Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:37:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Medieval-Byzantine-Norman-ish- Greece?  (Read 1615 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
Medieval-Byzantine-Norman-ish- Greece?
« on: August 30, 2012, 03:01:14 PM »
I've often thought about doing some sort of project in medieval Greece/Aegean region, and it has resurfaced, presumably because I've just read the first couple of chapters of Norwich's 'Decline and Fall' (Of the Byzantine Empire, not the decline and fall of Norwich), and am still eagerly awaiting the English language version of 'By Fire and Sword'.

Anyway, I've been looking for an excuse to order Khurusan's Norman, Italian and Sicilian types, which I'm sure I could find employment for just across the water, I'm thinking later C11th-early C12th, but I'm wondering about other decent 15mm ranges I could draw on for the various protagonists?

Other than Byzantines, Norman interlopers, possibly Venetians (any ideas on figures for them by the way?) are there any others I might want to keep an eye out for?

Lastly, I am stumped when it comes to rules for 15mm medieval; I got rid of my copy of Field of Glory because I just couldn't get into it, I have Ironbow from the Perfect Captain which I sort of like the look of but have never really paid proper attention to. Impetus I have seen bases of figures which look great, and they are a possibility, but essentially looking for something which captures flavour most of all.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!
Rob

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
Re: Medieval-Byzantine-Norman-ish- Greece?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 05:35:33 PM »
For figures, legio heroica make some crusades figures, some could be pressed into service
http://www.legio-heroica.com/index-en.html Here's the main page. I'm not certain, but some of the crusaders might be useful, and even some feudal (probably not).
As for rules, i like Impetus and DBA, but other than that i play skirmishes/small battles. You could always play SAGA, LOTR varient or change dux britanniarum or dux bellorm (sorry for poor spelling  ;D) but put several figures of a base and treat them as one figure (or just one figure?).
Do bear in mind this is not a period i know loads about, so some of the above might be useless  :D

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 09:17:46 PM »
Piquet / Band of Brother 2 => There is some army lists for "Latin greece" with Bulgars , Morean franks , Byzantines ( Epirus , Trapezuntine , Nicaean ... ) ...

Some very detailed army lists in DBM Book 4 too ...

I'm working on a big 28mm project about "Le royaume de Morée" ( Frankish medieval greece ) from 1204+ adapting the Perfect Captain "Shadow of Byzantium" for campaigning ...

Very interesting period !!!

http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/LATIN%20LORDSHIPS%20IN%20GREECE.htm
http://www.earlyblazon.com/
http://perfectcaptain.50megs.com/shadow.html

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 07:30:28 AM »
There will be a Crusades supplement for Clash of Empire coming out soon, which will have lists for Latin Greece as well as their adversaries. Whilst 28mm is the popular scale for these rules, there is no reason why they can't be played in 15mm.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 11:43:30 PM »
Thanks - I'd forgotten Legio Heroica, lovely figures!
I'd considered Clash of Empires, might have to do some digging for reviews & mechanisms.
It is such an interesting period, too many bits to get my head around!

Cheers!