Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:10:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689622
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of Gadebusch 1712  (Read 3558 times)

Offline tomek917

• Mad Scientist
    • Anabasis
Battle of Gadebusch 1712
« on: December 09, 2012, 09:16:01 PM »
Today me and some friends recreated the Battle of Gadebusch in 1712, almost exactly 300 years ago.

The battle would be the last big battle and Swedish victory during the Great Northern War. I wont go too much into detail of the scenario, all I can say is that it was an exact recreation of the battle, more of a what-if, but still pretty close to the real thing.

We used the Beneath the Lily Banners rules and reached a conclusion in about 8 hours. Anyway, on to the pictures!

The table layout looking south, swedes to the left, danes and saxons to the right.

The danish right flank collapsed early in the battle after a surpisingly successfull swedish cavalry charge, sending several danish battalions running through the forest only to be cut down by the pursuing cavalry.

On the opposite flank saxon and swedish cavalry clashed back and forth for a while until the saxon cavalry eventually won the day.

The swedish guns, a game-winner in the real battle, were surprisingly unsuccessful in our battle and only caused marginal casualties and no headaches for the danish commanders.

The infantry lines are closing on each other. Unfortunately there are no good pictures of the battle in the centre as I was too busy shouting orders, rolling dice and, erm, making a tactical retreat....

Eventually the danish centre collapsed after a brigadier got killed in closed combat. The remaining units, mainly guard battalions, simply lost their courage and fled, many of them getting killed by the pursuing swedes. Up until then it was a pretty close battle, on the danish left flank the remaining cavalry were organizing a large assault on the opposing swedish infantry. But once the centre broke they decided it was better to live to fight another day. This is how the centre looked as we called it a day.

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
Re: Battle of Gadebusch 1712
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 07:03:53 AM »
Ohh ohh oh.. :-*
*And other wierd noises.

Damn fine looking game.
And in 28mm, thats even nicer.

Could you name some of the brands of miniatures?
Im trying to convice a friend to get a GNW force so we can battle, but I think we are looking at 15mm at the moment. Even thoe it would be nice to see more options.

Any chance to see more pictures of your fine collection ?

Offline robartes

• Assistant
    • Tiny Tin Men
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 06:26:06 PM »
Indeed a very fine looking game - in the One True Scale :).

By the looks of it (but the OP can confirm), most of the Swedish infantry is Musketeer. I do spy some Reiver as well, mainly in the cavalry but also some of the infantry and the Swedish guns. And of course the classic, totally-wrong-but-must-have-nevertheless (I have them in my army as Life Guard Grenadiers as well :) ) Foundry Swedish grenadiers.

Great game!

Offline tomek917

• Mad Scientist
    • Anabasis
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 06:49:47 PM »

Robartes is almost right, only one battalion of Musketeer miniatures, certainly superior miniatures compared to everything else, but way too expensive when you ned around 1000 miniatures ;)
>90% of the collection is made up of Reiver Miniatures (not all miniatures are mine though). And yes, some Foundry miniatures, one battalion made up of Front Rank miniatures (which didn't participate here).

Of course you can have more pictures! What are we here for anyway? ;)
First up, a danish guard unit using Reiver Miniatures.

A Swedish brigadier, Foundry miniatures.

Danish grenadiers, all Foundry.

And the, as Robartes said, totally-wrong-but-must-have-nevertheless-Foundry-Swedish-grenadiers.

Can't remember the name of this unit, but the miniatures are from Musketeer.

Danish footguard unit, Front Rank miniatures.

And here are a few pictures from two different re-fights of the Battle of Helsingborg 1710.

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 07:13:04 PM »
Damn... :-*
Im speechless.

Its nice to see such grand pictures of a conflict that isnīt to common to see.

Offline robartes

• Assistant
    • Tiny Tin Men
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 07:45:15 PM »
Just to prove that these are really-must-have figures for this period, here's my Foundry guard grenadiers :) :

For more pics of GNW figures (though not in as glorious a close up as the ones in this thread), see here.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:47:41 PM by robartes »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 02:59:20 AM »
First, another wow - especially for so much cavalry.  Coolness.

Second, One True Scale?  Oh, you besotted and misguided soul, that would be the glorious world of 15 mm!  lol

See my nom-de-binary for support of my contention.