Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:10:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686637
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: obsidian3d's Strange Aeons thread - Santa and Elf (page 4)  (Read 15434 times)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
Re: obsidian3d's Strange Aeons 2013 thread
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 06:17:41 PM »
More photos available at (http://obsidian3d.blogspot.ca/2013/03/field-report-sa-130307-f.html)

Field Report: SA-130307-F

Mar 25, 1923

To: Director Silver, Calgary Field Office
RE: Case File SA-130307-F

Director,

My fellows are growing impatient waiting for the arrival of Agent Monique, so once again we ventured out into the forest in hopes of collecting some useful information on our own. There were several more uniformed men patrolling the woods around our area of interest. It seems that they have expanded their radius and their numbers.

Even though we were expecting more vigilance than previously, we were once again outmatched. We were set upon almost immediately and had to retreat. Quite frankly, luck is the only thing that saved our hides. These men are far better armed and trained than the average cultist or backwater shaman that we've encountered before. I fear that we have only brushed the surface of things.

We've most assuredly aroused some suspicions. If Agent Monique doesn't arrive soon we will be forced to proceed without her and that could prove disastrous.

Please advise.

Carl Selinger
Commanding Field Agent

P.S.: Does the phrase "Black Sun" hold any significance?
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 01:02:50 AM »
Great report.  I just lost 1/2 hour in the black hole that is your blog.  Tons of cool stuff on there.  I especially like the Alpha Flight conversions.  My copy of x-men 120 is my pride and joy!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 09:22:26 AM »
Great stuff, obsidian3d!

Loving that creepy tree!
 :-*

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 11:58:27 AM »
Good opening there!
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 06:38:35 PM »
Thanks folks. I can't take credit for the table or scenery. That stuff is all compliments of Uncle Mike and his crew.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 08:51:32 PM »
Another Strange Aeons Game Night: Menace of the Depths
(re-posted from my blog at http://obsidian3d.blogspot.ca/2013/04/strange-aeons-game-night-menace-of.html)

Uncle Mike and James dropped by Trilogy again last night, on their regularly scheduled 2nd-Thursday-of-the-Month visit for Strange Aeons. As per usual they brought along some beautiful hand-crafted scenery, as well as all lots of lavishly painted miniatures.

Of particular note was the new giant fishman model. I had seen this figure before a few weeks back but we hadn't tried using it in a game until tonight. Also, as a member of the Cult of the Black Goat, I was very happy to receive my free submerged monster model. Mike brought a cast of the full-sized beastie for me as well, which looks amazing. It's huge, very well sculpted and the cast is super-clean. I have a feeling it will be jumping into my painting queue pretty soon.

With the Calgary Expo coming up in a few weeks Mike and I played through their demo scenario twice. I have to say, the board and scenery looked top notch, as per usual. Oh and the game scenario was pretty damn fun too.

The basic gist is that the Lurkers are trying to chisel away an artifact on the island, and once successful they can toss it in the water to summon the giant fishman creature. The Threshold agents, are naturally trying to stop these nefarious people from raising the monster from the depths. If they can place three dynamite charges and successfully detonate them, the fishman and any cultists (and possibly some agents) will be blown to hell, and victory will be assured.

The first game we played saw Uncle Mike controlling the Threshold. The agents rowed their canoes / boats up the center channel and a great round of shots splattered the small fishman on the docks into gooey fish paste. The nearest cultist frenzied and ran up to the dock hoping for revenge.

The cult leader commanded his sniper and the enraged cultist to open fire while he moved up and started chiseling away the totem himself. As the agents approached, choppy waters (and poor dice rolls) caused their shots to go astray. The cultists however continued firing and were able to wound two agents and cause two more to dive for cover into the water.

During the shooting the cult leader finished removing the totem and tossed it in the water himself. The stirrings of the giant fish creature came too late though, as the rifle and tommy gun-toting villains had already dispatched the agents to watery graves.

For the second game we switched roles and I took control of the agents. Once again Uncle Mike rolled to go first. His cult leader took a more direct approach and ordered two cultists in immediately to almost totally uproot the totem in the first turn.

In response I split my forces, bringing up three agents in their boat on the north side of the island, while the two in the canoe pulled around the south more slowly. As the boat pulled within range of the, some well aimed tommy gun and shotgun fire splattered the cult leader's brains on the island peak. Terrified one of the cultist fainted, and flopped down the cliffs into the murky waters.

The surviving cultist at the peak was able to finish the job and drop the totem into the ocean. Time was now of the essence for the agents! The canoe pulled within firing range of the south dock, but were unable to gun down the cultists, one weapon jamming due to the salty sea air. The swimming fishman capsized and destroyed their canoe quickly making lunch of one of the floundering agents.

The leader knew the stakes however and pulled his boat up to the western dock. His crew vaulted over the moored canoe and spread out, quickly shooting down the remaining cultists from behind to begin planting their dynamite charges.

The waters to the northwest began to roil and an unspeakable horror popped its ugly maw above the surface. It rapidly made its way to the west dock, destroying the remaining canoe and boat and thus any means of escape for the agents. Luckily the charges were set and everyone on the island began making their way to the eastern dock.

