Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:57:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Yet another hello  (Read 3615 times)

Offline Aesthete

• Librarian
    • Dispatches from the Miniature Front
Yet another hello
« on: February 28, 2008, 10:04:35 PM »
Hello everyone - just wanted to say hi (and make the obligatory one post so my newly registered account doesn't get deleted).

I've been looking around long enough to know not to post any swastikas or Japanese battleflags and to avoid mentioning that company in Notthingam.  I haven't quite figured out the tricorne/ bicorne thing so I'm going to stay neutral on that for now.

I've been enjoying all the eyecandy on these boards and am looking forward to gathering up the courage to post some of my own stuff... not that there's that much of it.

Cheers!
Dispatches from the Miniature Front - my occasionally updated blog

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Yet another hello
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 10:12:38 PM »
A hearty welcome to you! Tell us about your area of interest.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Yet another hello
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 10:27:33 PM »
I've been looking around long enough to know not to post any swastikas or Japanese battleflags and to avoid mentioning that company in Notthingam. I haven't quite figured out the tricorne/ bicorne thing so I'm going to stay neutral on that for now.

Quote from: "hammershield"

Let me guess, pentacorne-wearing Gwoundry Japanazis? :lol:

Just kidding. Hello and welcome, I say! And I have the highest hopes, going by your choice of nickname... :)

Offline Aesthete

• Librarian
Yet another hello
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 01:02:47 AM »
Quote from: "hammershield"

Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"
Let me guess, pentacorne-wearing Gwoundry Japanazis? :lol:

Just kidding. Hello and welcome, I say! And I have the highest hopes, going by your choice of nickname... :)

Actually, now that you mention it....

Well, I got scads and scads of 28mm minis, mostly fantasy and ancients/ medieval (especially vikings).  I've painted a tiny fraction of them and continue to do so, slowly, as induced mostly by my table top RPG needs.  But I'm a hella slow painter, alas.  Got some dribs and drabs of other minis as well, wild west, sci-fi and a few others.

My current imaginary project is getting a bunch of Bacchus 5mm English Civil War minis and  trying out the Polemos rules.  Not sure when it's going to happen.  I'll have to consult the finance minister on that.  I'd also love to get some 5mm Samurai going, but I still haven't found an appropriate set of rules for that.

As for my name, I'm afraid it applies mainly to me being a judgemental bastard when I look at things rather than to me having exceptional skills, alas.  I'm an average painter I think, and really really really slow.  But at some point I guess I'll take some pictures of my few recently painted minis and post them.  You know... to try to fit in.

Cheers, and thanks for the welcome!

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Yet another hello
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 01:19:01 AM »
Gentlemen of taste and sophistication prefer Baccus for their 6mm needs. For the samurai, rules are almost superfluous - buy them, paint them up, and then admire them.

Welcome to this forum. If you're worried about your painting skill, there are a bunch of us entering the next painting contest as the Forlorn Hope Division - we stand no chance of winning, we are going to participate as an exercise in public self-improvement.

It's sort of like Maoist public political self-examination, only with 40% less jargon.

Offline Aesthete

• Librarian
Yet another hello
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 01:40:22 AM »
How embarassing.  6mm.  Not 5mm.

:oops:

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Yet another hello
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 03:10:43 AM »
Welcome. :)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Yet another hello
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 07:42:15 PM »
A Hugo Pratt fan?

Good, good...
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Yet another hello
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 09:00:25 PM »
For Samurai battles it might be worth looking at "Battles in the Age of War" by Peter Pig (not released yet but due soon). Similar format to their established War of the Roses rules. Work with stands of figures, each infantry stand 3cm square, so it doesn't entirely matter what scale you play in.
Are you in the UK ?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Aesthete

• Librarian
Yet another hello
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 09:55:04 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
A Hugo Pratt fan?

Good, good...

Yes indeed.  I've been hoping to find a nice English language version of the books, but so far have had no luck.

I did once stay in a small pension in Venice where Corto Maltese stayed as well.  You know... in case you were wondering.

Offline Aesthete

• Librarian
Yet another hello
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 09:55:58 PM »
Quote from: "fastolfrus"
For Samurai battles it might be worth looking at "Battles in the Age of War" by Peter Pig (not released yet but due soon). Similar format to their established War of the Roses rules. Work with stands of figures, each infantry stand 3cm square, so it doesn't entirely matter what scale you play in.
Are you in the UK ?

Thanks for the tip.  I'll keep my eyes open for it.

I'm not, alas, in the UK but rather in the distant colonies.  Vancouver, British Columbia, to be exact.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Yet another hello
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 10:04:21 PM »
Send an email to Martin at Peter Pig and ask if he needs any playtesting done - I suspect they are almost ready to publish but it's worth a try.

Offline Aesthete

• Librarian
Yet another hello
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 01:29:42 AM »
Quote from: "fastolfrus"
Send an email to Martin at Peter Pig and ask if he needs any playtesting done - I suspect they are almost ready to publish but it's worth a try.

Thanks for the tip :)

To be honest, I don't think I could commit to properly play test the rules, so while I'd love to see them pre-publishing, I don't think it'd be fair to ask for them.

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Yet another hello
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 08:43:39 AM »
Hello and welcome :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing