Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:00:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689751
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Suitable enemy for Barbarians  (Read 8475 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Suitable enemy for Barbarians
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 06:49:33 PM »
Quote from: "white knight"

Otherwise, something alltogether different like fantasy arabs. You could mix historical moors and muslims with fantasy 1001 nights type figures (genies, flying  carpets, etc...).

No-no-no  :o  That's my idea  :x  I'm going to make that one day  :mrgreen:

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 07:08:36 PM »
Quote from: Prof.Witchheimer

Sorry, but I already made a start on it 3-4 years ago, though haven't worked on them recently. Have almost all the models and painted some of them.
Mostly Gripping Beast and Artizan Moors, some Musketeer muslims, Black Tree Saracens (including flying carpets), Reaper arabian fantasy figures, Chronopia desert orcs, genies, various fantasy characters... :)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 07:25:55 PM »
I'm painting those Black Tree fantasy Saracens right now. But then again, I'm going to use them as Zamorians from the world of Conan, so they're not meant to be entirely Arabian, just sort of pseudo-Arabian with gypsy influences. Moreover, I'll probably use some of my old Artizan and Gripping Beast Andalusians as Khaurans, Brigade's Sons and Daughters of the Desert as eastern Shemites, and Eureka Turkish Pirates as Turanians. I also need to fit the Khamsin miniatures from Reaper's Warlord range in there somewhere as well, maybe as Iranistani.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 07:26:50 PM »
I was only joking :) I'm far away from making anything for that project, I've bought lots of figs two years ago (after finishing of Norsemen force) but never started with it. Let see your painted arabian stuff, really look forward to it!

Otherwise some of stuff would make nice parts of possible Conan adventures. Waiting for "Broadsword Adventures"...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 09:15:47 PM »
Quote from: white knight
Quote from: "Prof.Witchheimer"

Sorry, but I already made a start on it 3-4 years ago, though haven't worked on them recently. Have almost all the models and painted some of them.
Mostly Gripping Beast and Artizan Moors, some Musketeer muslims, Black Tree Saracens (including flying carpets), Reaper arabian fantasy figures, Chronopia desert orcs, genies, various fantasy characters... :)

There are a lot of BTD Saracens on ebay going cheap at the moment but with a painting a Fatimid army at the moment dont think  it is yet for me.

Dont worry gents I will come up with something and thanks for all the good suggestions. My problem is I have a lot of historical armies which most people have suggested so I need to have a good surf.

Isnt this waht makes the hobby fun :D  :mrgreen:

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 10:11:58 PM »
something worth looking at is the Baueda Trogs. I goubht some of these a year or so ago, might fit with other primitive orcs? I passed mine on to my mate ...d`oh :D

They dont seem to have progressed the range, which is sad
http://www.esair.baueda.com/shoptrog.html

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2008, 05:35:12 AM »
You could always make a kobold or halfling army.  I couldn't imagine what would be more annoying to a barbarian army than having to bend over to swat their opponents.  ;)  I've been thinking about doing a kobold army for "Song of Blades" myself, I know Reaper has some.

The Orc video is genius Matakishi.   :lol:

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2008, 11:10:12 AM »
Quote from: "Prof.Witchheimer"
Let see your painted arabian stuff, really look forward to it!

Only got about 60 of them painted before I caught the pulp/weird war2 vibe. Mostly rank and file, some characters. :)

Will have to see about pictures, though there are a few blurry ones with some of the figures here:
http://wk.frothersunite.com/misc/egtemple.htm
http://wk.frothersunite.com/misc/egabu.htm
http://wk.frothersunite.com/misc/egsphinx.htm

Regarding the topic of the thread, I think since Barbarians are the most "pulp" fantasy army, you should go with somehting lilke the civilisations found in the Conan and Tarzan stories.
How about Amazones? Shadowforge and Maidenhead make several "all-female" armies you could use.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2008, 11:26:21 AM »
Thanks White Knight a good Idea. I am thinking of an ape/monkey army actually with plenty of Wingged fez monkeys with possible some of the 100 kingdoms apes as leaders etc. Then throw in some big apes.

This way with the addition of my apes with gus it can morph across pulp, sci fi and fantasy  :D

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2008, 11:34:21 AM »
Or maybe not...hmmm I think I will just sit and wait to see if something inspires me. Sorry about putting everyone through my mental toerment with fantasy figures. I think this must be the reason why I stopped gaming it some time ago :freak:

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 11:36:46 AM »
Quote from: "Lowtardog"
I am thinking of an ape/monkey army actually with plenty of Wingged fez monkeys with possible some of the 100 kingdoms apes as leaders etc. Then throw in some big apes.

Yes,that was my other thought (with the tarzan influence).
I also made a start a few yaers ago on collecting and converting a monkey army with winged fezzed monkeys and other apes. Even scratchbuilt a banana-peel shooting machine gun, with 3 converted fezzed crew: one firing, one loading and one eating banana's as fast as he can to supply the ammo. Also got fezzed monkeys riding 100K baboons for some cavalry and a general in Napoleon hat and pose. For the latter, see here: http://wk.frothersunite.com/conv/monkey1.htm
If you want some big guys, the Schleich gorilla is *exactly* the same size and culpting style as the 100k Gor.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 12:01:58 PM »
Quote from: "Lowtardog"
I am thinking of an ape/monkey army actually with plenty of Wingged fez monkeys with possible some of the 100 kingdoms apes as leaders etc. Then throw in some big apes.

Yes,that was my other thought (with the tarzan influence).
I also made a start a few yaers ago on collecting and converting a monkey army with winged fezzed monkeys and other apes. Even scratchbuilt a banana-peel shooting machine gun, with 3 converted fezzed crew: one firing, one loading and one eating banana's as fast as he can to supply the ammo. Also got fezzed monkeys riding 100K baboons for some cavalry and a general in Napoleon hat and pose. For the latter, see here: http://wk.frothersunite.com/conv/monkey1.htm
If you want some big guys, the Schleich gorilla is *exactly* the same size and culpting style as the 100k Gor.

Thats some good ideas White Knight, I pop over to Frothers quite and bit and generally look at the forum, Marbles miniature showcases and trawl the links, missed these gems somehow :)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 12:09:08 PM »

Only got about 60 of them painted before I caught the pulp/weird war2 vibe. Mostly rank and file, some characters. :)

Will have to see about pictures, though there are a few blurry ones with some of the figures here:
http://wk.frothersunite.com/misc/egtemple.htm
http://wk.frothersunite.com/misc/egabu.htm
http://wk.frothersunite.com/misc/egsphinx.htm

looks great, thanks  :love:  Inspires me for some reason...

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 12:43:32 PM »
While I generally love Artizan crisp sculpting, I must say the Gripping Beast Moors are great and the veils and robes paint up very well.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2008, 12:51:30 PM »
While I generally love Artizan crisp sculpting, I must say the Gripping Beast Moors are great and the veils and robes paint up very well.

I am painting up a Fatimid army at the moment and they all mix in very well. Make sure to check out the Musketeer arabs they have some beautiful figures in their ranges which fit in very vell with both of the above