Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:51:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Eye of the Buddha, Part 1  (Read 3332 times)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
The Eye of the Buddha, Part 1
« on: January 09, 2013, 12:23:32 PM »
This is my first run through with the Pulp Alley rules. It's also the first time I've posted a game report, so please bear with me. I don’t have a terrain mat yet, so I had to cover the table with a quilt-cover!

The Eye of the Buddha, Part 1

It’s 1933 and Ankh su Namun is seeking to reincarnate her lover, Dorstep, from the dead. Dorstep was executed by the then Pharaoh, Ramitin III in the 2nd century B.C. According to the Book of the Dead Ankh needs several artefacts to perform the ritual resurrection of her lover. She recruits some rather dodgy characters from the back streets of Alexandria to form the League of Quite Nasty People. Apparently one of the artefacts required is an enormous ruby which resides in a statue of Buddha serving as one of the statue’s eyes. In true original form, it is referred to as The Eye of the Buddha. An ancient document stolen from the Museum of Egyptian Antiquities in Cairo by Otto Einäugige points the League in the direction of British Honduras. So the League sets out………

Scene: sometime later in the steamy Honduran jungle.

The League of Quite Ordinary Archaeologists is exploring the Honduran jungle in the region of El Toy-Letdor, an area famed for its ancient Mayan temples. Although primarily a British expedition funded by the Bembridge Scholars, the League is led by the famous White Russian émigré, Countess Ripya Korzetov. Quite by chance, they stumble across an ancient Mayan temple and they decide to investigate….

The Eye of the Buddha, the main plot point…………….

By a strange coincidence which only script-writers can dream of, the League of Quite Nasty People is approaching the same location from a different direction! Ankh has now recruited a side-kick, Captain Aard B’Astaard picking him up in Port Royal after seeing him take on a mob of locals in a bar fight in the red light district. The rest of her allies are the aforementioned Otto Einäugige and Seldum Bin-Laid and Mustapha Goat.

The League of Quite Nasty People had the initiative at the start and forced the League of Quite Ordinary Archaeologists to activate first in order to divine their intentions. Doctor Gussie Finknottle made a dash for some interesting looking crates (stolen rocket pack) whilst Dame Hilda Rumpole went to investigate a pile of skulls (coded message). Countess Ripya Korzetov and her side-kick, Professor Algernon Cholmondley-Warner made straight for the temple. The Honourable ‘Barmy’ Fotheringay-Phipps moved off in a more easterly direction having sighted what looked like another archaeologist (drunken archaeologist with information) in the distance.

The League of Quite Nasty People also moved forward. Otto Einäugige went to look at a skull on a pole (crystal skull), Seldum Bin-Laid went west around the temple heading for the same wooden crates as Gussie Finknottle and Mustapha, Ankh and the Captain headed straight for the temple steps.

Neither of the opposing factions had actually spotted each other yet as the game moved into turn two. More fortune cards were drawn from the deck.

The League of Quite Nasty People still held the initiative and elected to activate first this turn having seen the other player’s intentions. Otto Einäugige stepped up to the skull on the pole and disturbed Porthidium nasutum hiding in the rocks at the foot of the pole. Otto failed to pass this peril (rolling double one!) and was bitten by the snake, more commonly known as the Hognose Viper.

Otto was down for this turn, writhing in agony at the foot of the crystal skull.

Ankh and the Captain moved forward at a run, straight up the temple steps followed by a puffing Mustapha who certainly was not used to this level of physical activity. Mustapha was instructed to retrieve the Eye of the Buddha from the statue whilst Ankh and Aard held off the archaelogists who they could now see heading towards them. They loosed off a shot each, but with the exertion of running up the steps their aim was off and both missed Ripya and Algy.

Seldum was also running towards the crates and Gussie Finknottle. Seeing that Gussie was in range he fired two shots from his Mark III Lee Enfield. Gussie was having as much luck as Otto with the dice and went down with two bullet wounds before he even had a chance to look inside the crates.

