Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:33:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690674
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mr Brown goes off to Town on the 8:21  (Read 22301 times)

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
Mr Brown goes off to Town on the 8:21
« on: March 06, 2008, 08:28:31 AM »
I thought I would have an attempt at posting my Dads Army project , partly as a learning experience for me and see if I can get any advice.
I have painted the figures in a wash and dry brush method.  I got really tired of doing three color painting on my Germans which took me so long that some of my models were not finished in time for last years Demo game.
I hope my photography improves as I go along.

1st up the Characters .

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 08:39:34 AM »
Not sure if this should be in the Weird World War 2 gallery  :P

The figures look better in the flesh as the flash destroys most of the highlights. BigglesWade does not look as shiny and the Uniform looks much better. :(
I was not sure about the Dispatch Riders arm band and other details so please point out any mistakes.

Extras

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 08:42:21 AM »
Next up 1st section (until I re-organise the whole platoon)

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 08:48:40 AM »
At the moment I'm working on the second section and Mr Brown . It usually takes me about ten days to paint ten figures in a batch and I usually do some other prep or painting for other projects at the same time.

I'm also working on an Armed fishing boat for a German Landing/rescue party . Which started as transport for baby Kong for my Pulp games but got neglected when my mad mate left the country (you need a Mad mate for Pulp projects to bounce ideas off) :wink:

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 09:31:37 AM »
Lovely stuff, you can't beat a bit of Dads Army :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 09:42:53 AM »
Very nice.  :) I keep thinking about spending my as yet unborn children's inheritance on these figs (that's how much they seem to cost, anyway) just for a bit of fun. And you're not helping, matey.

I think the wash and drybrush looks fine on them, especially if they're going to be fielded en masse.

Just a thought, but if you're having probems with reflections when you take the pictures, try using more light from a static source like a couple of anglepoise lamps, and turning the flash on your camera off. Should help a bit.

Offline Jules

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 07:50:11 PM »
Don't panic!!!

Stupid boy

Don't tell him your name Pike!

Brilliant stuff now for the 1940s sea side buildings :)

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 08:24:47 PM »
Great looking group there, Dan.  I just might have to move back to Welly!

Sorry to hear about Steve Castle.

Cheers

Will

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 03:32:53 AM »
Hi Will , and all , yes shame about Steve . I dont think he will make TMP but a great loss to our gaming community. :(

Thanks for the kind comments .
I tried using a couple of lamps but they just made things worse , so think I will have to get some lower powered bulbs . I also tried to reflect the light off some paper but that did'nt work either.

I have in mind a mad idea about doing a sea front with bathing huts , the destroyed pier and the Novelty Rock Emporium . But as nearly everything was done on a set I will have to use my imagination quite a bit or , base it off some suitable photographs.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 08:38:28 AM »
Quote from: "Dan"
Hi Will , and all , yes shame about Steve . I dont think he will make TMP but a great loss to our gaming community. :(

Thanks for the kind comments .
I tried using a couple of lamps but they just made things worse , so think I will have to get some lower powered bulbs . I also tried to reflect the light off some paper but that did'nt work either.

I have in mind a mad idea about doing a sea front with bathing huts , the destroyed pier and the Novelty Rock Emporium . But as nearly everything was done on a set I will have to use my imagination quite a bit or , base it off some suitable photographs.

Try Googling photos of the Norfolk/Suffolk coast. Great Yarmouth has a pier and Southwold has a good seafront. Most of the exterior locations done in and around Thetford forest area and some Norfolk villages.
I have a Dads Army book at home I will see if it gives any references for the locations.

Offline skirmishman

• Assistant
mr brown ect
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 09:12:51 AM »
Good morning everyone I personally find all this stuff fascinating. I vivdly remeber watching Dads army when it first came out and my dad telling me that they went on exercises with the Home Guard ,he also said during street fighting training the regulars were firing at the home guard from first story buildings .Then getting complaints via the umpire for fighting "unfairly".Operation Sea lion is a fascinating what if period to game .Can I reccomend Keneth Macksey book "Operation Sea Lion " and "Battle fields that never were" ,defended England 1940 by  William Foot .Also "Last Ditch" by david Lampe this covers the formation of the so called stay behind units,all useful for background information and scenario ideas.David. :)  :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: mr brown ect
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 09:16:35 AM »
Quote from: "skirmishman"
I vivdly remeber watching Dads army when it first came out and my dad telling me that they went on exercises with the Home Guard ,he also said during street fighting training the regulars were firing at the home guard from first story buildings .Then getting complaints via the umpire for fighting "unfairly"

There is a rather amusing episode of 'Foyle's War' similar to this.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 06:22:22 PM »
There was a series of mgazines released with DVDs a couple of years ago, they sometimes crop up in second hand shops. I think we have one that features a town map, I'll see if I can find it.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 03:25:31 AM »
Hi guys , thanks for all the kind offers of help. 8)
I have Googled a few piers to get some general ideas and have got three of the BBC DVDs so am studying them for ideas .
I think this subject will keep me occupied for awhile. :lol:

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 10:00:06 PM »
Lovely painting. 8)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin