Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:27:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Suitable enemy for Barbarians  (Read 8483 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Suitable enemy for Barbarians
« on: March 29, 2008, 05:35:13 PM »
My mate is building a barbarian army (his inspiration is the Prof :mrgreen: )

Now I dont mind doing a force to fight them but was trying hard to think of something diffeent which would not cost the earth either.

I cant seem to get the Old glory site to show any pictures no matter what.

I have scouted the Frothers showcases but nothing catches my eye, scanned BTD fantasy ranges but nothing appeals.

I fancy something a bit fun not GW or heavy Fantasy I quite like the Ral Partha Mesoamerican Orcs.

Any suggestions gents

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Re: Suitable enemy for Barbarians
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 05:41:28 PM »
Quote from: "Lowtardog"

AH-HA! Someone else has the same problem with the Old Glory website as me! It's been driving me insane for months. Do you get the "Overlapped I/O operation is in progress" error message when you try to load any picture?

Anyway, how about Celtos Sidhe or Fomorians as opponents against barbarians? They have a barbaric quality about them too.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 05:43:59 PM »
I quite like the 5th edition GW savage orcs as opponents for Barbarians, their primitive caveman look fits the bill.

Otherwise, something alltogether different like fantasy arabs. You could mix historical moors and muslims with fantasy 1001 nights type figures (genies, flying  carpets, etc...).

Or something more oriental like mongols and throw in some oriental fantasy figures.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 05:45:30 PM »
Quote from: "white knight"
I quite like the 5th edition GW savage orcs as opponents for Barbarians, their primitive caveman look fits the bill.

Otherwise, something alltogether different like fantasy arabs. You could mix historical moors and muslims with fantasy 1001 nights type figures (genies, flying  carpets, etc...).

Or something more oriental like mongols and throw in some oriental fantasy figures.

Now that is a possiblity I have a WAB Mongol army and am painting a WAB Moorish army.

I would still like something a bit different. I will check out the orcessses :mrgreen:

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 05:46:16 PM »
Quote from: "Rhoderic"

AH-HA! Someone else has the same problem with the Old Glory website as me! It's been driving me insane for months. Do you get the "Overlapped I/O operation is in progress" error message when you try to load any picture?

Anyway, how about Celtos Sidhe or Fomorians as opponents against barbarians? They have a barbaric quality about them too.

Yep for me the site is broken. I have to say I have used it for years to check minis out as the UK site has next to no pics on it.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 05:54:02 PM »
What army depends on the flavor you want them to have. In the world of Tauren (still a work in progress)...

... the barbarian clans live in the areas of Njorden and and north Sundland. To the south is Ibyssia. I am basing the world on a Fall of Rome/Dark Ages period. Ibyssia happens to be the falling empire so it's troops have a bit of a late Roman feel to them. To the west is Guhl and the troops there appear more Norman in nature.

There are other places not yet on the map with a Sassanid type people and then south of Ghul a Bedouin type people. To the east will be many more.

So depending on your preference, you could develop any sort of army to face off against the barbarians. If you prefer historical periods, build a Roman army and add in some more fantastic elements (if the barbarians have mammoths, then give your Roman-style Indian/African elephants).
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 06:00:04 PM »
What the hell did you do, Rich? :o  :o  Why did you keep Scandinavia (almost) as-is but nothing else? :lol:

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 06:00:54 PM »
You need some effete civilised types that would, by dint of their cleanliness and ability to read, drive the neighbouring barbarians into paroxysms od shield-biting fury.

How about some Empire of the Petal Throne figures from Eureka?
Or, some fantasy Chinese from Black hat and MSB?
Or, a Covenent of Magi and their summoned minions (magic ALWAYS annoys barbarians)?
Or pacifist orcs? (sneak peak: http://www.matakishi.com/pinkorcs.htm )
Or... something else...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 06:05:37 PM »
Quote from: "matakishi"
You need some effete civilised types that would, by dint of their cleanliness and ability to read, drive the neighbouring barbarians into paroxysms od shield-biting fury.

How about some Empire of the Petal Throne figures from Eureka?
Or, some fantasy Chinese from Black hat and MSB?
Or, a Covenent of Magi and their summoned minions (magic ALWAYS annoys barbarians)?
Or pacifist orcs? (sneak peak: http://www.matakishi.com/pinkorcs.htm )
Or... something else...

Love those Orcs Paul :lol:  :mrgreen:

Hmmm Transvestite figures

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 06:12:21 PM »

I don't seem to have any problems with their pictures, what did you want to see, I'll post them for you.

How about aliens as opponents, I'm thinking of the first scene in the X-files move with the cavemen hunting an alien.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 06:14:02 PM »
What the hell did you do, Rich?

:roll: :wink:

Why did you keep Scandinavia (almost) as-is but nothing else? :lol:

I needed a starting point and my Jonsson blood overpowered the Bauer and Foley blood for a change.  :D

Quote from: "Matakishi"
Or pacifist orcs?

Who the hell did the choreography for that video! That was awesome.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 06:22:47 PM »
Quote from: "Operator5"
What the hell did you do, Rich?

:roll: :wink:

Why did you keep Scandinavia (almost) as-is but nothing else? :lol:

I needed a starting point and my Jonsson blood overpowered the Bauer and Foley blood for a change.  :D

I hope your "High Priest of Mök" doesn't try any missionary work in Njorden, or he'll get a lot of snickers :)

I also like how "Auburgh" (which I presume is meant to be Turku/Åbo) is one of the cities on that map. I have lots of ancestral ties with Åbo, and I know the city well.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 06:25:50 PM »
If you prefer historical periods, build a Roman army and add in some more fantastic elements (if the barbarians have mammoths, then give your Roman-style Indian/African elephants).

Good idea! And I just happen to have some Romans and Roman dwarves to offer in the Bazar of obscurities... :wink:

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 06:31:33 PM »

There are other places not yet on the map with a Sassanid type people and then south of Ghul a Bedouin type people. To the east will be many more.

You need an island in the middle of that sea, full of pirating galleys - Melithe.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 06:45:21 PM »
Who the hell did the choreography for that video! That was awesome.

All done by Tom :)