Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:41:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689808
  • Total Topics: 118297
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k Compatible Templates (Destroyed Vehicles)  (Read 3471 times)

Offline GravenGames

• Assistant
Warhammer 40k Compatible Templates (Destroyed Vehicles)
« on: September 12, 2012, 06:11:49 PM »
We've been trying out a selection of Warhammer 40k compatible templates designed to represent destroyed vehicles in games of 40k.   

More pics and info here:
Warhammer 40k Compatible Templates Review - GravenGames

We can definitely see a use for these in some of our games, and like that you can choose from a vast range of colours to match your army. Is anyone else already using these in place of normal craters?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Warhammer 40k Compatible Templates (Destroyed Vehicles)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 09:15:17 PM »
What's the purpose though?  Don't destroyed vehicles remain in play, and are used to block LOS - so leave the vehicle on the table, toss some black cotton balls on it - and call it good?  I guess I don't see the point.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 10:02:27 PM »
Nor me, and a burning vehicle looks nicer than an orange plastic rectangle. :o
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 04:02:20 AM »
Not sure they're that useful for their intended use, but I'm almost more interested in non-destroyed templates to use as counters or proxies. For the price of a single rhino you could have an army worth of templates that would store in a small pencil box. Buy some of the craft foam-rubber sheets for terrain templates and a small board-game box could get you a full travel set of 40k with a few armies. Be nice for some hotelroom games at cons or visiting friends without having to bring the whole army case. Would never replace actual minis (I love my toys!) but I can see some interesting uses for these.
~Kalamadea
(aka Ember)
My Image Gallery

Offline GravenGames

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 07:25:50 AM »
Interesting thought on using them as proxies!

I think the idea is, if the vehicle is wrecked, leave it on the table to block line of sight. if it explodes, you need to remove it and place a crater. Serious tounament players may argue about the sizer of crater being placed, so this way the crater is the exact size of the vehicle.

I believe that this company will also cut these shapes out of wood for you if you wanted to decorate them with rubble/paint and make them look more realistic, while keeping the right size.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 08:11:35 AM »
Big fat "meh" if I'm honest.   :?

Even if you use them as template proxies, why not just use card cutouts? Seems daft to "save money and space" only to go out any buy the acrylic templates instead of just cutting some out... Or even printing out a top-down photo of a rhino in colour, cutting it out and home-laminating it. Hell, you could do a whole army like that!

As far as arguing over the size of the crater... Well, if people are going to argue, they're going to argue anyway; making the crater the size and shape of a Rhino is no better or more "legal" than just using a 4" diameter circle cut out of card, or anything else for that matter, if the size isn't defined somewhere in the first place.

I think stuff like this is just a waste of time. Sure, acrylic tokens and templates are nice and handy. But I do get the strong impression that sellers run out of ideas fast after that.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 11:52:50 AM »
Nice, but Pointless

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 05:55:02 PM »
I can see one really big use for these templates in tournament play. I used to face people who play with unpainted minis, and they didn't give two figs if they scratched up your models while they push their shiny lead/plastic/resin squads past that wreck. Years ago I had a Tyranid player pushing all his gaunts into contact with my carefully painted Praetorian Guard and chipped a good six or seven figures in one go. I'm proud I didn't deck him there and then.   

Offline Greenman

• Lurker
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 04:13:49 AM »
Hey everyone,

Just caught the post today when I was looking around on line here in Afghanistan during my Army Deployment.

First off I would thank Graven Games for featuring and blogging about my products.

The second thing if I may is make statement regarding the previous posts in regards to the Vehicle Destroyed templates. 

I am a competitive player and have played 40k for years. There are two main reasons I designed these templates for game play. The first reason and the main purpose of these templates is when you completely obliterate a vehicle in 40k the vehicle is completely removed from play, leaving behind a vehicle sized crater in its place. Now I have played alot of games and most of the time my opponents would drop some dice down to mark the corners of the vehicle to represent the crater. It was all well and good as long as the dice remained there but later in the game the dice got moved and suddenly the crater was gone from the game.  The second reason I designed them was I was tired of my miniatures falling and getting scratched up by the make shift crates or even the pre-made round craters. Though for a realistic effect on the table these look great and I love the realism, but after the years of touch up work on models (that took hours to paint) that have fallen on the custom rock designed craters or sand covered terrain and what not, I decided to make something that is quick simple and gets the job done effectively and accurately. So thus the GDI Vehicle Destroyed Templates were born.

Through game play and tournaments I have found that the templates also serve a nice purpose of a flat level surface for terrain features to represent vehicles that would normally fall down or you can place the templates on top a the destroyed vehicles to allow a safe flat surface for the models to be placed on with out scratching or chipping the awesome paint job you did on the vehicle.

Though I realize these templates are not for everyone and are not a requirement to play in any game. They are a great template to have and use in any army for competitive and casual play. There are some cool things I can do for them like custom colors to match your armies, engrave names and even engrave custom Army Icons.  I also make the templates in MDF wood for those of you that are the do it yourselfers and would like to add the hobby aspect of it with broken tanks pieces and what not and still have the exact size that the crater should be for game play. 

Here is a link to Blue Table Painting and what they have been able to do with

Thank you all for your posts regarding GDI products and I wish you all the best of luck gaming and may many wins go your way.

Best Regards ,

Josh Greenman
Greenman Designs Inc.
gdesignsinc.com