Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:11:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690730
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) Mongoose's Judge Dredd Block War  (Read 39782 times)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
(KICKSTARTER) Mongoose's Judge Dredd Block War
« on: September 07, 2012, 06:47:17 AM »
Everybody and their uncle is doing KS now. Mongoose's starts on Thursday 13th September:
http://blog.mongoosepublishing.co.uk/?p=352
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 06:34:37 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Re: Mongoose's Judge Dredd Block War KickStarter
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 10:35:21 AM »
Hmmm... Brit-Cit and Sov Judges, and the long rumoured Manta Tank...

This is tempting to get on board with, but I know I'll just wait until they are all available in the stores.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 10:48:46 AM »
The Manta is a little on the steep side. I know it's a brick but still it's US$100 for a single mini :?

Besides, I was really hoping for a plastic kit.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 01:51:17 AM »
$5 for Dredd? With free postage to Australia? Count me in.

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 02:30:36 AM »
$5 for Dredd? With free postage to Australia? Count me in.

meanwhile they're charging 9£ GBP  Postage for a single Mini on their Webstore  >:( >:(

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 03:53:40 AM »
Grud on a greenie! I'll be there! You'd have to had sailed through space on a piece of synthi-toast to not get on board with Dredd!

Online Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 09:41:56 AM »
To be honest I get a bit tired of all that Kickstarters around.  :` :`
Gone are the days when a company was so sure about their idea that they risked their own money...
 ;) ;)

Anyway the Judge for 5 is too good to be missed!  8)
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 09:50:20 AM »
Have to agree with Agis there, starting to feel very corporate now... :?

Having said that approx. £160 for ten boxed sets (  $300 ) post free is very good value. Although I'd settle for a lawmaster judge for $20 post free.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 08:32:21 PM »
Always got a kick out of Dredd, but I won't back a Mongoose KS. Mongoose has zero credibility in my book.

That said, I might buy some of the figs if they ever made it into production. And were decent quality.

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 08:55:19 AM »
Always got a kick out of Dredd, but I won't back a Mongoose KS. Mongoose has zero credibility in my book.

Whys this? Been thinking about buying some mongoose for a while.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 09:04:36 AM »
Can't say about Dentatus but quite a lot of people are really sore about Mongoose pulling the plug on Starship Troopers plus prolly a couple of other things as well. In other words, they have a rep of the "Matt Sprange pissed in my morning cereal" calibre among quite a few gamers. Which is one reason I doubt this KS is going to make millions of $.

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 09:43:29 AM »
i have No Issues with Matt/Mongoose,personally i just think the Foundry Minis are much nicer,besides alot of the Mongoose having Misscast Parts  :-[ :-[

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
I've been lucky in that regard I suppose, since I do hear terrible things about Mongoose mini quality. Don't have many many of them all told tho.

It should be noted that although some of the models related to the pledge are new, the Dredd they are giving out for a fiver is not a new model. In fact, it appears to be the older "posing Dredd" from back in the day, not the new "action Dredd" of a year or so ago. Which may or may not raise concerns about the casting quality.

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 03:38:11 AM »
Mongoose issues are a whole seperate thread, but the basics of it is Mongoose, and Matte Sprange in particular, has a very big mouth that spouts off about every awesome idea he has, but at the end of the day what makes it to market is a shallow shadow of what was promised (and that's IF it ever makes it to market, hello SST:Evolution, prepainted B5 ships, SST landing craft, plastic LAMI troopers). They have a lot of grande ideas that they LOVE telling their customers are going to happen, but they don't really have the resources or the ability to pull it off something big, they're still a small company. So you get SST with missed release after missed release, the Battlefield Evolution prepainted debacle that nearly shut them down for good, the 4 editions of babylon 5 in as many years (only to very suddenly be dropped). And during all of it, right up until the the fire sale to ditch their remaining stock, Mongoose proclaims how great the game is doing and what big plans they have in the future.

I love mongoose games, and Matt Sprange is a nice guy who is very active in a very negative community and you can tell he's a gamer and a fan himself, but the company is just run terribly and it's excuse after excuse after excuse as to why the games fail. Most of my friends were so burned they'll never touch a mongoose game again, not even if it's using my stuff.

But that said, their Judge Dredd game is one of their earliest mini games and is still around, and is apparently now based on a modified small-skirmish version of the SST rules (which were great). Although I like their games, my trust in the company is zero.
~Kalamadea
(aka Ember)
My Image Gallery

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 11:21:22 AM »
Well I hope this KS goes well for them, but I won't be pledging, as there isn't much there that's really grabbing me. I've recently sold a lot of my Dredd minis due to lack of interest in getting a campaign going. Unfortunately, so far the release schedule has been some what random, it's more like a 2000ad miniature collection, as opposed to a working game, which is fine if that's what people want, but I suspect Foundry would be the go to place for nice Dredd minis.

I' heard that MP had a bit of a bad rep, but I was never sure why, I've always had decent dealings with them, except their postage costs, which I'm slightly dubious about. But reading various forum threads I can kinda see some points. I will admit, I actually think the forerunner to the new Dredd game, Gangs of Mega City 1, was actually a better system, especially for campaigns, and had a much more focused schedule, as opposed to miniatures some one wanted to see, then tagging some rules along with it.

Hopefully, this KS project might get things on track, so I'll certainly keep my eyes on it, even if I'm not pledging.