Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:42:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689715
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 768
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 'Build Something' Contest III  (Read 40759 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
'Build Something' Contest III
« on: November 12, 2012, 10:23:42 PM »

Presenting the Third ‘Build Something’ Contest for the much coveted Potato Cup!

The 2012 edition of the ‘Build Something’ Contest will be brought to you jointly by Workbench and Build Something czars Hammers & Overlord.

Theme

The subject for this contest will be: WATER

Water often features on a table, be it as the very base for naval games or as an obstacle like a river bisecting the gaming board. It can be put on the gaming table as a decorative centrepiece like a pond or a waterfall or to set the ambience like an icy peak or a snow covered wood.

Water is considered by many to be quite challenging to get to look just right from a modelling aspect. Be it a turquoise lagoon of the South Seas, waves crashing onto a Normandy beach, ice flows on a winter river or bubbles of swamp gas popping, the task you set for yourself should put you to the test.

Your challenge for this edition of the competition for the Potato Cup is to build a water themed construct, that is, a model, terrain feature or small gaming board/mat, for wargaming. Remember that originality as well as craftsmanship is most likely to be rewarded in the voting rounds, so be at your best!

Restrictions

Our hope is that this leaves the contest sufficiently open for all periods, and for imagination and creativity to roam free.  In accordance with previous years the aim is to build something practical and useful for the gaming table which can be constructed within the bounds of an average workbench.

There are however some restrictions to the competition:
1) The main feature of your build must be something to do with water in any of its possible states.
2) The idea is for scratch-building to form the major part of an entry.  If kits, pre-made resin/metal/plastic/etc parts are used they should ideally form only a minor contribution.
3) While enhancing features like bridges, islet, rocks and pollution will be accepted to compliment the build, we ask you to keep in mind that it is the representation of water which is the focus of the competition.
4) The build should, in the general tradition of the Lead Adventure Forum, be something you would use on your gaming board; we are not looking for dioramas or display models.
5) If you absolutely feel the need to build something like the methane lakes of Titan rather than something out of H2O we will probably not disqualify you, but please check with the competitions runners beforehand if you are uncertain about theme interpretation.
6) All construction & painting should take place during the contest, no previously built/started items please.  The idea of the contest is to give you an incentive to build something you have just not got around to doing previously.

We do not wish to make the contest too restrictive for those taking part (or ourselves running it), so may we ask that a modicum of common sense is employed?  Voters will (hopefully) decide whether the amount of scratch-building is sufficient.  The posting of a WIP thread for an entry is likely to aid voter choice.

WIP Thread

Members can post WIP photos if they like. The advantage of WIPs means they can be used for future reference and would allow people to see how the item was constructed.  Each entrant should start a WIP thread for their own submission. WIPs only please! No completed items until after the contest has ended.  Posting such a thread is however NOT compulsory.

Entries

For final entries you can submit up to 3 photos:
-A single photo of the finished item (Minimum entry requirement)
-Another that can be a single or composite photo (of multiple smaller photos) of the finished item.
-One photo of the finished, but unpainted, entry.

The photos may include a few miniatures/vehicle to indicate size/use/practicality of the item but remember that the entry itself should be the focus of the presentation.

The maximum size of each photo is limited to 800x800 pixels.

Photographs including title of the entry should be submitted to: buildsomething3@tsome.com

Voting

We will randomly group entries into several polls.  The number of polls will be dependant on the total number of entries. The winner of each initial poll will go through to a Grand Final vote. The number of entries in the Grand Final poll will thus be equal to the number of polls in the first round. If the Grand Final vote is a tie, the win goes to the highest percentage (not number) of votes in the previous round.

Dates

The closing date for entries is 2359 hrs GMT on Saturday 5 January 2013. 

Initial voting commences Monday 7 January and closes at 2359 hrs GMT on Saturday 12 January 2013.

'Grand Final' voting commences Monday 14 January and closes on 2359 hrs GMT Saturday 19 January. Final result will be posted on Sunday 20 January.

(NB. If we receive only a small number of entries, just a single round of voting will take place).

Winners

The winner will, besides winning the immensely prestigious Potato Cup and the envy and respect of his peers, get to pick his or her prize from a list of priceless items (tat from the lead piles of Hammers and Overlord).  Two runners up will also select a prize.

If you have any questions please post in this thread or PM both Hammers and Overlord.

Let the scratch building commence. Good luck to you all!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: 'Build Something' Contest III
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:13:29 AM »
Hooray  :D

Now to start something that will languish in the cupboard  ;D

Quick question, whereabouts do the wip threads go? I'm assuming on this board.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 08:51:44 AM »
I'm in. Small watermill for the War of the Roses medieval village project, methinks.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 09:00:15 AM »
I think I might give it a shot this time around. It will get me going on a project I have planned a long time. I plan to build a floating pier for my Pirate set up.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 09:02:35 AM »
Hooray  :D

Now to start something that will languish in the cupboard  ;D

Quick question, whereabouts do the wip threads go? I'm assuming on this board.

cheers

James

Yes, in this board. One thread per entry, please.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 09:03:54 AM »
I think I shall make something to. I am not sure I will enter the competition, perhaps only if a voting group needs a bit of padding.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 09:36:44 AM »
Oh now that's just too tempting...

I've been wanting to build a small oasis to go with my pulp Egyptian scenery for ages now, and this could be the impetus I need to get started.

Of course, given that I have no time at all to paint at the moment (thanks, LittleBob!) I may start something and never actually get it finished, but its still worth a punt.

Will have a think on't...  ;)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 04:05:04 PM »
Thinking hat on...

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 04:29:52 PM »
I shall attempt something...
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 04:58:40 PM »
Just a couple of questions:

1) is it possible a collaboration? so a single project will be - for example - scratchbuilt by someone and painted by someone else?

2) A dry watermill is considered inherent with the "water" theme? A Huge dry bottle, or anything similar? I mean, does it need to be water in it? Because the indications above are a little ambiguous on that.

Thanks,
Jack

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 04:59:03 PM »
I shall attempt something...

Using Lego?  ;)

lol
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 05:09:53 PM »
Using Lego?  ;)

lol

YES!!!

I stand by what I said, lego makes for the best templates when cutting plasticard.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 05:24:05 PM »
Just a couple of questions:

1) is it possible a collaboration? so a single project will be - for example - scratchbuilt by someone and painted by someone else?

2) A dry watermill is considered inherent with the "water" theme? A Huge dry bottle, or anything similar? I mean, does it need to be water in it? Because the indications above are a little ambiguous on that.

Thanks,
Jack

You are one for turning rules inside out, aren't you?  >:D

I shall have to confer with Overlord but for now you can consider both 1) and 2) above answered with 'No'. If you have a specific idea which you are uncertain it is in accordance with the rules, please post the question or PM us. It is impossible to be absolute in the restrictions while at the same time wanting to encourage creativity.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 05:29:36 PM »
You are one for turning rules inside out, aren't you?  >:D

I shall have to confer with Overlord but for now you can consider both 1) and 2) above answered with 'No'. If you have a specific idea which you are uncertain it is in accordance with the rules, please post the question or PM us. It is impossible to be absolute in the restrictions while at the same time wanting to encourage creativity.

Turning rules is my favourite hobby. Actually i don't have a specific idea,but before starting thinking about it i wanted to know both those things.
Basically, i don't like that much using the water effect, unless it's used for other purposes, like windows or such...

For the collaboration, i'm saying that because i've a friend of mine in mind, a painter! But otherwise i can paint it by myself! =)

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 05:47:39 PM »
Shucks.  That'll be my watermill out then.