Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:07:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686612
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: obsidian3d's Strange Aeons thread - Santa and Elf (page 4)  (Read 15433 times)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
Re: obsidian3d's ongoing Strange Aeons thread
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2014, 07:33:04 PM »
Field Report: SA2-141125-MA

November 25, 1924

To: Director Silver, Calgary Field Office
RE: Case File SA2-141125-MA

Last week my team was investigating the rumours of a large creature near Dead Man's Flats west of Calgary. The rumours proved to be factual; we found the beast near the small church north-east of the settlement. It was easily double the height of a normal man with pallid oozing skin, no visible eyes or mouths, and copious amount of tentacular appendages.

The beast proved surprisingly agile and was nearly upon us in moments. Dynamite seemed a prudent choice and we were lucky Agent Moreau was able to tap into her psychic abilities to help Agent Carter focus his efforts. Randolph ran forward and landed a lucky shot with his incendiaries, but was immediately pounced upon by the monster. We feared him dead as the beast continued its pursuit.

My own gunfire proved ineffectual in slowing the tentacled mass, but Agent Daniels valiantly jumped in its path and disappeared screaming amidst those writhing, ooze covered arms. Monique and I both lost our nerve a bit at this point and began retreating towards the safety of the church.

At the thought of leaving my men behind however I screwed up my courage. I believe Agent Moreau is partly responsible for my change of heart. I could feel her mind brush my own, lending me clarity as I reloaded my double-barrelled shotgun and turned to face the nightmare lumbering toward us. My first shot went astray, but the second...the second landed home. I can only term it luck, some might call it divine providence.

I'll take it regardless, as the beast collapsed and began to...deflate or rot, I'm not completely certain. It cast off a most revolting, noxious aroma. There was little left to investigate, but we managed to collect a small amount to bring back for study. I'm also happy to announce that all of the members of my team are well and accounted for, if a little worse for wear.

I recommend that we further investigate the parishioners of the area, as I doubt it is mere happenstance that we encountered this beast so near a church. A church can hide many secrets, as you well know director.

Carl Selinger
Commanding Field Agent
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2014, 06:33:47 PM »
Reposted from my blog here (http://obsidian3d.blogspot.ca/2014/12/three-more-umw-figures-for-strange-aeons.html)

These were among some of the first pulp-themed figures I purchased. Come to think of it, I believe I've had these for nearly three years! They're one of the original sets of investigators from Uncle Mike's Worldwide, purveyors of the fine game Strange Aeons.

If memory serves I based and primed these figures nearly two years ago, after which time they sat on my priming board atop the refrigerator, awaiting paint. I've got dozens of figures in the same condition, and several others sitting next to my painting desk in partially completed states. I don't know why I decided to paint these, other than the fact that the stuff on my desk all looked less than appealing when I sat down to paint the other night.

Currently my Threshold list doesn't need new members, but I know how that can change in an instant. It's always good to be prepared when dealing with unfathomable nightmarish creatures, dastardly cultists and fickle dice that constantly test ones sanity. None of them have had character profiles made up, but I did start thinking of some names. So, here are my agents-in-waiting.

This figure always makes me think of John Watson from the Sherlock Holmes stories. Maybe the book he's carrying are his memoirs, or some tome of dark and lurid magic. Doyle Jones seemed like a good name for him.

This is another figure that totally makes me think of Dana Scully from X-Files. I already painted one of the other agent figures with red hair, so I opted for colours I don't often use here. Most notably the green for her jacket, which was a watered down Vallejo green. I liked the shiny finish on it as it looks sort of like a rain coat. Melinda Carson isn't related to anything, and I don't know anyone named even remotely close, but that's what I came up with for her.

This model sort of reminds me of the Hermann Heizinger figure from Tannhauser, even though they really look nothing alike. The face on this figure was a little roughly cast, but you can still tell that he's definitely an older gent, so I gave him a mustache too. I think he's supposed to be equipped with a civil war sabre but one could argue it's a family heirloom or something. I haven't thought up a name for this fellow just yet. If you have a suggestion drop it in the comments below!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2014, 07:11:19 PM »
Another lost soul returns to the fold!
 :D

And armed with some nice new Agents.
Well done, sir.
 8) 8)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2014, 08:28:09 PM »
Lost soul? I didn't realize I'd left...although I have been accused of not possessing a soul. I've not needed to paint anything for Strange Aeons in quite some time, but I assure you I'm quite active playing games and helping out with the rules testing for the upcoming second edition. :D

That aside, thanks for the compliments. They are appreciated!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2014, 12:24:05 AM »
Lost soul? I didn't realize I'd left...although I have been accused of not possessing a soul. I've not needed to paint anything for Strange Aeons in quite some time, but I assure you I'm quite active playing games and helping out with the rules testing for the upcoming second edition. :D

That aside, thanks for the compliments. They are appreciated!

Ah!
So you are just guilty of withholding piccies of said playtests then?
 >:D >:D >:D

;)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2014, 05:33:55 AM »
Haha not these particular ones no. But it is possible that some secrets may not yet be shared, even amongst the faithful.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2014, 08:32:23 PM »
*cracks the whip* Spill the beans!
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2014, 08:53:53 PM »
I say thee nay.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2014, 05:57:50 PM »
Reposted from my blog at http://obsidian3d.blogspot.ca/2014/12/seasons-beatings.html

No, no, no, I'm not advocating any kind of violence towards others during the holiday season (even though you might have some dangerous thoughts while all of your family is starting in on their fifth Christmas carol round the piano). "Season's Beatings" is the name of a Yuletide events chart for Strange Aeons. You can download it, as well as two holiday-themed scenarios, over at www.strange-aeons.ca in their Resources section. There's a lot of other good stuff to see too!

I'll shamefully confess that I have not played either of these scenarios, nor have I used the event chart. However, I was reminded of them after receiving some holiday gaming goodness from jolly old Uncle Mike. As I was going through all those lovely resin bits, I remembered my Black Goat special Maniac Santa figure! I had meant to paint him up last year. That didn't happen due to a scare for the family over Christmas...but this year, by George I wasn't going to be stopped in my work.

Now naturally Santa needs a helper. Magical gift-giving fellow he may be, but there are still a lot of holiday axes to grind. This brought me back to my newly received goodies. I hope Uncle Mike (or Santa) doesn't put me on the naughty list for showing my holiday rendition of this figure. I call him Ichor the elf.

The pictures aren't very good. That's what I get for taking them with my phone...but I hope you get the idea of what I was going for. Happy holiday gaming everyone!

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
Re: obsidian3d's Strange Aeons thread - Santa and Elf (page 4)
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2014, 01:39:52 AM »
Simply awesome, and what a great take on the henchman, I can't believe he fits so well, excellent color choices there. Murky Cthulhumas and thanks for sharing.
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2014, 03:13:26 AM »
Nice!

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2014, 04:22:43 AM »
Thanks for the comments gents. These two were fun to paint. :)