Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:50:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SuperflyTNT - Innsmouth: Marsh Refinery (Update 1/2)  (Read 22463 times)

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
SuperflyTNT - Innsmouth: Marsh Refinery (Update 1/2)
« on: December 06, 2012, 04:56:55 PM »
Index:

First National Grocery
(Below) P1

Innsmouth Eatery
LINK:http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=48588.msg566675#msg566675 P2

Esoteric Order Of Dagon Hangout
LINK: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=48588.msg567248#msg567248 P3, P4

The Raging Manuxet
LINK: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=48588.msg572259#msg572259 P5

The Marsh Refinery
LINK: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=48588.msg572889#msg572889 P6

The First National Grocery (almost done) and The Diner (basecoat and plates over Plasticville text..)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:15:40 AM by superflytnt »
www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Innsmouth, Dunwich, and other locales WIP thread
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 06:31:45 PM »
Nice!
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 08:26:53 PM »
That's what I'm talking about.

The funniest thing is your National Grocery was one I was looking at but the owner wanted 25.00 for it.  I think it is a K-LIne, nice modifications.  I love the grime.  Supercool.  I like your window effect as well.

I like this model because of the skylights and the drainpipe at the back.  Good for a pulp yarn as well.

The diner opens up so many ideas as well.  How about a nice seafood restaurant?

My only crticisim - I'll never get to play on it!  Oh and posters, you can never have enough posters! ;)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:42:25 PM by Oldben1 »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 08:31:46 PM »
Nice work, sir!
That weathering looks great and the windows look seriously effective.
 :-*

Looking forward to seeing the diner finished off.

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 09:15:59 PM »
The front windows are using Ben's patented milk jug method (cutting them from old plastic milk jugs) and the rear and side windows are made from Testor's magic handy-dandy plastic cement and clear part maker. I wanted to emulate glass blocks, which just really do look smashing in my very biased and proud-father view. I'm doing the same technique on the factory as glass block architecture started in the early 1900's, especially in factories, and it's just a really good look. Plus, it's really easy to pop out individual blocks which creates a hell of a broken glass look. I mean, it looks like a miniature vandal kid (miniature as in pewter, not a midget) strolled along and tossed a brick straight through it.

I'll post clearer pics. I've had the bloody spins for a week again, can't f-ing hardly see straight so once my brain gets sorted I'll do my level best to show the details on the brick.

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 10:40:06 PM »
I like what I'm seeing ...

Just wish these kits were more readily available in UK and Europe - Least I managed to pick up a couple of old 70's kits from a railroader how thought they were a "bit crap".

Seeing what you guys have done has got me looking at the old "K-Line Toy Factory" kit on the workbench ... now where's my liquid poly ?

Looking forward to watching this develop.

RMZ

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 10:47:31 PM »

Funny you mention this one, mate...this one was eyeballed heavily my own eyeballs with the plan of making into the Gilman House, in fact.  I was considering putting in a plasticard 60 mil second floor and building some stairs too to build an interior.

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 10:59:17 PM »
That's the one, even down to the biege and brown plastic. Hadn't thought of using it as the Gilman House - great move.

I was going to change the doors and probably put a floor in the side loading bay area with an enclosed area around the back doors. I'll keep mine as a factory as I have an SA board with a railroad track on it and I can use some of my 0N30 rolling stock as scenery (and something to hide behind).

Maybe this weekend.

RMZ

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 11:03:12 PM by Ramirez Noname »

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 01:09:19 AM »
Now I've seen this one with bigger doors before.  I think Gauntman has one in his Gilman thread.  I'm  not sure how the story goes but I think K Line bought the old Marx molds and than updated them.  MY factory was so warped out of the box I had to glue braces inside.

The fron door isn't too bad in terms of scale but that side door wouldn't even fit a tcho tcho.

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 01:41:32 AM »
Yeah, the way to go on the doors is to simply cut them 2-3mm wider than a 30mm base and simply frame the door with some plasticard. That's the plan with the factory, at least. I despise the fact that the doors on these things are so narrow...they're almost perfectly to scale if the figures had no base....its as if they designed them all for trains or something. Perish the thought...

Now, I've got ideas about the restaurant...just google rusty diner and a million come up. It's certainly going to be some greasy spoon fish fry place but since the text gives no name, I'm thinking of a few options...

Manuxet Restaurant
Manuxet Fish Market
Innsmouth Eatery

I'm tempted to add some humor such as calling it the Ptomain Pot or something but I really want it to be dark, evil, and immersive.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 01:51:08 AM »
Gauntman has since deleted the pictures, it looked like the front door they got rid of the stairs and made the door bigger.

Ramirez and I joke that the factory is the greatest pulp building ever designed.  It has so many applications -especially the Marsh Refinery.

I never got the diner, I've seen a lot of great conversions.  There are a lot of vintage seafood posters out there.

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 04:07:29 AM »
Funny you say that...I very nearly bought several and may still. I'd think a wharf wouldn't be complete without canneries, warehouses and the like.

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 11:55:42 AM »
I think I've posted this shot before, but it is a WIP and it has cultisit loading a very clean truck ... and funnily enough this ones a bit warped too - must be the plastic. I was going to add some corner pieces to make it look more like concrete framed building with brick panels (and to hide the corner joints).

Whilst looking for the "toy Factory" I also found the single stall brick engine depot (a real bi beast, part of which is just visible on the left hand side of the above photo), a grade crossing shanty, railroad depot/station building and a Bachmann diner; the wonders of the lead and plastic mountain.

I'll try and get some phots of the kits over the weekend.

RMZ

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 03:44:56 PM »
I was tempted to paint the factory similarly, and put some small rippy-bits of masking tape over spots to make it look like dilapidated paint flaking off so the brickwork showed through. My plan was to paint it grey (mortar), then drybrush the spots I planned to mask with a brick red, then some white highlights (a trick a new friend taught me...Ben..), then mask over it, paint the whole thing taupe or something industrial and truly ugly, then remove the mask and weather the whole thing.

My wife just got me some different, darker reds for our anniversary (you know you've got a good one when she's buying you hobby paints for specific projects after 16 years) and so I'm now committed to make it a brick building. :)

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 03:49:06 PM »
Pete, Don't forgot to weather with the watered down inks.  I little dark brown under the windows and around the eaves.

Watch those windows on that model!  I'm still not happy with mine even though I painted them 3 times!  I can't wait to see what you do.

My factory colour scheme was based off my work.  I work at a huge brick school.  It was perfect.