Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:17:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690603
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: Presenting entries for Build Something 3 (WATER), Final round  (Read 2477 times)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Blackwolf, I regret you found my comments hurtful. Perhaps I should have made more of the point where I said it was stunning and real piece of art.

In response to a comment later about the workbench I did go back and read through your progress thread, I had not done that during the contest due to lack of time so came on the voting threads without any pre-conceived ideas or bias and took each at its value for judging a modelling/painting contest.

I picked this image from your in progress thread:

Here the colours and details are visible which in the final image they are not. For the images in the judging rounds I get a extremely dark image with an almost total black cast overtone, Soft focus sepia light tones on 5 of the girls and a centre reflection of the water. I see no background or undergrowth, very indistinct rocks and edge of the pond. No details of the girls other than vague forms and impressions of face, bodies and poses. It was only when I looked at the workbench thread I found there were more than 5 girls there. I would have voted for what I now see in those images, but cannot see in the final image.

As I said it is a stunning image and you have presented the scene and the atmosphere superbly. From the progress thread pictures in the workbench you are an extremely talented modeller and obviously equally skilled photographer, but my comments are based on what I see and was given to judge on. I mistook your photographic lighting and focus skill as image processing effects, I am really sorry.

Rob
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:47:54 PM by robh »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Presenting entries for Build Something 3 (WATER), Final round
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 12:21:35 PM »
I split this comment away from the voting thread as I don't think it belonged there. It put an unsuitable amount of focus on one entry.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 01:52:17 PM »
Arrgh...I wish you had told me!!, I assumed I messed up the posting and reposted my apology in the other thread.
I have deleted that text now.
Rob

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 07:45:06 PM »
Thank you robh for the explanation,no harm done.
   My concern with the comp. photos was that the girls should be part of the scene,not the subject,with an unfortunate reduction of photo quality that entailed; every time I look at my comp. photos,all I see is mistakes. I guess we are all critical of one own work ;)

Regards

Guy
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 08:07:41 PM »
I split this comment away from the voting thread as I don't think it belonged there. It put an unsuitable amount of focus on one entry.

As ever you are a paragon of fair play Hammers.

Also, it's great to see fellow LAFers just sorting out issues like this as polite, considerate individuals. This is one of the reasons this forum is so good, it's the people! Group hug ! :D