Floating in the water while trying to unjam ones weapon is a sure-fire (ooh bad pun) way to get filleted by a fishman. Trapped by the horrors offshore the last agent on the island was suddenly face to face with a huge, hideous, oozing beast. He held his ground however, and distracted the massive monster while the other two survivors dove into the water and swam a safe distance.

Diving underneath the scaly horror, the agent snorted bitterly as he pressed the detonator down. "One order of fried fish, coming up!"

A huge fiery explosion rocketed into the night air, silhouetting the swimming survivors. Three comrades were lost, but the world was safe a little while longer.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 09:40:37 PM »
Great stuff, Obsidian3d!
Interesting reports, good to see it from both sides.
 8)

That board is excellent and that Deep One is one seriously large beastie!
Blimey!!!
 :-* :-*

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 09:55:27 PM »
Thanks, glad you liked the reports. Just don't make too big a deal that Uncle Mike lost both games. He's so sensitive... :P

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 09:56:16 PM »
Good stuff! And jealous also!

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 06:17:50 AM »
Not specifically intended for Strange Aeons games, but that's likely where they'll show up first!

RAFM Zombie Horde Box Set Painted
(originally posted on my blog at http://obsidian3d.blogspot.ca/2013/04/rafm-zombie-horde-box-set-painted.html. There are a half-dozen more pictures there too.)

Well folks, with all the zombies out there in games, on TV and in the popular media these days, you'd think I would have painted dozens of them by now. Amazingly enough however these are my first but I'm pretty sure there are going to be hordes more of them! (Ha ha, see what I did there?)

Here's my work with a box of RAFM zombies I bought late last summer at Sentry Box for $30. There were ten in the box, and I admit to being a little annoyed at getting duplicates of two of the figures inside. A little creative painting though and hopefully they won't be too obvious among a mass of undead flesh eaters.

The lone female in the set is massive in stature. If she were standing upright she'd tower over top of the rest of the figures, and that right arm is almost as long as she is tall. The gore and wounds on her are well sculpted, but do think that she's rather over the top (as are her 'endowments'). Sadly, this figure is also the only female zombie I have in my collection. Are undead dudes just that much easier to sculpt than women?!

Each of these figures has some nice touches and characterful bits to make them unique, but they were obviously sculpted by different hands at different times so that is a strike against them. The price (in retrospect) was also a little high, as $3/figure is decent, but the sculpts are also only that. If they were all different figures I'd probably complain far less.

I particularly liked the chubby guy with glasses because it reminded me of my dad. Not that I think my dad is a zombie of course, but the resemblance was still there! I tried doing up a plaid pattern on the shirt, green over grey with a square of turquoise at each intersection. It turned out great, and now it's totally zombie-dad. Urgh...

All of the figures were first painted with P3 Thrall Flesh for their skin. Clothing was painted on next on a figure by figure basis. I didn't have a plan before I started...I was just going with what seemed to fit the models. The internal organs, blood and exposed muscles were painted with some GW Red Gore and a few touches of P3 Carnal Pink. The bones were hit with GW Bleached Bone and an occasional touch of Skull White. After that was all done I used some Army Painter Soft Tone Quickshade to finish them off.

This was my first time using the Quickshade varnish. I used the splash-on method, which takes some time and care to not over-apply. In a few cases I did leave a little too much. I'm also not sure that I like the colour of the soft tone. It's a rather gritty, dirty brown. That said it does work pretty well for zombies but I'd be cautious with using it for other figures, especially anything white or yellow that you want to stay bright.

Additionally, I think that the Quickshade isn't much of a time saver on small batches of figures. Doubly so considering that I had to apply two coats of brush-on AP anti-shine matt varnish to cut the gloss afterwards. They turned out well enough, but I don't know that I would repeat this process again unless doing the same number of figures or more in a single batch. And then, dipping and matt spray would be way faster of course!

What do you think?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 06:20:33 AM by obsidian3d »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2013, 07:21:23 AM »
They look good to me, mate.
Nothing wrong with those beasties.
 :-*

That is the right way to approach zombies (warily...?), well, painting them anyway.
Quick and dirty.
Washes and drybrushing, etc...
You cannot spend ages worrying about them if you have a whole stack to paint, and these look good.

(I have a few of them in my excess pile, and wondered what range they came from. Now I know.  :D)

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 01:33:19 AM »
I was waiting for someone to post a picture of that reef terrain board.  Awesome stuff.  Do you know how lucky it is to play with the creator of a game on a regular basis?

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 01:40:02 AM »
Especially when he never wins... >:(

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 11:54:13 AM »
Can't you just make up a rule to win?  Who is going to question you?  "Uh you forgot to calculate the Threshold Agent's fear accumulated fear bonus.  It's on page 6 of the latest Back dossier".   ;)

You could win every time!

I love the reef by the way.  You should stop by Winnipeg and we can connect it up to my Innsmouth table.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2013, 05:37:41 PM »
Nah that wouldn't work. At least not with me. I've got a pretty good handle on most of the rules. Besides, who want to win by fudging the rules?! Those games were both tons of fun regardless of who won. They were like little movies!