Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:54:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp me sideways!  (Read 13373 times)

Offline Pulpthulhu

• Bookworm
Pulp me sideways!
« on: December 10, 2012, 02:08:59 AM »
Well after a few years lurking in the inspirational shadows of this board I've finally taken the plunge and am putting together a Pulp world!

This thread will track my sanity blasting attempts into this and include miniatures, scenery, random rules and battle reports.

I have slowly been amassing components to pull together a Pulp inspired world so will post progress here over the coming weeks.

Initial games will be based around Egypt - thinking the following:

"Help Mummy! I've fallen and can't find my Fez" - aka "Is that a Mummy in your Targine?"

Scene 1: Cairo backstreets - Player factions drawn to Cairo to locate missing plane - must acquire guides to take them
Scene 2: The Desert near oasis - Players rush to plane wreckage and then find clues of nearby burial chamber/temple
Scene 3: The Desert outside burial chamber - Players must find ways to enter temple
Scene 4: In the hidden Temple - players vs cultists and some summoned surprises
Fade to credits...

Game System/Rules wise am still a bit undecided...

I've recently purchased both Chaos in Cairo and .45 Adventures and would also like to  look at Strange Aeons as well as I have played Call of Cthulhu for many years... might end up doing a custom mix of all 3?

By the way does anyone know if you can purchase a pdf version of Strange Aeons? I live in Australia/The Dreamlands so trying to keep postage down where possible!

Work in progress shots of scenery and miniatures to follow...

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
Re: Pulp me sideways!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 06:35:38 AM »
Hello Pulpthulhu, welcome to the world of pulp gaming.
I look forward to seeing some pics of your stuff and some after action reports.

Cheers
IanKH
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 07:44:57 AM »

Hello and welcome! Just try to PM Unkle Mike about Strange Aeons, he’s the guy behind that great rules set.

We’re looking forward to read about your adventures.

Offline Pulpthulhu

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 09:30:55 AM »
thanks guys good to be here - thanks for the Strange Aeons tip will drop him a line!

OK some of the early work in progress shots to get things started...

** apologies for crappy lighting and image quality just a few quick iphone shots for now - will do some properly lit and shot snaps once things are

Location scouting aka test run of Cairo backstreets:

IMG_0611 by Pulpthulhu, on Flickr

The buildings are from 28mm Crescent Root - fresh out of the box despite being unpainted still think they look amazing. If anyone is thinking of buildings for their Egypt/middle east pulp settings these are fantastic!

The palm trees are from Pegasus Hobbies (Palm Trees Style A No. 6501 (and Style B 6502 not shown have thinner smaller leaves) - there are smaller versions of the same sets so be careful which ones you order) - I bought these off Amazon - basic 2 colour spray paint job on each of leaves and trunks and still to base them properly.

The desert floor is a $15 section of textured "desert" yellow curtain from a local fabric shop - given I have dozens of miniatures to paint I am cutting corners where I can - still I think it does the job.

Same view again with some miniatures and tape measure (6" extended) for scale:

IMG_0612 by Pulpthulhu, on Flickr

A few perspective shots:

IMG_0613 by Pulpthulhu, on Flickr

IMG_0614 by Pulpthulhu, on Flickr

IMG_0615 by Pulpthulhu, on Flickr

more to follow...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 09:54:51 AM by Pulpthulhu »

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 09:33:54 AM »
Sorry can't see them  :'(
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Pulpthulhu

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 09:41:30 AM »
heh thanks hmm stuck pics up on Flickr but doesn't give you an image link - might have to rethink :)

Offline Pulpthulhu

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 09:57:40 AM »
Right followed directions from another post to get it working - hopefully all sorted now - if you have the same issues posting from Flickr do the following - "Share This" menu on the top left of each photo, open the "Grab the HTML/BBCode" part, and select "BBCode" at Medium size.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 10:02:27 AM »
Looks fantastic!

Will keenly follow your progress, will have to start a blog of my own as soon as I have amassed enough stuff to show.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 10:18:38 AM »
Nice setup!

Offline Pulpthulhu

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 10:26:34 AM »
The task ahead:  

IMG_0594 by Pulpthulhu, on Flickr

I invested in a bunch of Pulp miniatures

- mostly from the wonderful http://pulpfigures.com/
- and a few from the following:
http://www.artizandesigns.com/
http://www.askari-minis.com/
http://www.games-workshop.com

Side view of work in progress:

IMG_0595 by Pulpthulhu, on Flickr

Another side view:

IMG_0596 by Pulpthulhu, on Flickr

Whilst I have a bunch of miniatures in various states of undress thought I'd get a bunch together to demonstrate how I go about painting them:

IMG_0608 by Pulpthulhu, on Flickr

Trim the flash, undercoat with Chaos Black spray from Games Workshop, base coat the skin, do the eyes (I really suck at these!), base coats of other colours, shade, highlights/drybrushing... again all work in progress!

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 10:28:54 AM »
This is looking good. I like the buildings.

Offline Pulpthulhu

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 10:36:29 AM »
Thanks - can't take credit for the buildings that's all these guys:

http://www.crescent-root.com/pages/Product/28mm/28mm_series1/28mm_series1.html

Again I ordered the unpainted ones and they are still unpainted on the game table - I think are fantastic as is! If I get through painting all the miniatures (!) I might come back and paint these but again given we are talking the desert etc you can get away with white :P

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 11:27:59 AM »
this one is my favorit:

A bit pricey, 100$, but it's a worth it, I guess. Though shipping from USA to Germany would probably kill it for me.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 11:50:50 AM »
I would like to own the lot but won't buy them at those prices.

Offline Pulpthulhu

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 12:41:33 PM »
There's no reason you couldn't have a go at scratch building the buildings based on the pics - not too complicated I would think some styrofoam/foamcore/balsa wood/plasticard for the walls, steps, doors, removable roof and some plaster/spakfiller for wall texture etc. The Palm trees you could scratch build with sticks/wire/modelling clay for the trunk and cut out paper for the leaves.

Speaking of scratch building thinking ahead a few scenes for my hidden temple/burial chamber - I've always wanted to build some of the Hirst Egyptian molds and have been inspired by another crazy builder located here - http://hirstarts.yuku.com/topic/4830/Egyptian-Tomb-WIP#.UMXToYOTySp

Based on his description and amazing pics (worth checking that link!) I have decided to create an Egyptian tomb based on modular 9x9 inch boards. See below for a pile of 5mm MDF board (cheap from local hardware) I chopped up into the 9x9 bases:

IMG_0606 by Pulpthulhu, on Flickr

You may have seen a mock up board in "the task ahead" photo earlier in the thread - here's a close up to show you with a few of my Egyptian Hirst plaster cast pieces plonked on it. If you look closely you can count 9x 1 inch x 1 inch Hirst Egyptian floor tiles down each side so the 9x9 square works well... 

IMG_0604 by Pulpthulhu, on Flickr

Will post more on the Hirst molds later...