Dame Hilda cautiously put her hand into the pile of skulls, but not cautiously enough! As her hand touched the coded message, she set off a deadly needle trap which injected curare into her wrist. Dame Hilda was also down and in peril of her life.

Ripya and Algy walked to the foot of the steps to ensure a steadier aim and with the bonus for close range a hail of lead filled the air as they opened fire (Ripya was shooting 4d10+1 and Algy at 4d8+1!). ‘Barmy’ Fotheringay-Phipps had diverted from his original course and arrived at the temple from the east, getting off three shots from his service revolver at the Captain. The upshot of all this gunfire was that the Captain was hit several times but still standing (health reduced to d6) and Ankh, using her mystical powers made every health check!

During the recovery phase, Dame Hilda self-administered a hypodermic full of anti-curare serum (which she always carried in her handbag) and managed to stagger back to her feet. The indomitable Gussie Finknottle pulled himself upright bleeding from two wounds and prepared to re-join the fray. Otto was not so lucky. With no one on hand to suck out the snake venom he succumbed to the poison and was out of the game.

Seldum and Gussie were slogging it out over the crates containing the stolen rocket pack. Otto was apparently dead and Dame Hilda was trying to recover her wits. This left a furious gun fight on the temple itself whilst Mustapha, dodging bullets was now about to try and pry the Eye of the Buddha out of its socket.

To be continued…………………….

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 03:45:21 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline gharak

• Librarian
    • Aegeus: Age of Mythical Battles
Re: The Eye of the Buddha
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 12:51:55 PM »
Excellent game report and a really cool board, I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it.

All these Pulp Alley reports may cause me to defect from .45 Adventure finally, just got to get past my loathing of using different dice for rolls.

G

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 01:35:28 PM »
All these Pulp Alley reports may cause me to defect from .45 Adventure finally, just got to get past my loathing of using different dice for rolls.

I too hesitated to buy them because of the different dice (really don't like them....usually) but I am so glad I gave into temptation.

IMHO These are the best pulp rules that I have come across (and I have read through quite a few) with some very clever ideas and the different dice work very well.
Come on over to the 'dark side' - you won't regret it.  >:D

H
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 02:32:13 PM »
Love your write up.  :o
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 03:43:29 PM »
Great report, looking forward to seeing how it unfolds.

I reckon I have played most of the pulp rules on the market, but never found one that felt quite right until Pulp Alley. I wanted a game that played like the pulps and it delivers in spades.

I wasn't sure about the different dice at first, but it works. Heroes are truly heroic and minions are definitely expendable. The rules are incredibly easy to pick up and simple to play, and the Fortune Deck adds a lot of depth as well as buckets of fun.

After a few games I found that using different colours for the dice types helped a lot. Much simpler to pick up the D10s if they are the only red dice.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: The Eye of the Buddha, Part 1
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 03:47:33 PM »
Thanks, I agree the rules are great to play with. I've done the same as you. I bought 10 of each kind of dice, each type in a different colour.

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 04:37:07 PM »
If I remember the rules correctly all modifiers either add or subtract from the number of dice or change the value e.g. a D10 becomes a D8. So when Ripya and Algy open up at close range the bonus is 1D, not +1 to the dice. Ripya would be rolling 5D10 and Algy 5D8.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 05:04:15 PM »
Yes, you are absolutely right. I wrote it down wrong in the report. Thanks.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 05:55:29 PM »
I kept expecting Jeeves to show up and take charge.  lol

So wonderful to see how these first games are working out for folks. You have some nice minis and terrain, and I really like what you did with the deck.   ;D

THANKS!

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 06:14:21 PM »
Jeeves may turn up in another part of this! You've given me an idea!

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 03:18:03 AM »
Everything looks beautiful! The map, the minis, the terrain... just wow! :-*

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 05:01:06 AM »