Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:13:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686652
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: World War Z Trailer finally up  (Read 8910 times)

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
Re: World War Z Trailer finally up
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2012, 03:22:16 AM »
I don't mind zombies that are reasonably fast... like how fast the average person at the Super Wal Mart can run for a special on ham nuggets. Even the zombies in NOTLD could build up some speed when there was a decent meal in sight.
But like has been said, this plague seems to have turned them all into track stars... taught them parkour... and given them a bit of super strength. It all looks too CGI for me... I like my zombies on a smaller, more personal scale so I can get to know them... nurse zombie, tennis pro zombie, kid in a cowboy costume zombie.
Big flowing rivers of them?... meh, I'd rather see a movie about The Blob.

The book does sound interesting though.

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2012, 08:48:57 AM »
Ive been meaning to read this book, glad i haven't yet. think ill wait till after the movie. fast zombies freak the shit outta me (but am a huge zombis fan), only cos I'm fat so I'll be one of the first to go lol lol
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2012, 02:08:36 PM »
I can only recommend the book and / or the audiobook!

The Zs decribed there are not as fast as shown in the movie clip!
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Chainmailninja

• Bookworm
    • Zed or Alive: The Zombie Miniatures Game
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2012, 02:26:59 AM »
My friends and I were talking about this trailer the other night, and it was brought up that with zombies flowing in a huge mass like that, just how far would they make it before the majority of them were so badly trampled that they ended up as slow zombies/crawlers anyway, due to crushed/broken legs, spines, etc?  lol ???

Offline emperorpenguin

• Scientist
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2012, 01:24:41 PM »
Ya know what would make me dirt my pants double in a zombie plauge. If it could be transmitted to animals. Apparently we are never more than 5m away from a rat. Now imagine zombie rats. Nobody but nobody would survive.   

There's some novel set in a zombie apocalypse where even the animals turn. All the characters die iirc. I forget the name though!
My Fallout Project leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=35048.0

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2012, 02:00:58 PM »
I recommend Mira Grant's "Newsflesh" trilogy (Feed, Deadline and Blackout). The animating virus was spawned by the accidental combination of a cold-cure and a cancer treatment, and since it was an aerosolized release, everyone's infected. You don't "turn" until the virus undergoes 'amplification" in your blood-stream, usually by contact with activated virii from another source.

Problem is, any mammal over ~20kg weight can support amplification. So, after the Rise, everybody's a vegetarian - because raising cattle is just too dangerous!
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2012, 02:42:49 PM »
There's some novel set in a zombie apocalypse where even the animals turn. All the characters die iirc. I forget the name though!
Romero's Day of the Dead features a zombie crocodile.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline emperorpenguin

• Scientist
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2012, 08:16:08 AM »
It didnt spread to birds, they were happily pecking at infected dead

I googled and the novels I'm thinking of with undead animals are The Rising and City of the Dead by Brian Keene
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 09:16:31 AM by emperorpenguin »

Offline Axtklinge

• Scientist
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2012, 10:06:49 AM »
I've read the book which is cracking and I'll watch the film which looks great. What I wont do is draw much of connection between the two and that way things will be less complicated and my blood pressure will stay low.
I might try that approach too.

Still, it would be nice that at least once the book story was followed, when they title the movie as one...

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
  • Heal them, with fire from above.
    • Guerrilla Miniature Games
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2012, 04:15:21 AM »
It didnt spread to birds, they were happily pecking at infected dead

I googled and the novels I'm thinking of with undead animals are The Rising and City of the Dead by Brian Keene

Yeah, the Rising is more Return of the Living Dead. Talking zombies, etc... Zombies driving tanks, Zombie birds...

All life is an experiment.
The more experiments you make, the better.
To see more painted Toy Soldiers, check out my Blog!

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2012, 10:16:47 AM »
Potentially interesting zombie action movie but WWZ it aint.

Of course it was never going to be.

"Battle of Yonkers - Check
Israel/ Palestine - Check
Boat settlement - Check"

So basically nods to any little bit of the book which could most be used in "large action filled set pieces".

The most horrific, for me anyway, parts of the book are the close in claustrophobic stuff, the worst of all being the bit about the Paris sewers.

Now they could just be showing off the set pieces in the trailer, but if they have Pitt go to versions of everything mentioned in the book that will just be silly.

When it comes to running vs shambling with a kinda fast lunge when close zombies I generally like to keep things separated. Full on sprinting can be used well, example 28 days later while they are zombies by the usage of "single minded/lack of a reasoning mind" I do so much try to always keep them as infected as the world zombies is synonymous with the undead, there is a limit. When the zombies move from "undamaged ones can run as fast as a person" to "super speed olympic sprinters over long distances" it breaks down for me.

In terms of which I purely like better from a story perspective it has to be the slower kind, it leads to more interesting situations and a more mental based lingering constant fear in any survivors. With the fast kind all survivors do is react, shock and jump scares.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?