Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:59:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: I've found the long lost man, himself, The M.G. T-R.  (Read 1944 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
I've found the long lost man, himself, The M.G. T-R.
« on: December 25, 2012, 08:29:08 AM »
For a less obtuse description of my discovery, go here:

http://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com/

I await your input.  And, no, I'm not kidding, I really did find him.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Re: I've found the long lost man, himself, The M.G. T-R.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 09:26:59 AM »
Although his efforts have been instrumental in mine and obviously many others interest in Colonial wargaming, I believe if the good Colonel wants to remain left alone, alone he must be left.

Perhaps a word to him relaying the importance of his site to the community could influence it returning to the Net, either its original or new form.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Barks

• Librarian
    • Wargaming with Barks
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 01:05:14 AM »
Egad! This will put Livingstone and Stanley to shame. Furt's idea is a good 'un.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 02:54:53 AM »
Please not to worry.  I have no intention of making any sort of intrusion into the Major General's privacy.  I was just thinking in terms of giving him an update on the continued level of appreciation for the site and this was prompted by seeing a new - or renewed - thread about its going down and being resurrected along with all the wonderful comments about the site.

I posted here to allow others to renew that appreciation and them, when I do send him something, I can link here.  Thanks.

The Curmudgeon-in-chief

Offline Florida Tory

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 05:31:29 PM »
I am one of the many who still go to the site using a Wayback Machine link 5-6 times a year for inspiration. Wonderful stuff!

Rick

Offline georgec

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 07:28:59 PM »
Well after a long and illustrious career a chap should be entitled to a quiet retirement if he so chooses.  But surely the General could be tempted back to visit The Regiment and dine with the Mess?  He would surely be delighted to know the number now senior member of the Staff all the way through to the young blades of The Regiment who have been inspired by his example in so many campaigns.  He might even be tempted to lend his wisdom to us, or even, in times of need, return to The Colours...

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
I'm one of many inspired by the good Major General, and his site is a prime - perhaps the prime example of how a wargaming hobby site should be. I'll echo Furt's and georgec's words and suggest a discrete and polite approach to him to say how much his work is admired by the community, and how we'd all welcome his return. If he decides to stay in retirement, then so be it, it's his choice and right.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com