Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:46:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Suitable enemy for Barbarians  (Read 8492 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Suitable enemy for Barbarians
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2008, 12:51:59 PM »
White Knight, Orcesses :wink:  you swine :lol:

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2008, 12:56:33 PM »
Quote from: "Lowtardog"
I am painting up a Fatimid army at the moment and they all mix in very well. Make sure to check out the Musketeer arabs they have some beautiful figures in their ranges which fit in very vell with both of the above

I have some of Musketeer minis arabs that I purchased at Crisis! Very nice figures and they just hold the middle between Artizan and GB in style, thus fitting with both.
The thing between Artizan and GB is that the way the folds in the robes and the veils are sculpted is very different, which makes them not work in the same unit for me.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2008, 01:11:27 PM »
Quote from: "white knight"
I am painting up a Fatimid army at the moment and they all mix in very well. Make sure to check out the Musketeer arabs they have some beautiful figures in their ranges which fit in very vell with both of the above

I have some of Musketeer minis arabs that I purchased at Crisis! Very nice figures and they just hold the middle between Artizan and GB in style, thus fitting with both.
The thing between Artizan and GB is that the way the folds in the robes and the veils are sculpted is very different, which makes them not work in the same unit for me.

with my painting you couldnt tell :D  I know what you mean artizan are more angualr whilst the folds are softer on the GB ones.  One or two slighlty odd poses with artizan too. Try ranking 4 on a 40mm by 40mm base and you soon find out :lol:

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2008, 01:17:14 PM »
with my painting you couldnt tell :D

With mine you can and that's not because it's so great either. :lol:
I still have a good deal of Artizan minis in the lot, but have sold off the surplus to Driscoles.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2008, 01:51:56 PM »
Quote from: "white knight"
with my painting you couldnt tell :D

With mine you can and that's not because it's so great either. :lol:
I still have a good deal of Artizan minis in the lot, but have sold off the surplus to Driscoles.

I would beg to differ yours look great. I use a mix of layering and dry/wet brushing with some highlights and GB figures tend to be more forgiving in this

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2008, 02:07:20 PM »
I would beg to differ yours look great. I use a mix of layering and dry/wet brushing with some highlights and GB figures tend to be more forgiving in this

So do I, but I also used a wash on them and then touched up the highlights. I'm not a great, fast or patient painter. :)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2008, 02:07:55 PM »
I know what you mean about the Artizan moors being less forgiving because of their sculpting style. The crisp, angular look of their clothes are nice in a way, but it made it very hard for me to know where to paint shading. There aren't many deep recesses on their long tunic-like garments (whatever those are called - I used to think they were "haiks" but turns out that's another kind of northwest African garment).
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2008, 02:55:16 PM »
I think you are right not a lot of folds to play around with.

The names seem to change by locality

Abaya       Rectangular cloak without set-in sleeves.
Abba        Overcoat of straight cut with elbow-length sleeves.
Gambaz      Ankle-length gown worn by both men and women.
Jubbe       Loose straight Bedouin jacket of dark wool.
Kaffia      Head scarf.
Kaftan      Coat.
Kamis       Shirt.
Kubran      Ornamental bolero jacket or vest.
Sherwal     Full trousers.
Zunnar      Wide belt of bias folded cloth.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2008, 09:42:20 PM »
My barbarian army is loosely based on ancient germans to early vikings with some mythology inspired characters.

The armies they should face (when I'm a pensioner and find time and people to actually play with my armies-) are:
-Beastmen, of the barbaric kind (GW, L&L, Crocodile games, and a unit of various Kevin Adams figs)
-Realistic orcs: Grenadier Half-Orcs, BTD LotR orcs, need to add Rebel Minis 15mm orcs as goblins, and just saw some Hasslefree WIP that are pretty great.
-Picts: a mix of barbarians and cavemen and chronopia firstblood viridians (remind me of Slaìne)
-Sidhe: Celtic Elves. Hardcore, unpredictable and mercyless assault elves, not the daisy-sniffers.

I'd like to add:
-BTD roman dwarfs with roman gorillas.
-late eighties Citadel Perry savage orcs, the ones with the sickles. Brilliant style and not too cartoonish. I only got two figs and they're actually pretty small: 28mm à la Foundry but with oversized heads and weapons.
-Apparently HLBSC has good Cro Magnon cavemen in furs.
-Baboons.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++