Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:18:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire in 25mm  (Read 99977 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire in 25mm
« Reply #435 on: January 27, 2019, 11:02:30 AM »
{bump}

Any photos of your Unsullied .... you might be the only one to have put some together so far from what I can see?

:)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #436 on: January 27, 2019, 02:28:08 PM »
going back a while in time now - but love the pic a page or two back of your figs in tin lids!

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #437 on: February 06, 2019, 02:13:50 PM »
Not any photos as yet, but they are basically converted Warlord Carthaginians and I was going to have a go at sculpting the Indian face guards from the TV series.
In the books they are described as having a pair of spears and leather armour, with rank badges of one, two or three central spikes on their helmets so I envisaged them more like later peltasts http://home.exetel.com.au/thrace/iphicrat.htm
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #438 on: February 06, 2019, 06:18:45 PM »
Not any photos as yet, but they are basically converted Warlord Carthaginians and I was going to have a go at sculpting the Indian face guards from the TV series.

Photos....please.....photos....need inspiration .....

:D

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #439 on: April 01, 2019, 11:11:35 AM »
Having used up my budget at Skirmish earlier this year I am being very good and avoiding the temptation of Salute and concentrating on my existing plastic and metal mountain.
After a lengthy break I am reconfiguring my Middle Earth and Westeros collections for Lion/Dragon Rampant. I have almost completed repainting 6 x 6 figure Eoreds of GW Rohirrim, assembled from various Bring and Buys and conversions and repairs over the years. They will join my venerable collection of 24 Mithril Miniatures RoR once I have addressed leg breakages etc. that seem to have cursed all versions of Rohirrim over the decades. I have just now finished assembling a 24-36 pt Dunlending host. The book versions had a definite Dark Age Pictish tribal vibe so I have used GB Dark Age cavalry and infantry with a few characterful Copplestone barbarians as heroes and chieftains and some Celtic bits and bobs thrown in. There is even a renegade Rohan rider in the mix disguised with a new head! The wolfshead draco standard will do well as the notional sigil for Wulf Frecasson who briefly usurped Edoras (TA 2758-9) but I can also use the host for a Helms Deep refight as well as various skirmishes etc. as LR/DR intended. The force comprises 3 x 6 cavalry (including a Mtd Chieftain's retinue), 2 x 12 axe and spear wielding warbands, probably designated 'fierce foot', a 6 fig unit of elite axe-wielding ne'er do wells, and a unit of 12 scruffy archers. I may well throw in a unit of wardogs on a work placement from the Boltons for good measure... something bitey to keep the Rohirrim on their toes... Next up I will be revisiting and finishing off those all important Orkish legions of Saruman. Then the whole host of the White Hand can go on safari for horseflesh...or better.   

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #440 on: April 02, 2019, 02:54:04 PM »
I've taken a leaf out of others' playbooks and converted and re-tasked some figures from my spares box. 24 GW Minas Tirith guard have been given a makeover as Goldcloaks. The mail and plate armour seems better suited for Westeros than Middle Earth imho. I've whittled off the white tree motifs, substituted Perry WOTR sallets for the ideosyncratic helmets and added Fireforge cloaks. Two figures have been promoted to officers and equipped with pollaxe and mace respectively. The book descriptions state that the cloaks are woollen, so the 'gold' colour is less gold lame/satin and more a robust golden yellow/tawney shade. The  squared off Minas Tirith shield shapes look quite pavise-like which suits a militia/city watch. The rank and file have pale yellow tunics and signal yellow painted shields. The two officers have the book heraldry of 4 golden discs on a sable background, which I hope to repeat on their breastplates. With blackened armour and black leatherwork they make a couple of striking units.
I have organised them for LR/DR into 2 units of 12, a mixed weapons unit including 5 archers, a commander and 6 spears, and a unit of men at arms with spears and swords. They will coming off the painting line shortly and I'll post pics weather permitting.

