Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:19:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690673
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Going solo, which is beat?  (Read 2707 times)

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
Going solo, which is beat?
« on: November 10, 2012, 12:05:23 PM »
For solo GH which rules should I go for?

Thanks

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
Re: Going solo, which is beat?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 11:38:33 PM »
No clue mate.  :D

Gothic Horror miniature rules are few and far between as it is!

Offline muncehead

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 08:33:10 AM »
I had been thinking to use the Empire of the Dead rules solo with a card activation system to replace the alternate activation. (Heroes get two activations, non-heroes one) I think any solo system where you have all forces on the table is best played this way and try to be as impartial as possible - no cheating or having favourites!

No attempts to play yet, but I have the figures for three factions, terrain on order - just need to finish decorating the house to get round to painting the really important stuff! ;)
Have fun storming the castle! ...and that really isn't me you know...

Gothic Project: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=55943.0 - although on pause atm as too much RL stuff getting in the way.

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 05:43:03 PM »
Fear and Faith?

I've never read them but they are based on Song of Blades and Heroes that a lot of people seem to use for solo play.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 06:54:45 PM »
Thanks

I think I might have to go for emmpire of the dead, that rulebook looks so nice and add in the card system from Svage Worlds, rather than just SW on it's own...

Though Songs sounds good tooo

Adam

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 10:11:44 AM »
I have used Fear and Faith (and Blades and Heroes) solo, without much success. Some of my post-game notes for an old game sum up what I found (aplogies for quoting myself, seems a bit weird  ;D)

"The combats largely came down to rolling two dice, and didn't seem to catch any of the atmosphere of the situation (e.g. the Hunters had stakes, but other than +1 to fight against Vampires, they're treated the same as any other weapon). I'm all for quick and simple combat, but for most of this I could have just tossed a coin to decide the winner.
More annoyingly, swords and pistol-bows aren't mentioned in the rules at all. I modified this, as it seemed silly for someone with a sword and someone with bare fists (or at most a knife) to be fighting on level terms."

Given that the stats for everyone are very similar and combat comes down to rolling 2 dice, after a couple of rounds it gets very "samey".

There are a couple of nice mechanisms, such as rolling for how many actions you get, with the possibility of losing the rest of your turn if you fail, but combat was a huge letdown.

Chaos in Carpathia is worth a look, and I had more fun with it solo. Mobs, in particular, look promising for adding a bit of randomness to games.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 01:23:35 PM by zemjw »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 12:53:08 PM »
2hour wargames rules may work with the reaction table forumla

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 06:25:39 PM »
Given that the stats for everyone are very similar and combat comes down to rolling 2 dice, after a couple of rounds it gets very "samey".

This is the only complaint I have about most of the stuff using the SBH core engine too. I love the activation rules and the special abilities, but I do find it a little bit...disappointing to roll only a single die in a combat. Otherwise it's a great system.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline driller

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 07:53:40 AM »
I don't know about solo, but Chaos in Carpathia is the best horror wargame by far, and I think it would work solo.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 08:04:27 PM »
As Lowtardog says the 2hr games have great solo play rules. I'm sure some of the add on's have vampires and werewolves in as well. (don't quote me on that read it somewhere).