Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:23:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Citadel Giant, a painting and restoration thread  (Read 4954 times)

Offline ilikepaintinglead

• Librarian
The Citadel Giant, a painting and restoration thread
« on: December 13, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
Not sure if this should go here or in the Workbench thread so sorry if it's in the wrong place.

I somehow managed to get hold of what to some is the holiest of holiest in Old School Citadel miniatures. Yes I now own a Citadel Giant and still have both of my kidneys.

I intend to do a detailed step by step painting and restoration log in the new year with hopefully regular progress updates here and on my blog, in the meanwhile he's going to sit on my desk in my eye-line and hopefully come January I'll have already mentally picked a colour scheme and know where to start.

Admittedly it's an incomplete Citadel Giant set as all I got is what you see, so no spare heads or hands, and mine does appear to have two right hands, but for the price I paid I don't mind (under £100). Also as part of the price was paid by my wife as my Christmas present I only ended up dropping £50 of my own money which for this chunk of ancient lead I think is a bargain.
The Citadel Giant was always one of those mini's that I would have liked but in the same sort of way that you 'd like to visit space or meet actual real aliens, sort of a pie in the sky if I win the lottery sort of want. I honestly don't know how I managed to get one for so cheap as there was a complete Citadel Giant (all the heads etc) that ended the day after mine and went for £420 (plus £25 postage). It was in all the right sections on ebay and had the words Citadel and Giant in the title listing I guess sometimes that the Lead gods smile on their minions...

Before I even start painting the big fella I need to do some serious thinking:

1. Should I strip him back to the bare lead as I don't usually paint over a black undercoat?
2. Should I try and get hold of a left hand (anyone have a spare?) or attempt to 'move' the thumb over to the correct side of the hand?
3. Should he have a fully scenic base or leave the bare wood plinth?
4. Should he be dismantled and checked for internal pinning?

Let me know what you think as starting something this large is a little daunting and I'd hate to make a mess of it as I think certain other lead heads would hunt me down and burn me at the stake.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:49:09 PM by ilikepaintinglead »
My Blog:
http://ilikepaintinglead.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: The Citadel Giant, a painting and restoration thread
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 02:25:30 PM »
Congrats, that’s a great purchase.

1. Should I strip him back to the bare lead as I don't usually paint over a black undercoat?
2. Should I try and get hold of a left hand (anyone have a spare?) or attempt to 'move' the thumb over to the correct side of the hand?

1.   I wouldn’t but that’s me, I am always priming black.
2.   Can’t imagine you would find a spare, so would try to convert the right hand into the left.
3.   It surely deserves a lovely scenic base
4.   Hmmm…first I would try to pull off the parts (maybe providing not too much effort), probably it’s not necessary

Offline Ninja

• Mad Scientist
    • Broken Egg Games
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 06:26:28 PM »
I would strip if you think your quality of painting will suffer or do a light effect by repriming with grey and white.
Ask for the hand then move/refix it if you don't find one.
Fully scenic base is a YES PLEASE which can be done on top of the wood plinth you have now.
No point in dismantling if he breaks pin it.
Break out of your gaming shell! www.brokenegggames.com

"Yes, I am a ninja and no I won't show you my moves."

Offline axiom

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Magpie and old lead
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 10:08:58 PM »
Many congratulations to you on the purchase. Lovely model and just crying out for a nice paint job!

1. Depends how thick the black is. If its a thin coat, I'd leave it (but then I usually use black)
2. Unlikely you'll source a spare, converting is probably the best option
3. Scenic bases seriously enhance models in my view
4. Does he feel loose and wobbly? Then yes. If secure, don't bother, you never know what damage you might cause by forcing it apart

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 10:23:33 PM »
Nice :)

Why does he need a left hand, anyway? I think it adds a bit of character.

I would strip if you had any doubts about the actual surface of the figure. It's also your preference. I prefer black but that's just me.

I think it deserves a nice scenic base... but why, oh why, would you not want to play with the damn thing? :)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 10:32:08 PM »
It looks to be a VERY COOL mini...somehow "mini" doesn't seem like an accurate description in this case.
For a base coat I usually dry brush white over a black base. You're all set for the dry brush if you'd care to try it.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Hubbynz

• Scientist
    • Halfling House
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 04:56:44 AM »
This is going to be awesome!!!

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 06:18:49 AM »
Put a hook where the 2nd right hand is and instant giant pirate. Yo-yo-ho-hum. I smell the blood of a guy who'd better be willing to share his rum...

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 01:13:34 PM »
If this is a centerpiece fig for your collection, AND you have no need to paint it immediately, I would wait for the correct hand to turn up. It will raise the overall cost, but I would do it for such a rare item.

Offline assi

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 01:32:04 PM »
On a realted note: I read in a german White Dwarf that they don't even have a picture of that thing anymore.
Maybe you can score some points by sending them yours ;)
Oh sure. Everybody's in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a Great White Shark, ooh, suddenly you've gone too far

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 02:17:08 PM »
I'd ask if someone would sculpt you a new hand (not offering I'm afraid, too busy) maybe try asking over at Minisculpture forum?

Offline ilikepaintinglead

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 03:49:04 PM »
Cheers everyone for your feedback:

@ Prof Witchhammer - I think I'm going to have to strip him as the paint is a little flakey in places and quite brittle. He seems fairly well put together and sturdy I think all he'll need is a little extra securing on the wooden base. You're totally right on the scenic base I think it'd look a little weird just on a wooden plinth.

@  Ninja - Agree with you on all points :) The only worrying thing will be making sure to fully dry him out if I dunk him in dettol as the torso is hollow. I'm thinking maybe that I could fairy power spray him rather than submerging in dettol?

@ Christian -  Yeah I had the same idea about the hand but I think it would annoy me in the end every time I looked at it. I'd love to play with the Giant but I don't actually game much, I've played 2 games of WHFB in the last year :?

@ DeafNala - Yeah I'm debating the whole drybrush over black thing, I usually undercoat with grey gesso with a black wash over the top so to be honest a white drybrush over the black is pretty much the same thing.

@ palaeomerus - Yes!!! That's going to be the fall back option if I can't get a replacement hand

@ LeadAsbestos - yeah I agree there's no rush, it's been sat in someone's garage for nearly 20 years so a couple of extra months won't hurt :)

@ assi - That would be so cool to have it immortalised somewhere at GW HQ.

@ Andrew May - I'll have a look into this over the weekend thanks for the idea :)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 04:21:13 PM »
Nice mate. You should check out the collecting citadel miniatures Google forum. Your probably find a few extra bits and bobs if you post up a request.

Personally I'd strip it down completely and build it again from the ground up.

Good luck.

The Commander

Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 05:20:02 PM »
Nice mate. You should check out the collecting citadel miniatures Google forum. Your probably find a few extra bits and bobs if you post up a request.
Personally I'd strip it down completely and build it again from the ground up.
Good luck.
The Commander

What he said. I would also strip it down completely mainly because I would like to know if there are any signs of lead rot! After that I would prime every part both sides just to get a firm air seal. You will probably know that at the time this "miniature" was cast Citadel used a lead-heavy alloy which is prone to lead rot.
Congratulation to such a great precious ...
 :)

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 08:14:27 PM »
There is an article about Bryan Ansell in this month's Wargames Illustrated. Is it worth dropping him a line to ask if he has a spare hand? He is reputedly mad as a hatter (probably from all that molten lead) but what is the worst that could happen? I don't think he takes out contracts on people very often anymore  lol