain jumps. :lol:

To be honest, though, they already hinted at this practice back in the 1990s when they established the "Limited Figures" concept, and even back then they got bad rep for it (mainly followed it in Readerīs Letters to Wargames Illustrated).

So you cannot say that whoever cooked up that harebrained scheme, itīs not like they didnīt half-bake it for some 10 years.

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 05:06:04 PM »
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"
To be honest, though, they already hinted at this practice back in the 1990s when they established the "Limited Figures" concept, and even back then they got bad rep for it (mainly followed it in Readerīs Letters to Wargames Illustrated).

That's not correct, it was always made clear that these figures would never be released. Also you can't mix the montly limited editions up with the WI specials.

The monthly limited editions started not before 2000.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2008, 06:19:15 PM »
Quote from: "Mike D. Mc Brice"
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"

That's not correct, it was always made clear that these figures would never be released. Also you can't mix the montly limited editions up with the WI specials.

The monthly limited editions started not before 2000.

Iīm pretty sure about it, Iīll look it up once I get back to Münster. It was either in 1999 or 2000, and they had just started the monthlies. Back then, WI had some "Foundry Catalogue Pages" at the back, and in one of these they stated that they would "keep some stocks of limited figures for later times, then make them available to see what prices theyīll fetch."

Iīll look into my mags tomorrow evening and give a definitive quote.

Of course, thatīs different from a full-blown release of the miniatures, which goes right in the face of those who fell for the Limited appeal.

GW did it several times as well. I particularly recall the "White Dwarf Figure" which I got with 1996īs WD200, which was then released around 2000, I think. Or 2001. Probably coinciding with the then-released Dwarf army book.

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2008, 06:32:14 PM »
To save you the work and for anybody who's interested you can find the details in Wargames Illustrated #156 (September 2000).

The actual release of Queen Victoria and the Mad Hatter set are Wargames Illustrated specials which should never been available from Foundry again, that was a quite clear statement.

They had a rather complicated plan for the monthly limited editions which was to keep some castings and see after some years what these complete sets would fetch. They made pretty clear that they would not cast or release them again in the future.

It's very annoying to see that they don't care a dime what they said in the past.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2008, 07:10:03 PM »
Quote from: "Mike D. Mc Brice"
To save you the work and for anybody who's interested you can find the details in Wargames Illustrated #156 (September 2000).

The actual release of Queen Victoria and the Mad Hatter set are Wargames Illustrated specials which should never been available from Foundry again, that was a quite clear statement.

They had a rather complicated plan for the monthly limited editions which was to keep some castings and see after some years what these complete sets would fetch. They made pretty clear that they would not cast or release them again in the future.

It's very annoying to see that they don't care a dime what they said in the past.

Thatīs the one! Thanks a bunch. :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2008, 08:20:33 PM »
What can one say that hasn't already been said 100 times?

Fantastic figure ranges, huge ambition, innovation and imagination. In great part responsible for the whole new wave of 2nd generation (ie. high quality) wargames figures and sculptors over the past decade and a half, not to mention promulgating the whole 'three colour method' which most people now accept as standard practice...

And yet, at almost every turn, they've perpetrated one dodgy marketing trick after another, and alienated (I suspect) a large section of what should be their core, loyal market.

Everything from blatantly buying editorial in WI (although they're not the only ones), to the whole 'precast preview' packs, limited editions and other such nonsense. Not to mention the stunning about turn a few years ago when they went from 8 figures for Ģ6 to 6 figures for Ģ8 - insouciantly almost doubling the price of their figures overnight... More money for less product in one fell swoop. What genius thought they'd be able to sell that one?

Now they charging more to cast and provide their 'back catalogue', and are selling single figures (which they once said were limited editions but don't appear to be limited after all) for a stonking Ģ5 each.

Breach of contract? Who knows... Breach of good faith? I think so.

I really do give up on them.

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2008, 09:40:21 PM »
Quote from: "Captain Blood"
... Breach of good faith? I think so.

Surely.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008, 11:30:05 AM »
They've re-released some of the others now:

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/LTDEDIT/6/index.asp

Same prices, same sense of betrayal.  :x

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2008, 11:44:16 AM »
60 Euro for 8 figures, good god.

I might finally get my Cyberripper in the next weeks!