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #441 on: April 02, 2019, 03:45:04 PM »
Eagerly awaiting pics. After a long hiatus due to some significant life changes, I've dug my Westeros and LotR projects out of deep storage. Finishing up building Tully and Arryn forces for LR/DR and, after that, want to finish painting my Greyjoy raiders.
With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #442 on: April 02, 2019, 04:18:14 PM »
Eagerly awaiting pics. After a long hiatus due to some significant life changes, I've dug my Westeros and LotR projects out of deep storage.
Nice to see you back on the board, DG. I've been off the grid for such a long time now. I took a back stage last year to concentrate on some work related projects which took up much of my spare time with some real-world toys (see pic), but have been tinkering away on scenery and figures for both Westeros and Middle Earth for a while now.
I'm leaning towards a DBA-like solo campaign with the ability to field multiple LR/DR armies representing various factions in both universes. I'm not sure quite how to organise it or the mechanics, but the kernel of an idea is there possibly using a network or web citing march distances allowing you to write orders and send forces to seize or hold objectives and thus create the opportunity for random encounters and battles.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 04:20:02 PM by sukhe_bator »

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #443 on: April 24, 2019, 09:52:30 AM »
A recent reappraisal of my forces in the Easter sunshine... Duskendale alliance contingents intended to face Tallhart and Glover's Northern assault on the Crownlands. Forces from L to R House Leygood, Rosby, Fossoway#1, Fossoway#2, Stokeworth and Rykker. Now the final organisation has been completed, time to take each house in turn and finish off the details before varnishing...

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #444 on: April 24, 2019, 10:01:50 AM »
It’s great to see them lined up for battle - what rules are you going to use?

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #445 on: April 24, 2019, 10:24:30 AM »
And the Westerlands, which at full strength will be 12 houses strong...
Back row (from L to R) House Prester, Swyft, Marbrand, Jast and Crakehall, Front row (L to R) House Westerling, Lefford, Clegane, Lannister (x2), Brax and Bettley. Just one additional house to represent ideally from book descriptions only. Martin can be surprisingly vague on such matters and concentrates on the sigils, but not necessarily their colours or the field colours. He also has a pechant for combining un-heraldic metals and tinctures. Each House is composed of 4 bow, 2 crossbow, CO and Standard bearer, 2 bill and 2 pike. These will be combined into mixed or single arms units. To answer Akula's question, I'm looking to use Dragon/Lion Rampant, with bolt-on campaign rules (tbc) and house rules for field defences and rudimentary sieges. I plan to include separate bases/stands of pavises for the crossbowmen in due course.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #446 on: April 24, 2019, 10:38:53 AM »
The Riverlands, who are currently somewhat understrength from my recent unit reorganisation, but will also ultimately be represented by 12 houses each of 12 men, but with 6 bow instead of crossbowmen. The back row will be House Haigh, Erenford, Charlton and Smallwood. The Front row (L to R) are House Frey, Piper, Mallister, Tully, Blackwood, Paege and Bracken. The 12th House will probably be House Whent since Darry was wiped out quite early on in proceedings...   

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #447 on: April 24, 2019, 11:44:16 AM »
Last but by no means least, The North. This was the first faction I started building before Fireforge introduced some fab C13 figures and then along came the Perry Azincourt ranges... 10 later-looking Perry pike conversions will be joining my Riverlands host to be replaced by more appropriately dressed and equipped bill and spearmen morphed from Fireforge and Perry C13-C15 combos.
Back row (L to R) w.i.p. House Cerwyn and Dustin, with Glover, Hornwood and Ryswell. Front row (L to R) House Stark, Tallhart, Karstark, Umber and Bolton. Manderly and Mormont will form the last 2 Houses to make up a 12 House faction.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #448 on: April 24, 2019, 08:14:18 PM »
Really impressive forces! Looking excellent!

Excellent banners too! I like your interpretation of the Hornwood Moose!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #449 on: April 24, 2019, 09:32:14 PM »
It’s not just the scale of the project - 500 odd figures - but the range of different Houses that makes it so impressive.

:o