Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:30:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690665
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dhows  (Read 4777 times)

Offline BlackStatic

• Librarian
Dhows
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 10:10:35 AM »
Hi, thanx 4 tha cool site T (as far as im concerned ur name is now just "T" - although my mums entire side of tha family is Welsh i hardly ever speak to them so im not sure about tha accent)
I try to go 4 wargaming practicality rather than all out realism and intricate details
I bought one of these 25mm dhows from miniature worldmaker first but found it way too  small (I can fit like three guys on it) which is y i decided to make these

http://www.miniatureworldmaker.com.au/products/id-865/productlist/p-4/

Pete yes one would be a good weekend project but my problem is that now i have about eight weekend projects going :lol:

I took some pics of my dhow next to a steel rule and i hope it helps u T (are u planning to make something similar?)
I left them on my photobbucket so they could be a higher res and u could see the measurements better.

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj104/FudgeKnuckles16/

I'm still gonna make another one and comprehensively record every step

Hope this helped  8)
FK

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Dhows
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 05:43:53 PM »
Yes those pics are exactly what I need, cheers. I am planning to build some out of foam board. The pic of the dhow length is cut off on the bottom so I can't see the length. What is the length?

Looking forward to seeing your step by step as well. 8)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Dhows
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 12:26:44 AM »
Quote from: "FudgeKnuckles"
Hi, thanx 4 tha cool site T (as far as im concerned ur name is now just "T" - although my mums entire side of tha family is Welsh i hardly ever speak to them so im not sure about tha accent)

Nobody is. I suspect even the Welsh don't understand Welsh either & make it up as they go along, purely to annoy us English  :lol:

Offline BlackStatic

• Librarian
Dhows
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 12:31:24 AM »
The initial foamcore length was exactly 190mm - note that it doesnt come to a point and has a 5mm flat surface which the prow was stuck on
The prows length vary slightly from 23mm to 28mm between the ships
All the balsa wood covering the side is 5mm thick giving the ship an overall length of 220mm
The base is 234mm long
I just thought id mention that normally deck sizes would be in 25 or 26 mm intervals as to allow plenty of space for one of my bases and enough for people who use GW bases. I cant remember y i decided on the sizes for my dhows but they turned out well so the next one will be exact same size
If theres any more questions just ask

Cheers 8)
FK

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Dhows
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 12:38:32 AM »
Quote from: "Gluteus Maximus"
Quote from: "FudgeKnuckles"

Nobody is. I suspect even the Welsh don't understand Welsh either & make it up as they go along, purely to annoy us English  :lol:

Not at all, we annoy you by pretending to be rubbish at rugby for years then beat you. :lol:

FudgeKnuckles cheers for the measurements. 8)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Dhows
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 12:23:02 AM »
Quote from: "twrchtrwyth"

Not at all, we annoy you by pretending to be rubbish at rugby for years then beat you. :lol:
[/quote]

:lol:  :lol: Whereas we pretend to be good at rugby & then make a balls-up of it when it counts!

Offline Maksim-Smelchak

• Bookworm
    • http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/
Dhows
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 06:46:30 PM »
Hi Black-Static,

Awesome work! Very inspiring.

Thanks for sharing.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.
http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/
I'm just a happy-go-lucky guy who isn't always so happy or lucky, BUT I try!

Please check out my blog:
http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/