Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:16:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Which companies produce fantasy figures compatible with Dark Sword miniatures?  (Read 2014 times)

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
So, yeah. Which companies produce fantasy figures compatible with Dark Sword miniatures?
I'm thinking about buying a few figures of Dark Sword's A Song of Ice and Fire range, but are there any other companies out there that make figures of roughly the same scale, since the Dark Sword figures are pretty big?
Thanks!
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
Yes, it's a real shame that they didn't think to make the range compatible with other ranges. I suppose they thought it would make it more "exclusive". The figures aren't even compatible with Tom Meier's own range.

I don't know what might work - Manorhouse were large figures and there is am small US company whose name I can't quite recall. DGM? Or something similar. Only they were making figures for their own specific fantasy setting so perhaps not the correct style, even if the scale worked.

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
Dark Sword is diffcult. I have the witch and a friend of mine has lots of the Elmore stuff. Scalewise everything in 1/50 or heroic 28mm should work well, but dark Sword has realistic weapons sizes that don't look well next to the LARP-swords Reaper or GW do. Maybe the uncontinued War Crow series by Corvus Belli looks well next to it. At least they do when I put them next to the witch.
Far less active than I used to...

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
Thank you both for your replies, I shall check out the miniature companies/ranges you suggested.

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
CyberAlien, I honestly don't think you're going to find a match. I believe as you were in on this thread here, http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?;topic=44692.0, you've seen the comparison pics. Rackham is a match size wise but style-wise no match at all. You might find some other european micro-brew range similar in size to Rackham but they would follow Rackham's queues style-wise as well, probably. I'm told the Song of Ice and Fire range is larger than the other Dark Sword Meier figs as well, so you probably won't want to pull those in in.

If you're stubborn and not super-picky maybe use some select Rackham figs and replace the weapons. But then you're next task will be to find 37mm "true-scale" weapons.  lol Probably just as hard as the first task!

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
Spooktalker:
Yes, I'm afraid you're right.  :(
It seems I'll have to stick to Dark Sword figures if I want an a Song of Ice and Fire collection.

Damn, why couldn't they just make the range compatible with other companies? I would love to use Perry Miniatures' Wars of the Roses figures for common soldiers, but they just aren't compatible.
Oh, well.

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
Yeah, too bad, I agree! The Dark Sword choices seem a bit odd. They seem to have chosen a middle ground between gaming-scale figures and collector scale figures in hopes to please several demographics, but in the end, do they satisfy either? If I held the license I would attempt to break open a larger market and sell to collectors who would never consider picking up a brush or a file. Maybe like what Perth Pewter do, or Franklin Mint. Offer their figures finished and stained and continue to offer unfinished casts for painters as they do now for the current prices. But what they should have done is make all the figs in 54mm and 28mm instead of all the figs at 37mm and a few at 54mm. And then get back their investments on the 54mm range by advertising the finished 54mm figs in National Geographic. I'm right on this, aren't I? They should hire me in marketing.  lol