Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:28:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SuperflyTNT - Innsmouth: Marsh Refinery (Update 1/2)  (Read 22464 times)

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
Re: Innsmouth, Dunwich, and other locales WIP thread
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 04:22:11 PM »
I use 10:1, 20:1, and 30:1 ratios of mixing "golden brown" Apple Barrel with warm water, with one drop of dish soap. I keep 12 bottles (red apple, true navy blue, flat black, brown oxide brown) for different depths of wash and shades. On that factory, I wanted it to be REALLY rusty and grimy so I made a rust color with brown, red, orange, and a dot of blue, droppered some water on it, and used it at maybe 5 or 7:1. That's under the windows on the brickwork and the really dark spots.

Then I used my washes to do the roof. I'll be adding some moss and whatnot, and then perhaps a cool cigar poster I found online. I printed up two sheets of them and adhere them to the building with glue sticks. Nothing better to put paper on plastic ~forever~ in my opinion. 6 years experience with Science Fair projects for my 11 year old have proven it! :)
www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
Re: Innsmouth, Dunwich, Egypt WIP thread (UD 12/7 Diner)
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 04:42:31 AM »
So, I got these Coat d'Arms "magic dip" style shaders, and I have to say...what a difference they make on my models. Holy crap. I never was a big fan of the dip, I'm more of an ink-wash-ink-drybrush kind of guy, but you really can't beat the quick results.

Anyhow, back to the regularly scheduled program....

I always ask myself why I make things look pretty just to ugly them up....but the diner's ready for some dilapidation:

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 03:48:00 PM »
Nice!
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 04:48:36 PM »
lovely work

the rear and side windows are made from Testor's magic handy-dandy plastic cement and clear part maker. I wanted to emulate glass blocks, which just really do look smashing in my very biased and proud-father view.

could you explain that a bit more, I'd love that effect for my K-Line Factory...

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 10:30:51 PM »
This all coming together really well.
 :-*

Looking forward to see what happens to the diner.

Great idea with the milk carton windows, consider it officially stolen!
 :D

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 11:54:28 PM »
lovely work

could you explain that a bit more, I'd love that effect for my K-Line Factory...

Google "Testor's clear parts cement". It has a needle point tip and looks a bit like white glue, but a hair more yellow upon application. Put it all the way around a 1/4" or small er aperture like a window or headlight and then draw it across using a toothpick or whatnot and it skins over sort of like oil does on a kid's bubble wand. Dries clear and is very hardy, durable. Just do it LAST becayse if you spray acrylic sealer over it, it hazes up and looks a bit like the front windows do....the milk jugs. Apply it to the back side of the windows, not the visible front side as it runs a bit.

Great way to make clear windows.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 02:11:37 AM »
I really like the california blocks on your general store. 

The Eatery is a nice model too, especially with the fan in the back.  How about a small open sign in the front window.

Nice color scheme as well.

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 07:13:48 PM »
Funny you mention the "open sign"...I just wrote "Fresh Fish Daily" on the front in black. Tried to make it as close to a wax pencil as possible.

Today I get to add rust. Looked at all kinds of stuff for inspiration by googling "rusty steel diner", "rusty diner", and the like. Looks like a lot of light brown, dark red and dark orange will be all over my paws today...

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2012, 09:37:01 PM »
Well, as usual, I painted something pretty just to ruin it by letting it rust...just needs to dry, have the windows masked, and be squirted with sealer. I actually redid the front door, just got it mostly rusty, very little green left, not shown in pics.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 12:43:39 PM »
I really like the front!  The back may be a little drippy, although I noticed the model is still very wet.  Great model.

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 03:13:22 PM »
Yeah, it was wet still. My kid was at a sleep over with her friend and she came home with what looks to be strep. Kid's sick as hell. So, I snapped the shot just to be done with it so I could get her all sorted out...fluff the pillow and whatnot.  Sick kids suck.

Regarding the "drips and runs" on the rust, I started with this concept...

