Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:18:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Naval board  (Read 6106 times)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Naval board
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2019, 09:16:04 PM »
I have a fledgling naval collection in the form of some 1/2400 WW2 vessels and, recently, some 1/2400 Napoleonic vessels. A friend of mine is a huge fan of naval warfare so talked me into a couple of projects. Not that it took much, as I do find it very interesting.

Offline RobertBruce

• Assistant
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2019, 12:13:28 AM »
Good heavens, that paper Enterprise sloop is magnificent!!  And Pete is right about Black Seas.  So how would interested parties propose a new board to the admins?

Online Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 06:40:49 PM »
Not willing to take sides, but such a board will require some directions first.

Where will pirate adventures AARs be posted then?

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2019, 07:00:39 PM »
Please for the love of god, no more boards.
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline RobertBruce

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2019, 08:06:05 PM »
Okay, no more boards. There does not seem to be any board here suited to historical steam steam warship topics except in the broadest sense. I guess Big Battalions to cover warships in transition as at Lissa thru late 19th century pre-dreadnoughts. WW1 for the preceding great naval race. But I am new here and do not have a feel for things, apologies.

I will find another forum site for this topic and stick to what you have here, no problem. RB

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2019, 08:23:01 PM »
Why not make a sticky thread for the subject?

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2019, 09:46:06 PM »
Okay, no more boards. There does not seem to be any board here suited to historical steam steam warship topics except in the broadest sense. I guess Big Battalions to cover warships in transition as at Lissa thru late 19th century pre-dreadnoughts. WW1 for the preceding great naval race. But I am new here and do not have a feel for things, apologies.

I will find another forum site for this topic and stick to what you have here, no problem. RB

No need. There are various threads about naval topics within the various folders. You've hit the nail on the head regarding what might fit where - go by era rather than technology. Big Battalions will be ideal for Lissa and beyond - possibly moving on into Colonial for pre-dreadnought? Then again it's all about the war in which they were involved.

Here, for example, is an excellent thread about some WW1 Naval warfare in the Great War folder: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=116761.0

Please don't keep your naval enthusiasm from this forum, I want to see what you get up to in that regard! :D

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2019, 10:07:46 PM »
Yeah, millions of redundant, overlapping boards which still remain niche and under used. Cos the TMP model works so well....  ::)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline RobertBruce

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2019, 05:42:31 PM »
Thanks Gibby, I am spending some time getting familiar with the boards and that will help.

My main focus is on 6MM Naps and ACW, but these ships are calling to me and I want to create a couple of scenarios for them based on a hypothetical Anglo- French - Italian conflict in the Channel as well as the Med for around 1862-82. The ships are hugely entertaining to look at as the modern warship begins to evolve. So many quirky designs, huge guns, amazing new technology, nobody quite knowing how it will turn out. A building race develops and the French especially create some of the craziest looking vessels ever built. Steam punk in real life. I think its an amazing period, quite unique. No wars, but some close calls and serious rivalries make for fun hypotheticals. I will explore further here for a place to post. RB

Online Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2019, 06:57:47 PM »
around 1862-82. The ships are hugely entertaining to look at as the modern warship begins to evolve. So many quirky designs, huge guns, amazing new technology, nobody quite knowing how it will turn out. A building race develops and the French especially create some of the craziest looking vessels ever built. Steam punk in real life. I think its an amazing period, quite unique. No wars, but some close calls and serious rivalries make for fun hypotheticals.

Very interesting idea. :) I sometimes visit the Musée de la Marine in Paris, I first visited it when I was a kid my grandmother wanted me to see it, I remember that even then I was already impressed by the strange shapes of mid / second half of 19th century warships.

Offline RobertBruce

• Assistant
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2019, 01:15:58 AM »
Patrice: I would love to see the Musee de la Marine someday. The French designs were unique and often innovative. The first iron plated warship, the first steel warship belonged to France. They actually surpassed Britain briefly in the warship race at one point despite a less developed industrial base. Eventually the French designs evolved into some of the most beautiful warships of the modern era, much like the Italians, who also had a strong navy during this period. RB

Offline RobertBruce

• Assistant
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2019, 01:23:50 AM »
Yeah, millions of redundant, overlapping boards which still remain niche and under used. Cos the TMP model works so well....  ::)

Carlos: I am here because I do not see millions of redundant boards here, nor does this look like the TMP model to me!  I am brand new and will find my way. I defer to you veterans in all related matters. :) RB

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2019, 08:29:39 AM »
This is most definitely not the TMP model, thank Christ! What I meant was, please let’s no go down the path of multiple, increasingly niche boards.