Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:44:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Oh, what a lovely Quar - Now with painted infantry!  (Read 7533 times)

Online Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Oh, what a lovely Quar - Now with painted infantry!
« on: March 27, 2008, 08:11:35 AM »
Well then, my cover over there´s been blown, so I´d like to show you this scratchbuilt tank which is to be the centrepiece of a forthcoming Quar project.

Built from plasticard, tube, rod, steel washers and putty, it was inspired by French interwar tanks, Miyazaki comics and a general need to make it chunky and clanky.

The stubs in the turret may still take a frame aerial, but I´m still trying to fathom if it is "in fluff" or not.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 09:20:38 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Quar Heavy Cavalry Tank
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 08:27:53 AM »
Aha the masked Quar revealed :wink: this is fantastic Chris a stunning model :love:  :mrgreen:

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Quar Heavy Cavalry Tank
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 08:28:59 AM »
Beautiful. :D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
Quar Heavy Cavalry Tank
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 08:33:01 AM »
Chris, you´re the master of scratchbuilding  :o  :o

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Quar Heavy Cavalry Tank
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 08:42:37 AM »
Looking at the pics before I read your words I was thinking "that looks very French." So you must have hit the spot you were aiming at. Top job.

These Quar seem to be infiltrating everywhere at the moment. They're certainly taking off. We need Quar aviators next, in futuristic planes that somehow still look like they're from 1916.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Quar Heavy Cavalry Tank
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 09:09:52 AM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
Looking at the pics before I read your words I was thinking "that looks very French."

I for my part found myself thinking "that looks very Miyazaki" :)

I love that model! I can hardly fathom the fact that it's a scratchbuild. Oh, and I also love Plynkes's idea for Quar aircraft. Do that!
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Quar Heavy Cavalry Tank
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 09:12:34 AM »
Awesome!  :love:

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Quar Heavy Cavalry Tank
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 09:19:59 AM »
WChris, you are going to drag me kicking and screaming into Quar territory at this rate. Splendid - and with loads of character built-in.
Plynkes, that's a grand idea. How about (retrospection...):
Once upon a time there was a comic - The Trigan Empire. And one particular episode featured a biplane... with a jet engine.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Quar Heavy Cavalry Tank
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 09:36:41 AM »
The Trigan Empire was daft, but I loved it's epic Sci-Fi Greco-Roman stylings. I have a big hardback volume of stories somwhere. I even bought a graphic novel in Dutch in Eindhoven once (I think that one had some kind of primitive Wright Brothers-style plane in it, too).

I still can't understand a word of it. But when I bought it (or had it bought for me) I was only six, so probably wouldn't have understood it much better had it been in English.

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead for the Lead Mountain!
    • http://www.loresdelsith.net
Quar Heavy Cavalry Tank
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 09:49:46 AM »
fantastic work! I like it a lot!  :love:
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
Keyan Sark - Coordinador de SithNET
SithNET - http://www.loresdelsith.net
TT - http://talisman.foro.st
http://displacedminiatures.com/keyansark
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Quar Heavy Cavalry Tank
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 12:40:11 PM »
I blew his cover, but in my defense, how many tank scratchbuilders can there be auf Muenchen? :oops:

Caerten Chrystr Stynmul, A Troop, 1171st Armor Battalion, 4th Crusader Guard

As the Crusader Army experiments with armored vehicles and tactics, the Office of Tactical Doctrine knows that they can always rely on Caerten Stynmul for an honest assessment of equipment and methods.

Joining the Armor Branch as a Yawdryl, Stynmul demonstrated an aptitude for repairing the infamous Model 9 tank. At the encouragement of his superiors, Stynmul submitted a design for a replacement oil pump to the requisition board, which was accepted and ameliorated some of the faults of the Model 9. For this, Stynmul received a promotion to is-Caerten and the Crusader Medal, 3rd Class. He declined the opportunity to transfer to the Aberdeen Proving Grounds in order to remain in combat units.

When the time came to field the Cruiser Mark 3 tank, Stynmul was on the short list of officers for the first field unit. Promoted to Caerten, Stynmul continues to provide outstanding field reports on functionality on his own and on behalf of his unit. Once a week, the commander of the Aberdeen Proving Ground can look forward to a fat envelope from A Company, 1171th Armored Battalion, full of changes and improvements to the current design.

Armored Tractor, Cruiser, Mark 3

The latest iteration of the cruiser tank is the Mark 3, which is currently only in service with the 1171st Armored Battalion of the 4th Crusader Guard. It rectifies many of the problems of the Mark 2, including higher speed, an improved trenching tail, a cast turret, armored screens protecting the road wheels and better vision blocks on the hull. The Mark 3 has seen action in a handful of battles, and has proven to be both fast and lethal against enemy armor.

Main armament is a 60mm Y6(k)(l) field cannon and two H-11a machineguns, one of which is mounted in the hull. It has a crew of four: Driver, bow machinegun operator, mechanic, and commander. Command tanks have a distinctive "hoop" radio antenna on the turret, and the bow machinegunner also serves as the radioquar on these vehicles.

Two flaws have already been identified in the design. The tank's high profile makes it an obvious target, and the narrow track design has a tendency to bog down in difficult ground.

Online Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Quar Heavy Cavalry Tank
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 12:47:40 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
I blew his cover, but in my defense, how many tank scratchbuilders can there be auf Muenchen? :oops:

You´re getting closer, only 660 kilometres off! :lol:

Two flaws have already been identified in the design. The tank's high profile makes it an obvious target, and the narrow track design has a tendency to bog down in difficult ground.

Spot on, Sir! As the Italian example told us, you cannot design fine ships and aircraft AND have a good hand at tanks as well! :lol:

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Quar Heavy Cavalry Tank
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 12:57:51 PM »
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"
You´re getting closer, only 660 kilometres off! :lol:

GODDAMMIT  :x  :oops: I MEANT MUENSTER :oops:

I have the same problem confusing the three cities that start with "C" in Ohio.

The Italians can be forgiven for mistaking a tank for a variety of armored sports car.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Quar Heavy Cavalry Tank
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 01:40:47 AM »
Cool.

Quote from: "Vanvlak"
Once upon a time there was a comic - The Trigan Empire. And one particular episode featured a biplane... with a jet engine.

I have the Trigan Empire annual, if you need any scans from it. I'm assuming it's no longer in print and not subject to copyright.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
Quar Heavy Cavalry Tank
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 07:20:46 AM »
Scratch build........... :o

I'm not worthy! That is awesome!

Regards
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.