...which was the basis for the color scheme. But, according to the text of the story, all the buildings in Innsmouth were dilapidated to the point of nearly falling apart. The decision I had to make was really whether or not these buildings would be habitable or not. I went with "these people don't mind eating at a diner that looks abandoned...they're FISH PEOPLE!" lol

So, I started looking at what rust would look like, the kind resultant of sheet steel near salt water, so I looked at ships and whatnot...

....and then I finished by looking at rusty coastal buildings (canneries) and abandoned mines...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elijahgarcia/6289011217/

That's how I came up with the color scheme! :)  I started with a basecoat of silver metallic, then added the blue stripe, then added the green bits, and once it was nice and pretty, I went and uglied it all up based on the ideas gleaned from the above.  I'm not 100% happy with the back...I don't care for the streaks all that much, but not so much that I want to go back and touch it up :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:15:55 PM by superflytnt »

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
Re: Innsmouth, Dunwich, and other locales WIP thread UD 12 Dec 2012
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 05:13:58 PM »
Next up is the Masonic Hall of Dagon. I looked up "Masonic Hall" and found a "Masonic Hall And School"....

...which bears uncanny resemblance of the Plasticville church...

So, I'm thinking of caving in a few spots in the roof, adding some rotten rafters with some balsa beams I have lying around that will show through the holes. I have some old Mage Knight tables and chairs that I think will work well to have a long table in the center.

Will update....

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 06:12:44 PM »
I like that model too!  The first thing to go is the powder blue roof.  What was the company thinking?

I like the pictures you reference.  I didn't even think you could cut off the spire on the top, but it looks appropriate in the picture, almost western.  Boarding up the windows might be easier, you could always use the model for another game as well.

What's your idea for colour scheme?
I wish I had done a WIP, this is really fun watching your progress.

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 06:45:09 PM »
I like that model too!  The first thing to go is the powder blue roof.  What was the company thinking?

I like the pictures you reference.  I didn't even think you could cut off the spire on the top, but it looks appropriate in the picture, almost western.  Boarding up the windows might be easier, you could always use the model for another game as well.

What's your idea for colour scheme?
I wish I had done a WIP, this is really fun watching your progress.

If you go to the site in the link it turns out that is actually in Montana, so you were dead on. I figure I can just cut a square of 060 plasticard, cut the ring off that the spire attaches to (the spire is a separate piece) and put a flat top on it. That said, New England architecture is heavily influenced by Europe so I'm not sure that I want to do that. If anything, I'll probably just leave off the cross and cap the top with some glue or something. 

As for paint, right now it's all assembled (sans windows) and I've got a floor glued onto the model. I'm going to probably print out something on cardstock and laminate it onto the floor, maybe some rotten planks or something of that nature. The whole building (interior and exterior) are primed gray, and I'm thinking that I'll simply drybrush several coats of different shades of gray on it with a hint of brown to exude old, weathered wood, then brush on some dirty ivory in the direction of the grain to exude peeled, old paint.

The roof will be a brown and black shake roof (the model has molded texture) and I'll probably flock on some ochre green moss to give it a really weathered, nasty look. I did that on the First National Grocery building since it's brick and wood and I didn't do that on the steel diner since steel rust is slightly acidic and not prone to moss and mold as natural buildings are...no food!

I'm still not sure if I want to do the factory first or not. The goal is to be done with most of the set by Christmas so I can get some game time in over the holiday break at work. We're shutting down operations between the 21st and 3rd, so I should have some ample time! I still have a two-story house, two cape cods, the factory, the church, the cop shop, and the firehouse. Not sure all will be a party to Innsmouth, but at least 5 of them will. And I still need to fabricate a river...ugh.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 01:46:31 AM »
Youre probably right to leave the factory last as it was the hardest model to paint, especially the windows.  One suggestion I could make is get a thin piece of card or stir stick and glue in underneath the awning.  When you paint the model paint the stick the same color of the awning.  It will cover up the tab holes and give the awning more stability.   Watch the walls on the front.  it is very delicate with all the windows.  The model I bought had some hairline cracks that I made worse by bracing the inside.  I just boarded up the windows so you can't see the cracks anyways.

Those glass bricks would look pretty sharp.