Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:07:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire in 25mm  (Read 99564 times)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
A Song of Ice and Fire in 25mm
« on: September 17, 2012, 11:26:31 AM »
Like many of you I see inspired to model this 'period', I am embarking on a project to wargame Westeros.
I like many of the proxy choices/conversions discussed so far and the painted results are simply inspirational.
I'm using Gripping Beast vikings not only as a source of heads for the Northern Bannermen, but also to model a raiding party of Ironborn under the Greyjoy kraken banner. I'm modelling all of them with swords and axes and am considering converting either a Bretonnian foot knight or Gondorian as the plate armoured Admiral Victarion and sculpting the kraken motif on his helmet with green stuff.

I also had a thought to using some of my LOTR Army of the Dead as undead wights. I even tried converting one to a White Walker by carving away his sword into an 'ice dagger' and painting silver and ice blue/green colours to replicate the 'stealth' armour they wear... The simple addition of the piercing ice-blue eyes is quite striking
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire in 25mm
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »
Like many of you I see inspired to model this 'period', I am embarking on a project to wargame Westeros.

Hoo-rah!

I've also got a few spare GB viking and saxon heads to use for that purpose; but after putting together the full minis (as vikings and saxons!) I might look elsewhere for Ironborn.  A wee tad too fiddly for my liking.

Any pics of your first White Walker?  Sounds interesting.

Do you have any particular rules in mind?

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 06:32:29 PM »
Yes some pictures would be good. I'm currently working on a small Song of Ice and Fire project of my own. Hopefully some day I'll get enough done to start up my own thread, until then I love reading others for inspiration.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 07:45:12 AM »
I kinda like the sound of using the LOTR skirmish game system. My wife found me a copy in a charity shop. I normally game (when I ever get round to it) using Armies of Arcana, but to be honest the modelling side is what is driving me most and I'm simply using the spare individual round bases that I had knocking around for now.
I'm in the middle of doing a load of flags of the Northern Bannermen. I find that helps keeps the drive going, wanting to put figures behind the banners...
I'll post a pic of the 'white walker' soon

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 09:18:15 AM »
I need to work on the 'ice cold piercing blue eyes' and the pale white flesh tones, but this is how my wight or possibly even 'white walker' is coming along before detailing and highlighting. I've pared down the sword to make it the ice-like shard the Others use...
In the books they are supposed to wear 'stealth' like reflective armour so cold swirling tones are needed - I've been mixing silver in with blues and greens... any suggestions?

If all goes well I shall do the rest of the Army of the Dead with similar eyes so they can double as Wights either for ASOIAF or LOTR.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 01:47:02 PM by sukhe_bator »

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 12:06:39 PM »
That works for me. It looks really good, I like the colours you've used on the armour, very effective.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 05:28:54 PM »
The Other looks very good!  Having really liked your Lord of the Rings stuff in the past, I look forward to what you come up with for westeros.  :)

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 12:06:20 AM »
The Others take you and your finished model and nice results!
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 07:49:59 AM »
Managed to pick up some GW LOTR figures at a local show for a Song,
I now have 4 Dunlendings to use as Ironborn leaders, 'Denethor' to convert as Balon Greyjoy, a female fighter to convert as Asha Greyjoy, and several Ithilien rangers as Night's Watch. I also got hold of a Moria Cave Troll that I'd thought I'd convert into a giant/wild man of the woods...

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 05:21:54 PM »
If you're looking for character models, Darksword Miniatures has the license to produce the range and they have some very nice figures already.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 07:50:48 AM »
Reading ASOIAF I find Martin's blending of historical references both intriguing and as a modeller somewhat frustrating. I enjoy the richness of the language and he evokes the medieval feel of Westeros extremely well. He has stated that he has the Wars of The Roses in mind which I can see in the dynastic powerplay that unfolds, but his constant references to mail and greathelms with crests on and the use of simplified heraldry (sigils) puts me firmly in mind of the C13. The HBO series used Hundred Years War references such as the bascinets used by the Northern Bannermen and Far Eastern and later western references for the Lannisters, with even a bit of Turkish thrown in the mix for the City Guardsmen of King's Landing.
I'm looking to use HYW figures and earlier for the North, and a blend of HYW/WOTR for the South with my own visual take on Westeros.
Am making good progress with my Moria Troll/Giant conversion. Hope to post pics of WIP soon.     

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 06:02:47 PM »
I'm using a mix of Perry HYW/WOTR minis for my project.

When he states WOTR as an influence I always take that to mean the dynastic power struggles of the time rather than the arms and equipment etc as in my mind they seem to fit an earlier time frame historically.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »
Some WIP pics of my Cave Troll / Giant conversion. I've completed the 'shaggification' but left the underarms, hands and toes free of fur, as well as the chest and belly area, so he is a little gorilla-like. I didn't want to obscure all the original troll detail. I shall be putting him on a large round base (when I can find one) and adding a few details from my bits box - I seem to remember there being some severed heads to hang from his belt around somewhere. He's a little rough around the edges when viewed close up like this warts-an-all, but will paint up well I think...

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 01:47:24 PM by sukhe_bator »

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 10:18:19 AM »
Excellent! I was a bit dubious when you said you were using a cave troll but it actually looks really good.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 12:46:08 PM »
That's abominable!  ;)

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.