Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:36:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vietnam project.  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
Vietnam project.
« on: January 13, 2013, 09:53:03 AM »
Hello, i mentioned it in an earlier topic, i am currently and have been for many months, working on my Vietnam project. It concerns the operations of a unit called SOG. Quite well known these days but then it was the archetypical 'secret commando outfit' and snippets of info that have come out the black box that is the Vietnam conflict, have created a whole generation of movies, books and games.
Although i aim to keep as close to the 'real life' situation from, say the late 60's i find that my own imagination starts running with the whole project. Something else is brewing in the steamy Laotian jungle of the tri-border area.
However, these last days i have been rather busy with experimenting my scratch build jungle. Yes the game will entail lots of jungle and sneaking around with some shorts and violent encounters between the men from SOG and their adversary, the North Vietnamese army.
Over the days to come i am planning to post some pictures to give you folks an idea of what is going on here. Here is the first picture.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Vietnam project.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 01:08:52 PM »
Sound interesting and that picture is a nice teaser. 8)

Now go on; don't keep us waiting... :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 01:53:15 PM »
Teas? No but..yes but...? If you look closely at the picture you'll see.....euhh....empty jungle? But wait. Here they are emerging from their LUP after being succesfully infiltrated by chopper. Now the mission starts for real as wel as a game of cat and mouse with the numerous NVA soldiers that are either travelling along the trail (HoChiMin trail) or  the security forces that specifically target the recon teams.

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 09:44:01 PM »
The pics look fantastic, very atmospheric. I have been dying to try some Vietnam gaming for a long time now; I am envious. Tell us about your terrain (scratch built, bought?) and the minis (what company?, 20mm?).

Great stuff,
 Damien

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 08:25:36 AM »
The project has been years in the making. I guess that it even started as far back as the moment i was introduced to the hobby (1987). As this moment i am painting miniatures, i've got a reasonable amount of americans (about 9 or 10) and a larger (and growing) amount of NVA. These are all TAG. Very good miniatures i must say. I also bought the West Wind montagnards which will obviously play their part or perhaps give another edge to the whole game as a third faction.

The terrain or gametable is at this moment completely made up of bought stuff. I use cork, aquarium decoration (works very well) and i have a few patches of jungle that i got from someone. I even use small rocks that i find during my survival hikes.
The next step will building my own pieces. I need a footbridge and some bamboe hootches and of course more jungle like trees, elephant grass and bushes.

My gamingtable will be completely modular so that i can change it quite easily for the specific needs of a game i am planning. The games will be more or less genuine SOG type missions along and on the Ho Chi Minh trail.

At this point i am also looking for other suitable stuff that is period, in the right scale and preferable not to expensive. So hardware like planes, choppers and of course NVA trucks are all on the shoppinglist.
There's still lots to be done but i am now at the point where i can do small games like an area or point recon with the promise of some (still) small but dedicated opposition.

Offline Paleskin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 08:55:34 AM »
good start being made!
what rules you thinking of using,played FNG a few times,plays better than it reads,quite smooth once you get going and its got some campaign rules which are a nice addition.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 09:18:30 AM »
I like your stuff, and I would like to see more of your jungle scenery. I am planning a campaign set in WW2 Burma, and I would welcome a chance to be inspired.

Do you not put your figures on bases? I find that very curious.  ???
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 01:53:52 PM »
good start being made!
what rules you thinking of using
I will use Recon, from 1982 by Role Playing Games inc. It's all being discovered as we speak...euuhh write. But from what i ahve read and already tryed out, it seems to suit my needs just fine.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 02:04:23 PM »
I like your stuff, and I would like to see more of your jungle scenery. I am planning a campaign set in WW2 Burma, and I would welcome a chance to be inspired.

Do you not put your figures on bases? I find that very curious.  ???
You are most wellcome. In the coming days i will post more pictures of my bit of Laotian jungle and i hope it will inspire you even more. Interestingly enough, i too have an idea of doing a project set in Burma 1944. Years ago i bought a splendid book about the second Chindit operation by Bidwell, called The Chindit War. If you can get your hands on it, i suggest you do and read it. Especially the exploits of the more exotic commando outfits that operated in that area are well worth reading and inspired me very much.

Oh, about the bases. The miniatures that i use are from TAG and come with an integral base of metal. But i have glued them onto bits of sturdy and varnish impregnated cardboard and then covering the base with a small amount of DAS Pronto. I will try to make some pictures especially for you but my camera does not have a lense for close up work so bare with me on this one ;-).

Offline markiemark

• Librarian
    • Tabletop-buildings.com
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 04:41:06 PM »
Hi Legion,

that terrain looks great man, can't wait to get the team ready to do some missions against the VC...

regards
mark

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 08:44:34 PM »
Hi Legion,

that terrain looks great man, can't wait to get the team ready to do some missions against the VC...

regards
mark
You will get your chance soon enough young master Mark. But be advised it will not be the VC or Victor Charlie who you will be up against. No no, your advesary will nothing less then one of the worlds most accomplished jungle fighters this side of the Milky Way. The North Vietnamese Army or Nathaniel Victor for close friends. And they will be hunting your young white ass on the trail.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:39:42 PM by Legion1963 »