Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:37:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Angry Mob (page 1) and African Union (page 2) for Force on Force  (Read 17033 times)

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
Force on Force gives rules for civilian mobs, which I thought looked like a fun element to add to a battle, but as my campaign is set in a fictional West African country called Zugando, I had a certain problem: Namely, a chronic lack of suitable civilian models, especially African looking ones.

This is kind of the look I was going for...

After an exhaustive internet search, I decided to make my own, using various plastic kits available on the market. Having already acquired some plastic Studio Miniatures Zombies and Wargames Factory Zombie Vixens, I needed something that looked a bit more African. That was when I hit on the idea of using Perry Miniatures colonial-era Africans. After an appeal on this forum I managed to get ten off Just John. Just John was intrigued what I was planing to do with his plastic Africans, and so I would post some pictures on this forum.

These are some of my, as yet unpainted, models. I will post the finished ones as and when I complete them. I also plan on repeating the proses to make some general civilians. I think you will agree that theses kits are really versatile. I know I am no sculptor, but a bit of GS and a bit of pro-create stuck to a mini can be a great start. I plan to cover up a multitude of sins with a nice paint job.   :D

Here is my favourite- Flag Burner. Basic model is Perry Miniatures. I cut away the loin cloth and added baggy trousers- hair was added with liquid Green Stuff (LGS). Next is a model by Wargames Foundry- Charismatic Preacher. The only change was to add an afro hair style.

This was an easy one- a Mahdist right out of the box. I though he looked to old-fashioned, but in the photos I found on line, a lot of West Africans still wear traditional garb. I just cut the weapons away from his hands and added GS sandals.
His buddy- Bomber Jacket, is a Studio Miniatures Zombie, with hands and a head off the Perry Africans. A GS afro finished the job. Perry heads and studio heads are not the same at the neck, so a bit of shaving and filling was required.

Flag Waver is a Perry Mahdist with the spear changed for a flag, and his loin cloth cut away. I used pro-create to add some shorts, and LGS to add some trainers.
Angry Lady is a Zombie Vixen (the least zombiefied out of the bunch) I cut her hands off and added different hands of the same kit, and repositioned the raised arm

Angry Stick Man is a Mahdist. I added a a Tee-shirt with GS, and extended his sarong. I also added an Afro in GS. Fist Waving Stick Man is another Studio Miniatures zombie  with a Mahdist head and arms. I used Green stuff to add short sleeves and LGS to fill in the tears in his clothing.

Finally Traditional Placard Man is a Mahdist, with his weapon removed. He has a GS sleeve on one arm. Western Placard Man is a Studio Miniatures Zombie- again he has Mahdist head and arms, and has had GS sleeves made. I really like this one- it looks like he has just come form the office to join in a riot.

Hope you like them- I am interested in feed back.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 07:51:31 PM by Rob_bresnen »
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Angry African Mob for Force on Force (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 05:37:30 PM »
I really like what you've done here and it's something I would never have thought of (not that that is in any way limited to just this of course).

I'm not sure about the 'Fuzzy Wuzzy' head personally, but everything else works for me. With the amount of plastic about at the moment, some cross-swapping of bits and limbs looks likely to reap dividends. 

So a 'Well done!' from me.  :)

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 05:54:26 PM »
To be honest I used the fuzzy wuzzy head because I had used up all the others. I am not to sure about it either. I might look about for an alternative.

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 06:07:59 PM »
Really like your conversion' s - wish I had that sort of ability!

The short dress in the right hand woman in the third picture may be need to be lengthened to fit in with cultural norms!

Offline Just John

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 06:50:30 PM »
Well Rob I have to say I'm impressed. A great use of all those different bits and pieces.

Looking forward to seeing them painted up now.

John

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 07:30:09 PM »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 08:19:23 PM »
Nice work Rob.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 04:26:26 PM »
Great work, Rob, very imaginative!

Lets see if I can convert my Studio zombies as well as you have managed.
They look great!
 :-*

Looking forward to seeing them with a lick of paint....

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 07:35:21 PM »
Nice work  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 08:27:21 PM »
Depends on the setting (urban/rural/etc.)

http://www.krachtvancultuur.nl/en/current/2006/march/kigezindoto.html

http://freeuganda.wordpress.com/2009/02/18/african-modern-woman/

http://yayemarieba.blogspot.com/2007/07/okay-brace-yourselves-gentlemen-meet.html

http://www.ventures-africa.com/2012/03/epitome-of-modern-woman-meet-10-inspiring-african-women-under-40-from-10-countries/

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=modern+african+women&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&sa=X&tbo=d&rls=en&biw=1279&bih=593&tbm=isch&tbnid=WXKtmgrgvvdB_M:&imgrefurl=http://www.afwny.com/2011/10/19/african-businesswomen-in-the-modern-world/&docid=Qj5bBCMr567cvM&imgurl=http://www.afwny.com/media01/2011/10/313348_658105903517_18603682_34714398_231176730_n.jpg&w=637&h=960&ei=I0P8UMveDoe6qgH5_YDQDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=446&vpy=191&dur=2478&hovh=276&hovw=183&tx=97&ty=131&sig=112697623071031554035&page=3&tbnh=149&tbnw=100&start=59&ndsp=36&ved=1t:429,r:79,s:0,i:327

http://www.afwny.com/2011/10/19/african-businesswomen-in-the-modern-world/

http://www.clairenadine.com/photo/158/gorgeous-african-women/

Not saying these are "average" - whatever that means - but simply there is a lot of room in Africa for variance of fashion/dress.

Or she could be the cause for the mob even...

Gracias,

Glenn

The funny thing being that most of those links show Afro-American, Afro Caribbean women or a selection of GQ type fashion model shots. Hardly representative, though it is fair to say that the range of fashions in Africa runs a wide gamut.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 10:44:09 PM »
For sure - (I had like 5 minutes to search for images before I left to go home) these are not largely "African" completely.  That word has been so stretched (like "Indian Culture" in the USA) to the point it means whatever the writer wants it to mean.  If you are setting up a "generic Africa" setting instead of a specific setting it could be normal, unusual, or even aberrant to have a dress of that length/style on a person in a crowd.

Just started researching a West African country (split between religious, tribal, and ethnic tensions - wait that is most of Africa,) and there is a wide range of dress (outside of "traditional" clothing) in some of the larger cities. 

I guess it depends on how strong the influences of "Fashion" have infiltrated a locale.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 06:14:57 AM »
Oh well if the criteria for 'African' was that broad I'd have posted random images of my wife in various outfits. Not sure it would be a reliable guide to contemporary costume on the African continent mind you.  :)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 10:50:36 AM »
The point remains though, that there is a very wide range of styles that can be found, to a greater or lesser extent, wherever you go in Africa.

Even within regions, the incidence of 'traditional dress' varies with location (as it does anywhere actually). As a general rule of thumb though, the more urban the location, the more 'Western' the clothing. 

Offline Cueball

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 10:23:47 PM »

Nice conversions there! I got hold of a box of Perry Mahdists to do exactly the same , but lost the bottle to attempt it...

You've just given me my mojo back ! :D

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 01:58:24 PM »
Cool. post pictures of them when you are done.  :P