Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:32:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690699
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1009
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cheap Loco for Franco-Prussian Period?  (Read 3304 times)

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
Cheap Loco for Franco-Prussian Period?
« on: December 11, 2012, 09:32:24 PM »
Does anyone have any pointers to the style of train that would be suitable for FPW games?  I am happy to buy a OO/HO train as it is only representative so not used for skirmish gaming.

The Bachmann 0-6-0 J72 seems to come up quite often for a decent price but I am not sure if it is even slightly in era.

thanks

Mike
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:48:20 PM by black hat miniatures »
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline Big Martin

• Scientist
  • Wargamer, Re-enactor & Failed Historian
Re: Cheap Loco for Franco-Prussian Period?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 11:46:51 AM »
The Minicraft model of the 1872 Japanese Vulcan steam loco & carriages is the right period. It's 1/45th scale but, from the unbuilt one I've got, it looks right with 28mm figures. It has the advantage, for me, of being the same gauge as some track I got with a cheap plastic train set last year. It's not too expensive, either.
Tutenes, Atque Cujus Exercitus?

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 11:57:49 AM »
The Minicraft model of the 1872 Japanese Vulcan steam loco & carriages is the right period. It's 1/45th scale but, from the unbuilt one I've got, it looks right with 28mm figures.

I can second that. I am building the carriages just at the moment which are perfectly scaled for 28mm. However I replace the kit frames and axles with running 00 gauge gear. I am not decided whether I will use the engine for a conversion too or will offer it for sale and scratch build one on a motorised 00 gauge chassis too.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 03:00:47 PM »
I can second that. I am building the carriages just at the moment which are perfectly scaled for 28mm. However I replace the kit frames and axles with running 00 gauge gear. I am not decided whether I will use the engine for a conversion too or will offer it for sale and scratch build one on a motorised 00 gauge chassis too.

Thanks - I'll have a look.  Is there a cheap source of oo running track?  I have some oo track and would like to run it as narrow gauge if I buy the bigger engine?  I guess I could always cut the track and widen it if necessary - how wide a gauge does the 1872 kit run on?

thanks

Mike

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »
I guess I could always cut the track and widen it if necessary - how wide a gauge does the 1872 kit run on?

If you are talking about France and Prussia: 1435mm standard gauge.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 07:16:06 PM »
If you are talking about France and Prussia: 1435mm standard gauge.

Solrry, should have been clearer - I was asking what scale track the minicraft train runs on?  Sounds like O gauge?

Mike

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 09:44:33 AM »
Solrry, should have been clearer - I was asking what scale track the minicraft train runs on?  Sounds like O gauge?

Mike

No, itīs something in between, because it is narrow gauge. The minicraft train seems to represent the first train in Japan that was built in England. Japan uses "Cape" (from the use in South Africa) gauge of 1067mm.
The underframes of the carriage models could easily glued on with a wider or narrower space between them to match either 00 or 0 gauge track. However I doubt this is possible at the same ease with the loco (although I think any experienced modeler could handle that conversion too).

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 10:31:40 AM »
No, itīs something in between, because it is narrow gauge. The minicraft train seems to represent the first train in Japan that was built in England. Japan uses "Cape" (from the use in South Africa) gauge of 1067mm.
The underframes of the carriage models could easily glued on with a wider or narrower space between them to match either 00 or 0 gauge track. However I doubt this is possible at the same ease with the loco (although I think any experienced modeler could handle that conversion too).

Many thanks for the answer - I'll have a look at the kit and think about it.

thanks

Mike