Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:42:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Bob Murch goodies  (Read 5102 times)

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: New Bob Murch goodies
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 12:47:48 AM »
Nice to see a complete set of figures that I actually like.  There's usually at least one poor figure per set that ends up in the bits box, but not this time!!
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 07:53:38 AM »
 I think Bob Murch is working to achieve a semi-stereotypical look to his figures.  But that just my thought on his female figure faces.

I wouldn't go so far and say Bob is trying to give his female figures some kind of "semi-stereotypical look". My observation was, the most 28mm sculptors are suffering from "the same faces" illness. It seems to be very hard, also for the best of them (Perry, Garrity, Klocke etc.) to do different faces in different ways. Once one has learned making faces, he/she's struggling to find another style. The same for Bob, these faces are just something he's able to do quickly and fairly nice (at least from my point of view). Something else would either probably be too much work or wouldn't work at all.

Though that's just my observation, I also could be wrong.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 08:05:47 AM »
I wouldn't go so far and say Bob is trying to give his female figures some kind of "semi-stereotypical look". My observation was, the most 28mm sculptors are suffering from "the same faces" illness. It seems to be very hard, also for the best of them (Perry, Garrity, Klocke etc.) to do different faces in different ways. Once one has learned making faces, he/she's struggling to find another style. The same for Bob, these faces are just something he's able to do quickly and fairly nice (at least from my point of view). Something else would either probably be too much work or wouldn't work at all.

Agreed. Character figures aside there's  distinct sameness to even the best sculptors faces, be it Hicks, Copplestone, the Perry twins, etc etc.  Not a complaint mind you, merely an observation.

As for Mr Murch's depiction of females faces, I kinda like 'em. Some Like it Hot isn't a bad film after al land one day I might just want to game the Stonewall Riots. If I do, I know where to source the minis.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 03:34:27 AM »
As for Mr Murch's depiction of females faces, I kinda like 'em. Some Like it Hot isn't a bad film after al land one day I might just want to game the Stonewall Riots. If I do, I know where to source the minis.

lol

That would be an interesting game.

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 07:10:23 AM »
how do the Bob Murch figures compare size wise to artizan and copplestone pulp ranges

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 07:12:16 AM »
how do the Bob Murch figures compare size wise to artizan and copplestone pulp ranges

They do well, you really can mix them

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 07:25:15 AM »
The scale-o-matic gives some pointers:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=10500.0

Copplestone generally appears to be a bit bigger than the Murch stuff:
http://ephemera.150m.com/figures_files/pulperafigures.htm

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 07:39:31 AM »
thanks for that a big help

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 10:28:20 AM »
I really like Bob's miniatures as a whole, and these later releases (such as the thugees and islanders) do really tickle my imagination :)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 11:38:32 PM »

Error is a way of life for me somedays.   ;)

I may be over thinking the face thing.   ::)

Now I need to go back and check the figures of the lines I bought when I bought giant (25+ mm) sized figures to check this out.   ??? 

You, sir, are making me think!   :?    lol

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline surdu

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2012, 05:45:31 PM »
I like Bob's faces -- male and female.  His faces have more character than most other sculptors.