Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:04:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Hobbit – I have seen the film. (no spoilers)  (Read 21841 times)

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
Re: The Hobbit – I have seen the film. (no spoilers)
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2013, 01:05:18 AM »
still did not see it. It's the 2.5 hour length thats the killer.

I usually have to watch a film in 2 parts these days because i fall asleep all the time due to this shithouse medication I am on. Finding a part of the day I will manage to stay awake for 2.5 hours that collides with the screen times is impossible. Add to that the zero toilet trip manifesto and not being able to smoke anything in the cinema all adds to the suckage.

Being a non smoker myself, one of the things I loved the most about going to the movies with my wife, was that we could actually see a complete movie without having to stop all the time to have smoke breaks.

Now she quit smoking, so no problems about that anymore.

:D

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2013, 06:12:49 AM »
The better half and I saw it week and a half ago. We saw it on the IMAX 3D HFR 48 FPS the big deal version. I was not impressed with it. And the 48FPS didn't bother me, it was the 3D part that we didn't like. It is our first 3D and most likely our last. And this form the GF badgering me on the way to the movie when i said i didn't want to deal with the 3d versions of movies and not being a good thing. Her telling me i have to try new things. She didn't have much to say after the movie though since she hated the same things i did. The action scene were blurry and the glasses or the screen or something just couldn't keep up. I know i missed a lot of good scenes because of it.
As for the movie itself, good and bad. I went in knowing ahead of time that the haters and lovers will affect my thoughts on the movie. I went in ahead of time with this mentality but i still liked the movie. I might even love it once i can watch it with non blurred action scenes. :-)

Grimm

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2013, 01:49:51 PM »
While, I'm no Tolkien scholar I think the number of Dwarves might come from Beowulf?  When he goes off to fight the Dragon, I think he has 12 or 13 companions? Considering that Tolkien drew heavily on the poem for the Hobbit, I think it is at least a possibility. 

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2013, 05:21:23 PM »
I think the magic number of 12 companions may well be one of those 'archetypes-of-all-mythology-ever-written-the-world-over'...

See Jesus and 12 disciples, etc...

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2013, 05:41:53 AM »
Yay managed to see it tonight in glorious 2D - this time the projector didn't break down!!  Thoroughly enjoyed it and eagerly await the next instalment.  Didn't care that it didn't follow the book, it's Jackson, it's Middle Earth, Orcs, Goblins, Gandalf, Sword & Sorcery.......nuff said.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2013, 11:59:56 AM »
While, I'm no Tolkien scholar I think the number of Dwarves might come from Beowulf?  When he goes off to fight the Dragon, I think he has 12 or 13 companions? Considering that Tolkien drew heavily on the poem for the Hobbit, I think it is at least a possibility. 

The names of the dwarves are a direct copy from the old icelandic edda. But I think in that work the names were those of humans.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2013, 05:38:39 PM »
Just saw it, and must say wasn't that thrilled. A good film but after the very positive reviews here I was a little let down, perhaps I expected too much.

It was nicely made, but so clearly strung out to make three films. The Gollum scence was great, perhaps because it was one of the few parts which stuck to the source material. I thinked the Great Goblin but thought him wasted a little. And the CGI on the Pale Orc didn't seem quite right.

Radagast was prehaps the most dissapointing aspect 5I've never been big on Mr McCoy either).

I think the biggest problem is that is lacks strong leads little Aragorn and Boromir from the LOTR, and that of course it is  childrens bedtime story rather than an "epic" but at least there weren't any wizards livibg under the stairs). And of course most of the dwarves look funny and some of the comic value seemed a little lost from book to screen, or changed perhaps.

I will be happy watch the next two which I am sure will be better (though in many ways Fellowship was the best of the LOTR). It does seem strange how he cut the first books to pieces and then add a look of unneeded stuff here, I guess that's the industry. Perhaps he can remake the first films into 6?

I had to leave earlier (problem of a late start and a train to catch) so I'd be happy if someone could PM me what happens (though I can pretty much guess).

I hope the best is yet to come.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:42:29 PM by thebinmann »

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2013, 05:42:06 PM »
The action scene were blurry and the glasses or the screen or something just couldn't keep up. I know i missed a lot of good scenes because of it.
Grimm

Same here, and even more annoying is I have the wear the goggles for nothing because 3D doesn't work for me....

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2013, 05:43:30 PM »
Didn't care that it didn't follow the book, it's Jackson, it's Middle Earth, Orcs, Goblins, Gandalf, Sword & Sorcery.......nuff said.

That's true and it reminded me how much I want to live in the shire....

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2013, 05:48:08 PM »
Finally, after the Fellowship I rushed to re-read my JJRT collection (yet) again and this film hasn't had the same impact...

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2013, 06:17:04 PM »
Finally, after the Fellowship I rushed to re-read my JJRT collection (yet) again and this film hasn't had the same impact...

That is perfectly okay. Lucky me, though, as my wife for the first time in her life should a little interest in fantasy after watching the Hobbit. She even asked me, if she could have alook at the book (though of course she will never admit to that publicly so... shhhh... I didn't tell ya.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2013, 06:24:45 PM »
Ah Ha, it's a slippery slope she's gonna be a... gamer!

I have placed the book by my bed so perhaps I'll kick off soon

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2013, 07:58:21 AM »
I didn't care for the Radagast parts on bit.  They were too goofy, and the addition of a certain viscous substance on his head....  Well that was the icing on the shite cake.  I do like Sylvester McCoy, and I think that made the portrayal of Radagast even more disappointing to me.

Radagast was prehaps the most dissapointing aspect 5I've never been big on Mr McCoy either).
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2013, 03:28:20 PM »
I didn't care for the Radagast parts on bit.  They were too goofy, and the addition of a certain viscous substance on his head....  Well that was the icing on the shite cake.  I do like Sylvester McCoy, and I think that made the portrayal of Radagast even more disappointing to me.

I see your point. At first I was really put off by the way Radagast was presented. I'm still not really happy about it but find this interpretation both daring and in an odd way charming. I've always depicted him as being more like Gandalf or Saruman: a lot more awe inspiring. He actually comes close to how I thpught Tom Bombadil would be like. However I like the way his real power is only hinted at and he hiding that behind this absurd posture.

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2013, 04:21:31 PM »
I found this picture of Radagast on a google search and this is much more like I would have wanted him to look like... I guess that he might have been portraid this way at first and they changed him later in the process.