Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:59:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Generic Middle East Village in 20mm (24-10-2015 Gift for a friend)  (Read 17510 times)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Re: 2013 Project - Afghanistan
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2015, 07:25:47 PM »
Welcome back, it's all looking great.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2015, 10:11:01 PM »
Thx Phil. I haven't tried colouring the texture yet, but seeing as it doesn't chip unless I poke it with something sharp I think I'll be ok.

The Lead Mountain Challenge has set me on fire, I'm working hard to reduce the amount of bluefoam in my stash. So far, out of 10 sheets I've made 10 buildings and I'm only just halfway sheet nr 1.

I'm now building 1 building per evening, painting it with gesso the next day and stucco-ing and sanding it the next day after. (by testing I found out the Stucco sticks best to a coat of Gesso primer). I've added another 3 buildings now, nrs 8,9 and 10. 8 is the more extensive of the 3, 9 is 2 boxes on one base and 10 is just a big box cause I was feeling very uninspired.

8 is still a WIP but the shape is quite nice, a 2 storey L shaped building with a overpass to a 1 storey shed.

The top floor exit needs some curtain cover, I'll do that when I have a few of them lined up so I can do it in one go. The shack dooropening will be painted black. The front door needs a knob. I like the covered overpass, I will try to make a few more of those, but bigger, it takes some planning but works ok. I might do another coat of Gesso on the top floors and on the opening edges to seal it all before calling it done for now and moving on to the next building.

I think I will spend tomorrow making a few boxes in different sizes, and then cutting them apart a bit and slotting them together to create 1 larger, ad hoc, building.

I'm also thinking of making a few buildings with higher roof walls. Now they are just 6-7 mm tall, I might make a few buildings with 16-17mm tall roof walls to see how they look.

I need more ideas anyway so I'm off now to Google stuff :)
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2015, 07:37:41 AM »
Nice looking archway there :)

With that many buildings you soon will have a whole town! :D

Are you guys going to use FoF rules?

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2015, 09:08:27 PM »
Not really set on rules, but I do have the complete set of FoF rules, so quite possible.

Decided not to make a new building tonight, just basecoat and stucco the 2 new additions, and put it all on a imaginary 80x80 cm table to see where I am at now.

Thought of day: SF helo insertion table or Defend the Castle, central-ish square with VIP house middle-ish. These are my 10 buildings on a 80x80 square lined in red, so my plan of making 10 more to get a round 20 to fill a table isn't far off the mark. As I have made all of the buildings with just 2-3mm of base around them it is very easy to make alleyways and narrow roads. Plenty of doors on all sides so you can choose to go through and over houses. Ground floor and first floor only except for the minaret.

Expansion plans:

Modern add on bits like aerials, plastic water tanks, sattelite dishes, communal garbage cans, generators, cars, motorbikes, phone booth, monument.
    1940's and earlier add on bits like jars, clotheslines, fountain, resting camels, older cars.
    Another 10 3 storey appartment blocks for a more Beirut/Iraq feel
    Set of 10 Tatooinish buildings
    Sci-Fi add on parts like solar panels, mositure farm, droids
    A set of walls
    A mosque
    Billboards

These are just ideas and projects just on their own, for when I have finished the first 20. If I keep up my current speed, always tricky, I hope to have 20 made by the end of this month, so I can start painting them in July.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 09:18:40 PM by Gunbird »

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
Re: Generic Middle East Village in 20mm (was: 2013 Project - Afghanistan)
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2015, 10:04:16 PM »
Spent the evening at the club making a (for me anyway) vital tool.

Anyone care to take a guess what it is?  :grin:

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2015, 11:18:18 PM »

Have no idea but I'm intrigued!

Everything here looks great. I am a big believer of "generic" terrain too and you have done a great job.

I think your layout could benefit from some simple walls like these I did for my table. Easy to make and very versatile. http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/cork-walls.html

“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2015, 11:59:17 PM »
Thx! <does generic scenery secret handshake>

Walls are in the planning, but I prefer to work in batches to get stuff done, with the occasional side bit in the off hours or at the club. But don't worry and keep calm!  :D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 12:08:19 AM by Gunbird »

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2015, 12:00:24 AM »
Nice selection of building's you've got there.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2015, 03:36:06 AM »
Lovely stuff. (Need to get my set done in the next few weeks :?)
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2015, 09:15:50 AM »

Are they a doorway/window stamp/mask (right one) and (left one) a scraper to make the inside corners of walls neat?
Or simply a micro-trowel and micro-spatula?

