Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:11:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690821
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 532
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Brazilwood War - Battle Report 06.03.2013  (Read 6526 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Brazilwood War - Battle Report 06.03.2013
« on: January 18, 2013, 04:25:59 PM »
Taking a little break from stunties, I have dug out my unfinished 16th century Portuguese. I have about 2/3rds minis painted with natives etc but thought I should finish them all off. I will post fluff and resources and have some tweaked variant rules working on etc.

I had sold almost all hisotrical stuff off other than keeping samurai and these which I couldnt bare to part with :D

In the interim here are some You tube clips of films to get the painbrushes moving ;)

Beware copious indigenous Knockers, Knobs and Nunny ;) ;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:39:38 AM by Lowtardog »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Place Holder - Brazilwood War
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 04:43:14 PM »

Part of my 70 strong Tupi warband, I also have similar amounts of Botocudo or Aimroe as a rival faction

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 04:56:12 PM »
The conflict was very much akin to the French Indian Wars and I ahve used modified This very Ground rules. I wont upload the whole rules as it was a variant that Ralph Krebs and I were working on, However I will post lists for troop types and some related stats for weapons etc :D

Some interesting links and info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botocudo_people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples_in_Brazil

http://countrystudies.us/brazil/6.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fern%C3%A3o_de_Loronha

http://www.balagan.org.uk/war/new-world/brazil/painting_guide.htm

Bit of an intro to the Banderiantes

Bandeirantes

The Bandeirantes (followers of the banner) are credited with expanding Portugal's colony into the interior of what today is Brazil. They were also known as Paulistas. Many were descended from Tupi mothers and Portuguese fathers. These were men who wanted to become rich quick – quicker than farming. They worked as free-enterprisers in a group as opposed to expeditions funded by the Portuguese government.

The Bandeirantes had firearms and the Tupi had bows and arrows. The Bandeirantes pursued their slave gathering by disguising themselves as Jesuits, sometimes singing mass to lure the Tupi from their settlements. If luring them didn't work, the Bandeirantes might surround a settlement and set in afire to force them out. Sometimes the Bandeirantes conducted a surprise attack. Another Bandeirante tactic was to set one native tribe against a second tribe in order to weaken them, and then to enslave both of them.

The Bandeirantes collected those they captured in a large outdoor pen until, maybe weeks or months later, they had enough to justify a return trip to the coast, where the captured would be sold as slaves. For the journey to the coast the captives were stripped and tied to a long pole to prevent them from trying to flee.

At least some of the Jesuit missionaries considered themselves opponents of the Bandeirantes but they accompanied them, providing mass before an expedition and serving the dying and the dead.

Bandeirantes were frontiersmen. They planted and harvested food patches as they went. They built roads and founded settlements. They provided colonial administrators with information useful for mapping the land while not claiming property rights.

As the number of natives diminished, the interest of the Bandeirantes moved to finding riches such as gold. Word was out, with some exaggeration, on discoveries made by the Spanish. In the 1660s, the Portuguese government offered rewards to those who discovered gold and silver deposits in inner Brazil, and the Bandeirantes responded.

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 10:59:04 AM »
Great to see you back on this Karl  :) :) :)
Looking forward to seeing it develop.
Cheers

Richard

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 11:04:26 AM »
This sounds very similar to the background of the film "The Mission"  :D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:25:01 AM by joroas »
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 06:59:23 PM »
Here's another for you:

Very nice work on the Tupi
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 07:14:48 PM »
I would also suggest this one, a fabulous  written and narrated by the late and sadly missed Darcy Ribeiro, one of Brazil's great historians and a man with an immense humanity.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:22:55 PM by carlos marighela »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 02:47:25 PM »
Just wish I could speak...insert Spanish, German, French, Portuguese  ;D

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 02:04:21 PM »
Hi Karl,

Ralph here.

Glad to see you're not abandoning the conflicts in the New World. I must say, I never get tired of looking at photos of the Tupi. Get to work on those Conquistadors.
"This I have known ever since I stretched out my fingers to the abomination within that great gilded frame; stretched out my fingers and touched a cold and unyielding surface of polished glass." 

H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 02:17:41 PM »
Karl,

While I have you here........how (dis)similar do you think the inhabitants of the western Amazon are to the Tupi and others that were living on the Atlantic coast of Brazil? I'm interested in depicting the Anti from the Antisuyu region of the Inca empire. What are your thoughts?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 08:31:20 PM »
I'd suggest they would be quite different in terms of dress and appearance. Try googling Asháninka people and see what you come up with.

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 04:19:39 AM »
Thanks, Carlos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iwgia/3464589485/

Here's an example of an archer's tattooing.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:22:00 AM by Bowman »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 05:50:11 AM »
I think the suggestion is that people of that region may have traditionally worn cotton tunics and not just as some modern nod towards notions of Christian decency imposed by a missionary on some aldeia. That would fit with Inca influence, who wore such tunics themselves. At any rate they wouldn't appear to match either of the existent ranges of South American Indians. I suppose with skill and patience you could model tunics on to the Copplestone or Brigade games figures.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Brazilwood War - Battle Report
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 09:21:11 AM »
First battle report,

Scenario a newly established Warehouse engenhos ("factories")or trading post used to trade for Brazilwood and typically slave labour by natives for trinkets etc.

The Capitao Maor leading the Factory has got off to a bad start upsetting not only the local Tupi Tribe but also the Aimore tribe who have been recently pushed out of the interior by their more numerous and aggresive Tupi neighbours.

So the stage is set, un beknown to each other the Portuguese expect an attack, the Tupi and Aimore decide for various reasons to remove the heads, goods and any trace of the white men......

This was played using a varition of This Very Ground, it worked quite well, what we found were the bows were deadly, in hindsight I will reduce the melee of the natives as they were killlers...or it coulc have just been the dice :D

The Factory with its defenders preparing to meet an assualt, by whom they are not sure but a local christian native has tipped them off!

The Aimore Warband receive blessings and spells from their Shaman

The Tupi Likewise prepare for war thorugh ritual dancing and singing

The Portuguese Mobilise

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Brazilwood War - Battle Report
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 09:24:27 AM »
The Aimore move up to the Factory to take captives which has now become their want

The Portuguese Militia engage the Aimore, cut down almost to a man as the natives swiftly sweep over them, the air sings with arrows

Meanwhile the Tupi attack therough the sugar fields, unwisely and are met with Musket fire