Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:30:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689477
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: To RV or not to RV? Now available!  (Read 9552 times)

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: To RV or not to RV?
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2012, 10:32:50 AM »
only a couple of inches or so wider and  it would have been idea. Again shame.

I am with the Commander here. Its way to small for 28mm miniatures, and its a shame, since a RV is high up on my wish list. Everyone making stuff for zombies would love one I am sure hehe.
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline Ulu Elsomalien

• Scientist
  • Prepainted General
    • Prépeint & Cie
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2012, 11:20:03 AM »
Nice RV and perfect scaling for me ! Reminds me "Breaking Bad", the lab-mobile (to cook meth).
A word for miniatures, scenery and rules compulsive buying ? Zhobbyllness !

Ulu Elsomalien

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2012, 01:06:20 PM »
I am with the Commander here. Its way to small for 28mm miniatures, and its a shame, since a RV is high up on my wish list. Everyone making stuff for zombies would love one I am sure hehe.

Sorry but a couple of inches would make it too big.

The modern ones are much bigger but if you look at the one in Walking Dead it is smaller.

If you took your miniatures off the GW style basis and perhaps used true '28mm' miniatures rather than those that are more 30mm+ then I think you'll find this is give or take spot on. I'm thinking Hasslefree survivors here.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2012, 05:45:15 PM »
Well aware of the walking dead winnie, and still feel that if it were a inch at least wider it would fit, using hasslefree survivors etc...

it's the take rather than the give that kills it for me... ;)

Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2012, 01:37:06 PM »
The weight is 171 grams, although the postage issue is answered now. Photos of casts soon. I'll let Crouchie know he's building at the wrong scale, I imagine he'll rebuild everything he's ever done once he knows...  ;)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2012, 08:32:40 PM »
Hah!

In my maths 2" is 5cm roughly. 5cm at this size s almost two miniatures tall. My car is about 6' give or take. Trucks are wider but not by another cars width.

So taking all into consideration I will go with Soapy as an RV at this size over 10cm wide would be rediculous.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2012, 10:13:18 AM »
Sarcasm aside Phil, as I've said and meant, genuinely good luck with this.

The Commander
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:21:54 AM by Commander Vyper »

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2012, 10:57:20 AM »
Hah!

In my maths 2" is 5cm roughly. 5cm at this size s almost two miniatures tall. My car is about 6' give or take. Trucks are wider but not by another cars width.

So taking all into consideration I will go with Soapy as an RV at this size over 10cm wide would be rediculous.

So an inch would have been ideal mate. My T4 transporter is around 6 foot wide cabin width, with only just enough space, less than a foot, for a walkthrough from the front seats. Yup granted the older winnies are more compact, but I think that maybe half an inch to an inch tops would have helped and I agree that further two inches added to the width would have been too much.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:00:55 AM by Commander Vyper »

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2012, 11:11:16 AM »
I think 10mm would be enough if you really wanted to widen it purely for aesthetic reasons.

Remember that if 28mm is 6' the base is 25mm. There is clear space either side of the base. It may only account to 10mm but another 10mm still means that the winnie equates to 7.5 feet wide.

So you see it is a pretty exact science. Even another inch would equate to adding the best part of 6' onto the width. (roughly speeking at this scale 4.6mm, rounded down 4.7 if up, is equal to 1' in real terms). So the reality is we are talking about 5mm wider tops or 1/5th of an inch.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2012, 11:12:52 AM »
I think 10mm would be enough if you really wanted to widen it purely for aesthetic reasons.

Remember that if 28mm is 6' the base is 25mm. There is clear space either side of the base. It may only account to 10mm but another 10mm still means that the winnie equates to 7.5 feet wide.

So you see it is a pretty exact science. Even another inch would equate to adding the best part of 6' onto the width. (roughly speeking at this scale 4.6mm, rounded down 4.7 if up, is equal to 1' in real terms). So the reality is we are talking about 5mm wider tops or 1/5th of an inch.

Agreed. :)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2012, 07:00:36 PM »
I find it interesting that people find it too small given its 1/55th scale....do the same people also find the Fenris, TAG, Company B military vehicles to be too small...? 

If my memory serves me Vyper has a number of the Fenris humvee for his zombie project for starters....

They are all also 1/55th.  ;)

How about a GW Rhino....can you really get a squad of power armour in one of those...?

I don't think the photos did the RV much of a favour as the mini is on a bulky slotta - might look a better comparison with a figure on a washer or coin.

Personally I think it looks great - most of my vehicles are 1/55 with the odd 1:50 mixed in but then I don't stick my figures on hubcaps....if I did I'd use out of scale 1/43 vehicles

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2012, 07:36:21 PM »
I like the size.  As mentioned, if it was bigger, say 2 inches wide, I'd want a full interior.  But then that would need to be exaggerated as well do allow the bases on the figures.

For the LAF lurkers in the US, the first batch of these will be here in the states soon!  I'll be updating the website this weekend.  Also of note, it looks like our Japanese Zombies will also be in stock at the same time!

We'll also be offering limited resin versions of the Kamikaze and zombie version as well.  Plenty of zed to run over in your new RV.

Brent
Company B

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2012, 07:47:50 PM »
I base my purchases on aesthetics, to me the RV doesn't work. If you personally like it then great.

The fenris hummers work for me, so I use them.

I base my minis on slots and resin bases, again my choice.

I also get vehicles that work for me, including 1/43 to 1/55 and 1/50. Again what ever works for me I'll use.

Cheers

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 07:51:49 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2012, 12:13:57 AM »
Nice RV and perfect scaling for me ! Reminds me "Breaking Bad", the lab-mobile (to cook meth).

I've only just caught up with that series, the pilot episode is brilliant - I tried to explain the pose of the guy with the gun waiting for what he thought were cops to Kev of HF in the vain hope that he might do a figure of it...

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2012, 06:54:42 PM »
I find it interesting that people find it too small given its 1/55th scale....do the same people also find the Fenris, TAG, Company B military vehicles to be too small...? 

If my memory serves me Vyper has a number of the Fenris humvee for his zombie project for starters....

They are all also 1/55th.  ;)

How about a GW Rhino....can you really get a squad of power armour in one of those...?

I don't think the photos did the RV much of a favour as the mini is on a bulky slotta - might look a better comparison with a figure on a washer or coin.

Personally I think it looks great - most of my vehicles are 1/55 with the odd 1:50 mixed in but then I don't stick my figures on hubcaps....if I did I'd use out of scale 1/43 vehicles

Doesnt matter, its still too small? Besides, I prefer 1/48 scale vehicles, wich naturally doesnt have anything to do with this one, but still.