Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:13:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689510
  • Total Topics: 118282
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting Camouflage  (Read 3308 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Painting Camouflage
« on: November 09, 2012, 12:29:45 PM »
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial for painting camouflage?

Ideally a modern US jungle pattern, or something suitable for a US recon team somewhere in Latin America.

Thanks.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Painting Camouflage
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 01:06:45 PM »
Wicked cool  lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 01:30:39 PM »
Oh so you're going ahead with it!

Other than 'google is your friend' I don't have any wise words about the subject though.  :)
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 02:03:47 PM »
What branch of service are the guys supposed to be and unit are they representing?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 03:09:44 PM »
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial for painting camouflage?

Ideally a modern US jungle pattern, or something suitable for a US recon team somewhere in Latin America.

Thanks.

What time period?  If you want to model the old Snow Cap teams or folks from that era, Army and other DoD SOF are going to be in regular woodland camo BDUs, and most of your DEA guys will be too, though some of the Cool Guys may have some tiger stripe stuff.

Right now modern Army is the ACUs or the Afghan pattern (Operation Enduring Freedom Camo Pattern or OCP)  

So, more info and we'll try to point to a better source.
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 03:39:24 PM »
Bermuda shorts, two sizes too small, fanny (bum) pack, obvious money belt showing under shirt and socks with sandals.  Known variations include tennis shoes with black business socks.

Don't go with the obvious choice of a Hawaiian shirt, in my experience yanks in Latin America are just as likely to be wearing a shirt advertising something called 'The Cleveland Browns' or 'Dallas Cowboys'. If there are female members of the team it's likely they will be wearing oversized shorts of some description or, on occasion, something resembling a muumuu.

Equipment? Contrary to popular belief, the larger than life DSLR camera hanging around the neck is relatively rare these days, most of them have read horror stories on Twit/ Trip Advisor about the incidence of crime south of the Rio Grande. In similar vein you'll see you'll see a proportion wandering around carrying all of their possessions in a plastic shopping bag, labouring under the strange notion that somehow this will safeguard said posessions by making them 'blend in'.

Their junior officers might be dressed in a combination of chinos, polo shirt and boat shoes. Apparently this is the mandated dress for all college educated Americans abroad. It's about as effective a form of camouflage as the one listed above.

:)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 04:39:37 PM »
Oh and one more thing. If you want to depict them with backpacks, paint a small Canadian flag on the pack, it's a sure sign they are Americans.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 05:33:15 PM »
Here you go. Scroll to the bottom the see how to paint US Woodland camouflage along with Vallejo color guides.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 06:00:18 PM »
What branch of service are the guys supposed to be and unit are they representing?

Generic US troops on a special op in a fictional Latin American country. I am not bothered whether they are Marines, Rangers etc. The uniform can be anything from 1990-now.

I am more interested in a how to paint camo than an exact match. The game we are planning if purely fictional, so it's more about the look than accuracy.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 06:03:37 PM by Malamute »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 06:04:33 PM »
Here you go. Scroll to the bottom the see how to paint US Woodland camouflage along with Vallejo color guides.

If that's joke it's very funny because I can't see your link. It's very well camouflaged. lol

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 06:20:54 PM »
Well you may well be best off using a woodland pattern, that will cover you into the early 21st century and as woodland pattern uniforms are not uncommon in the region, it would not inconceivable to have US SF types wearing them,  in fact I've seen photos of Navy Special warfare types still apparently using them.

I start with a base coat of Vallejo stone grey, occasionally mixed with a little of their buff for variety. For the green I've used intermediate green in the past and for the brown I use one of their Panzer Aces range, German pale camo brown. For the black parts of the pattern I use black-grey rather than black. Black on the real uniforms fades that colour and it looks better anyway. Intermediate green might look a bit bright but I find it makes a good contrast and as I give my figures a dip in brownish tones to bring out the detail, I find it works well. I use it for USMC temperate MARPAT as well.

If you want contemporary marines then USMC Marpat is quite easy to paint if a little fiddly and time consuming. Base of Vallejo green-brown, and stippled, mostly horizontal blobs and bands of intermediate green and black grey over the top.

Multi-cam I've found a real bugger to paint but then I'm a pretty indifferent painter. If you fancy trying your hand there was an excellent tutorial posted by someone on here about a year or so back.

If pressed I could go and find the Vallejo paint code numbers if you wish.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 06:22:27 PM by carlos marighela »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 06:27:42 PM »
lol

Are you going to be using real Cocaine to get in the game mood?

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 06:30:08 PM »
lol

Are you going to be using real Cocaine to get in the game mood?

Cut 100% with flour  lol

Mark's already got us spreadsheets and everything  lol

cheers

James

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 07:07:06 PM »
Good luck getting that out of your nostrils. Can we see photos of the game please?

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 08:23:18 PM »
If that's joke it's very funny because I can't see your link. It's very well camouflaged. lol

I herped when I was supposed to derp  ::)

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=printpage&artid=145