Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:27:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690523
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Another brick in the wall..  (Read 4350 times)

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
Another brick in the wall..
« on: October 13, 2012, 04:14:10 PM »
I've been itching to have a go at some brick walls for ages as it's just one of those items that I could never seem to find out there to purchase, and SO many uses for them from black powder to moderns, though I plan to use them mostly for my WW1/ VSF/ WW2 games.

I started out printing a brick sheet onto a freshly cast bit of plaster that still had a lot of water content. Then a combination of etching tools,ruler, sandpaper and scalpels to get the effect I wanted. After that I built the pillar in much the same way and attached it. Finally the finial and the brick detail top was made with green stuff. I made the long undamaged section first, then cast it in casting plaster (reinforced), using silicone. Once I had the plaster cast it was easy to cut down the original to make the second, shorter section, then the ruined ones. So in all, 5 moulds. A bit of an expense, but I planned on casting at least 50 sections for myself and I had 2 friends who'd asked me to cast and paint sets for them, so that kept the cost under control!

I made the decision to have one pillar integral to each section, which added stability to the wall, as did a few earth sections cast along the base line which were great for flocking with vegetation. I cast pillars separately, to allow for maximum flexibility in play. Then I drilled a few of the wall sections and placed magnets (3mmx2mm neodymium) to allow for the placement of street signs and posters I'd made up earlier and glued onto magnet sheet. Having interchangeable ones means I can be a bit anal about setting up the game 'in period'. A bit of fun really. I've made London and French street signs so far, but plan to do some Russian and German ones later on (if anyone can tell me accurate fonts for WW2 German street signs or Revolution era Russian ones, I'll send you free set when done!).

I cast the walls using a resin called 'procast', which has the advantage of being fairly flexible when it first comes out of the mould and helps trim excess resin away with ease.

I painted them using a combination of acrylics and oils in a 4 step process. Quite a lot of experimentation to get the colours I wanted right! But I'm pretty happy on the whole with how they turned out. The ruined sections presented something more of a problem as destroyed walls throw up a lot of dust from the mortar that holds them together. Initial paint-only tests were a little unsatisfying, so i used a combination of weathering powders and crushed limestone to get the effect I wanted, then re-touched some of the bricks. The original bricks I had used in the masters were cut from cork floor tiles..the most effective bricks I have seen yet and happy to share my little technique of making batches if anyone wants me to post it here!

So here they are..the 5 different sections:

medium damaged section

short damaged section

long damaged section

long undamaged section

medium undamaged section (with one of the signs)

And the full set (obviously these would rarely if ever be used like this..but be linked between buildings, around roads etc):

These sections were made to allow figures cover and field of fire, but are more suited really to villages and some small town sections. Next up will be tall wall sections for the growing town!

Thanks for looking..as always comments and advice appreciated!

TJG
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 11:14:47 AM by thejammedgatling »

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Another brick in the wall..
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 04:33:20 PM »
They look very nice Lev  8)

One suggestion I would make but I think it's too late is that the brick tops are a bit big as they were generally the size of a normal brick just with a round profile.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 02:30:56 AM »
cheers James

I had originally no coping stone, but it did not look right. The first coping I made was actually smaller, but again it did not quite match up to my original idea.

I also tinkered with this idea:

or this:

then eventually I went for this:

they look to me about 2 bricks high, though mine ended up being a little more than this.

The next set I paint I want to look more like this:

cheers

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 05:58:00 AM »
Well done.  You've put a great deal of work into this project and it shows.  :)
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 06:49:28 AM »
They look great!

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 10:28:19 AM »
Nice work! Beats my lazy efforts.
Don't!

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 12:03:05 PM »
Nice work! Beats my lazy efforts.

nothing you've done on this forum looks lazy in the slightest!

thanks for the positive comments!

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
These look very, very good mate. Good job!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 01:34:48 PM »
Have you thought about London stock for the brick colour?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=london+stock+brick&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=fqp6UKH1Bu_2mAWxooHQBQ&biw=1024&bih=672&sei=gqp6UMjnE4GKmQXg6YDoCQ

cheers

James

Yes indeed..I will be painting some up like this as well. I had more of the ochre London clay on these buildings I did last year:

Le Cateau in 1918

a few of the range of signs (I've made about 120 now )

a spot of Victorian science fiction...

I think I'll do both..but yes, for VSF especially the lighter colour would work very well. I plan to keep the mortar colour light on the next ones too.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 03:10:15 PM »
I remember those buildings  8)

They look great and the addition of the walls in a similar colour would go down a treat  :-*

cheers

James

Offline admiraldick

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 06:25:35 PM »
absolutely love your work. those walls look well worth the effort. I particularly love the signs. its details like that that transform it from being a bunch of toy soldiers on a table to a real world. where did you get your signs/posters? or did you make them yourself?

also, on a more mercenary note, i'm trying to find a paint scheme for my own brick walls and wondered whether you could explain your 'four step method' in a bit of detail.

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 06:26:43 PM »
Very nice brick work. I love your buildings as well. I don't remember seeing them before.
I love the posters too.

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 12:47:52 AM »
absolutely love your work. those walls look well worth the effort. I particularly love the signs. its details like that that transform it from being a bunch of toy soldiers on a table to a real world. where did you get your signs/posters? or did you make them yourself?

also, on a more mercenary note, i'm trying to find a paint scheme for my own brick walls and wondered whether you could explain your 'four step method' in a bit of detail.

Thankyou. I shall do quick step by step with the paint shortly. The street signs I made myself. I found the correct fonts for the period and just made a template. The posters are either direct copies or ones I've done a little design work on in Photoshop/ Illustrator.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 09:19:17 PM »
nothing you've done on this forum looks lazy in the slightest!

thanks for the positive comments!

Too kind but all I do is stick embossed plastic to foamboard or depron.  ;)