Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:48:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690822
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fur-clad northern or ice age hunters?  (Read 3818 times)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Fur-clad northern or ice age hunters?
« on: March 02, 2008, 05:04:59 PM »
Normally when I'm looking for some miniature I ask on TMP, but this time I'll try LAF (and maybe save TMP for later, if there's no luck here).

I'm looking for some fur-clad hunters with primitive(ish) weapons, that would look at home in a cold climate. I know there are Inuit miniatures from at least three companies but that's not exactly the look I'm going for, I want something more like ice age cavemen:

Almost all cavemen miniatures I've seen look like they belong in a very hot climate, for some reason.

Anything with the right fur-clad look will do, cavemen or no.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 05:25:24 PM »
I dont think there are any on the market, infact I am sure there aren`t I have seen CC Dan on the cave wars group convert some on the Cavewars group but otherwise zilch :(

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 05:47:18 PM »
That's an incentive to join the cave wars group then, if I'm not already a member (have to check)

By the way, I'm not above converting Orcs, Trolls or something like that, as long as their sizes and poses look human enough. And I repeat, they don't have to be cavemen, I'm not intending to use them as such, anyway (rather, as generic northern aboriginals or half-savage mountain men in Swords-and-Sorcery). Some armour and other things of a more medieval bent are acceptable.

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 06:03:43 PM »
Try Inuit minis.

There are two choices here - Copplestone or Bear's Den. For conversion purposes I'd go for Bear's Dean. They're slightly cheaper, and the heads would need less work on them to convert to something more Caucasian (if that's your thing), as the Copplestone figs would look a bit odd with green stuff-ed beards.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 06:44:51 PM »
You know, I think you should go over Foudnry's Old West Indian packs. I think there maybe some figures with suitable clothing and if you sculpt in some beards, and add some furs, you should be able to come up wiith something close.

Like these:

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 06:48:09 PM »
Or some viking berserkers? A bit too modern perhaps.

The HLBS cavemen seem appropriate:

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 08:56:24 PM »
Converting Native Americans or Inuits are my "last resort" option, if I don't find anything better. Which is not to say it's a bad choice, just kind of demanding. I did check out the Foundry Mountain Men as well, but thought they seemed even more demanding. I hadn't considered Norse. They might work, though the furs they wear look more like a fashion statement than a means to stay warm. The HLBC Cavemen are borderline, they'd still need more furs/pelts/hides sculpted on.

The suggestion of Norse Berserkers reminded me of these "Hillmen" from Vendel:

They're still not perfect (too naked, and kind of monotonous-looking), so other suggestions are still welcome. But at the moment I think they're my best bet.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm shooting down everyone's thoughtful suggestions; I guess I'm still just holding out for a more perfect alternative that'd take less converting.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Fur-clad northern or ice age hunters?
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 09:27:27 PM »
Quote from: "Rhoderic"

Anything with the right fur-clad look will do, cavemen or no.

I think I've met him.

Does he work at the Karmoy Radhus ?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)