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2015, 12:42:19 AM »
Some answers came pretty close, but here is what I made these for:

http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.nl/2015/06/air-raid-sirens-speakers-tutorial.html

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 12:50:53 AM by Gunbird »

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2015, 09:57:56 AM »
Neat! That does it, I must get hold of some of that moulding clay.

Oh, and I love the whole terrain project. Good work! Makes me think of doing something similar in 12mm for Heavy Gear Blitz.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2015, 08:41:32 PM »
Decided to put things in order, I know have 1.5 A4 paperboxes full of houses and I've lost track of what to do with what and what notes go withw hat item, so decided to catalogue it all.

Long post, but some new items at the end :)

This is where I am now.

Building 1 is a workshop/shop with a rear exit. It is not really deep enough to be a garage for anything other then a couple of motorbikes. This one is ready for paint.

Building 2 is a set of garages/(work)shops, the one on the right showing a few barrels. Ready for paint.

Building 3 is a home with doors on all sides. My first experiment with slotting boxes against each other to create small courtyards. Ready for paint.

Building 4 is a very basic minaret, with a fancy woodwork door. Ready for paint.

Building 5 is a small home. The extra bit of wall is too thin. Ready for paint.

Building 6 is my first official building that can be virtually anything. I've decided to stucco it as well, but go over each part with a wet finger to make it much smoother. Also, I need to cut the front garden pieces out. So, not ready for paint yet :)

Building 7 is building 3 on steroids. Bigger house, covered hallway and garage plus courtyard. Slot 2 of these together (maybe add a few walls) and you get a compound. Ready for paint.

Building 8 is the same idea, house plus storage area, small courtyard. Tried my first covered passage and made it a bit fancy. Slots nicely against nr. 3 and nr. 7. Ready for paint.

Building 9 is simple again, house plus storage area, with connecting wall 2 sheets thick, which looks better. Needs sand basing and doorknobs. Not ready.

Building 10 was rushed, so I didn't get all my cuts properly lined up. I'll hide it with flowing curtains. Needs sand basing, not ready.

Building 11 is the big house. Experimented with making one of the side buildings with an open door (inside will be painted black) for 3D effect, and rounded off roof-walls-whatchamacallit. Top floor needs curtains waving in the wind, base needs sand, not ready. Again, this piece can be made into a compound.

Building 12 is the Gate, flanked by 2 houses. Was a bit too enthusiastic with removing excess base plasticcard, after everything dried I noticed there was flex in the archway, so I added a strip of plasticcard on the inside of the arch floor and used plenty of filler for the arch itself. Now it is solid as a rock. The top floor decking did sag a bit, but nothing major. Needs basing sand and should be fun to paint then.

8 more to go then! I'll make 2 or 3 more covered shops, another gate piece (maybe bigger? this on fits the average car/donkey cart, something tank sized or 2 car sized archways together would be nice). Some smaller homes would be quick and good additions and then I'll hit 20 soon enough.

Not pictured is the first bits of work done on making roof entry points, simple scrap pieces of plasticcard with a door or curtain and some filler, some ideas on making tv aerials (concencus: find a gamer with brass wire and soldering skills who I can pay/trade with.) and a vivid dream on how to make a appartment block (nice, but it ruined my night as I kept waking up).

I also did a trial to make my own vases/urns but as far as I think, that failed, not a symmetical vase in sight for miles. Nice try though. Picked up a new box of metal clothes pins for the doorknobs and to make future balconies stronger. Also started the woodwork for hanging gardens, and I will have to make quite a few ladders to get up on those roofs from the outside.

Sofar I'm still pretty enthusiastic for this project, which shows in the progress and the ideas I'm getting from it..

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
These will turn out great, I'm sure.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
3 more buildings this week.

Gatehouse (or gate with house on top) and 2 sets of garages/shops.

Nr. 13
The gatehouse. Decided to make the gate wider then the previous one (this one fits a tank) plus a pedestrian tunnel and a covered stairway to a small flat on top.

Not finished, needs sanding plus sand on the base reinforcement plus some sanding on the inside of the arches, plus a door needs to be inserted. You might notice that the base is no longer 4mm wider then the building. I noticed that these box shapes are really tough and don't need that. Also, it lets me put the buildings right up against each other, so that is the way I will go with the rest of my buildings and I might even rework some of the older ones. Since they are not painted yet that is no problem.

Nr. 14
Garage/shops number 3.
Simple box, shutters on the front, closed on all other sides.

Nr. 15
Garage/shops number 4.
Same as 14, but left 1 garage/shop open. Not full depth, but (just not) deep enough for the Beetle.

The shops will get seperate awnings, goods and stalls that I can put in front or seperate at a later date. I got them planned in my head :) 5 more to go!