Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:05:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690649
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: obsidian3d's Strange Aeons thread - Santa and Elf (page 4)  (Read 15504 times)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
obsidian3d's Strange Aeons thread - Santa and Elf (page 4)
« on: January 21, 2013, 07:02:28 PM »
Part of a post from my blog (available at http://obsidian3d.blogspot.ca/2013/01/first-finished-items-of-2013.html)

I completed a few more markers and terrain bits for horror gaming, most likely Strange Aeons with this batch.

With all the cultists running around in my collection I thought that they needed some larger objects to focus their worship around. I grabbed a few of the large Cthulhu tokens from the Call of Cthulhu LCG core set and slapped a little paint on them.

They turned out quite nicely and having two of them is good. Drop one on either side of a temple entrance, or use a single one as an altar or something like that...versatility is key! Besides, it was no more work to make one as opposed to a pair.

I also added some long needed static grass to my previously completed stone obelisk. Nothing new or exciting, but I think it gives the piece a more finished feel. I still need to figure out how to properly represent glowing stuff with my painting. I'll have to do some research on that one.

The final piece of scenery is actually a two-parter: the stone crypt and chained coffin from Uncle Mike's Worldwide line of stuff for Strange Aeons. As I've mentioned previously the chained coffin is one of my favorites pieces from them. Having a second one to add to my collection makes me happy. I painted it almost identically to the first, but experimented a bit more with doing green stone on the crypt. I used some of the same colours as the Cthulhu statues but different washes and highlights to give is a more earthy feel. I'm happy with it.

And of course I can't resist combining Alpha Flight and Cthulhu-related minis together in my posts, I simply had to take a picture to commemorate the occasion! (I wish I had a little piece of grass mat to have dropped this on, but you'll get the idea.)

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 08:38:02 PM by obsidian3d »
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Bullock

• Student
Re: obsidian3d's Strange Aeons 2013 thread
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 07:26:13 PM »
Fantastic work there obsidian3d's!

I promised my old mucka in crime Mason I would start to use this Forum and take a (these things can be addictive so was avoiding) more active role in posting and commenting.

I'm getting back on the paint wagon after too many false starts and work like this inspires me.

Keep up those high standards.

Bullock
BULLOCK

Offline cuchulain23

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 10:20:10 PM »
I like your figs and the Cthulhu statues, might have to get some of the tokens myself from the LCG. Obelisk looks great with the static grass.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 11:06:30 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 09:18:37 AM »
Great stuff, Obsidian3d!
Love the Chained Coffin!
 :-*

Nice work on all of it, and thanks for helping give Bullock a shove in the right direction, it is much appreciated if you are helping him along.
 ;)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 10:33:29 AM »
Wow, I didn't even know there were any Alphalight minis around. Go Canada!  8)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 12:12:36 AM »
Reposted from my blog at http://obsidian3d.blogspot.ca/2013/02/field-report-sa-130207-f.html. A few more images can be found there too.

Feb 25, 1923

To: Director Silver, Calgary Field Office

RE: Case File SA-130207-F

Director,

After our long trip over the Atlantic we finally arrived in London and then traveled by train to Braunschweig. Our journey was uneventful, and after the good professor consulted with some of his colleagues at the university, we set off into the northern forest to follow up on Agent Monique's report. She is to meet us with further intelligence when her duties permit.

We found the sacrificial circle exactly where she had described it would be. We immediately began to investigate the outlying area. With dusk rapidly approaching we were completing our preliminary survey when suddenly set upon by uniformed soldiers. They were well trained and extremely well armed. We were quite simply not prepared for that level of firepower.

Both Agent MacIntyre and myself were able to take cover, but were immediately flanked and took heavy fire. Luckily the local surgeons were able to patch us up and we are none the worse for wear. I'll confess to fearing for both of us for more than a moment!

Agent Daniels was caught in open while trying to assist Professor Armitage, and since then seems to be suffering from distress while in open spaces. Physically he seems fine, but in the days following the encounter I've noticed his discomfort. He's tried to keep his composure but I'm certain that his stride quickens when simply crossing a large room or an outdoor space. I am hopeful that it won't affect his performance, but I'll certainly be mindful of it.

Agent McDermott was unable to get a closer look at the circle before having to retreat under fire. The soldiers were garbed in grey and I've never seen the like of them before. Their leader was a smaller man and he was wearing a gleaming silver helmet, which reminded me of the fellow I dispatched last autumn. We didn't recover a body, but the likelihood of it being the same man can simply not be possible. Can it? Perhaps our luck has turned and we've happened upon a connection I thought long cold!

We will continue to investigate.

Carl Selinger
Commanding Field Agent

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 12:20:06 AM »
Great stuff, mate!

Agoraphobia, eh?
I have heard that is a bit of a git.....Daniels will be a bit of a cover-hugger from now on it seems.

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 02:51:53 AM »
Nice looking game obsidian3d.

Offline cuchulain23

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 04:30:02 AM »
Good looking game and a nice battle report.

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 03:34:04 PM »
Looking great!!
www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 04:43:02 PM »
Thanks folks. Uncle Mike and James are coming out for some games tomorrow. We haven't played since before Christmas, so I'm looking forward to getting another game or three in then!

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 05:35:04 PM »
Thanks folks. Uncle Mike and James are coming out for some games tomorrow. We haven't played since before Christmas, so I'm looking forward to getting another game or three in then!

I last played in October...the guy I was gaming with has had a great deal of personal stuff come up keeping him away from the gaming tables.  Been itching to play.  :'(
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 05:50:24 PM »
I haven't really painted anything for Strange Aeons for a while actually. The last agents I did back in September are still alive, so that's a positive thing. Of course, they haven't had much action either.

That doesn't mean I don't have plans of course! I want to finish painting my Death Kult for Kulten. That means actually finishing the Nazi troopers, and starting on their accompanying mad scientist & zombie horde. Once that's done I'd like to paint a few of the Bob Murch cowled cultists I have to beef up the ranks of my Serpent Cult. Those poor schmoes need some guns!

Probably won't happen until next month however, as I'm currently finishing off the Lycaon starter box and a squad of bobbies for Empire of the Dead.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 07:22:54 PM »
Strange Aeons Game Night (reposted from my blog here: http://obsidian3d.blogspot.ca/2013/03/strange-aeons-game-night.html)

Well, well well...I actually got to play a few games yesterday. Uncle Mike and James dropped by Trilogy for a bit. I ran lurkers for both of my games. One against Sebastien who had a three-agent Threshold list pitted against a high priest. One of the agents is now suffering from poor health, which could prove devastating in future games.

James' 24-point group of agents found themselves up against heavily armed and well trained Nazi soldiers. Two of the agents took fire while trying to navigate the cliffs of the dig site. Their leader was set upon with machine fire shortly after and was unfortunately killed. Uncle Mike praised the Lurker efforts, "That list needed to die..."

Michael and Uncle Mike played a game as well. From the cursing at their table it sounds as though the zombie horde Mike's agents were up against were extremely hungry. Apparently a particularly powerful strain of serum was in play and succeeded in creating a Blasphemous construct AND two speedy walkers. I'm uncertain of the death toll in that one.

In my rush to make it to work on time in the morning, I had forgotten my Kulten lists, so I wasn't able to play any games of that. On the positive side, the guys will be back at the shop in two weeks so we'll be getting some more games in very shortly.