Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:25:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: GASLIGHT Quick Start Guide  (Read 1464 times)

Offline surdu

• Librarian
GASLIGHT Quick Start Guide
« on: January 21, 2013, 10:46:51 PM »
In order to make it easier for newcomers to get started with GASLIGHT we wrote a quick-start guide. You can download it from the GASLIGHT Web page (http://www.bucksurdu.com/buck_surdu/g.a.s.l.i.g.h.t..html) under "free stuff." The direct link to the file is http://www.bucksurdu.com/Personal/documents/GASLIGHTQuickStart.pdf

When we combined all the previous GASLIGHT books (and added new stuff), we organized the book in a construction-set, Chinese menu format. This was to facilitate players customizing their GASLIGHT experiences. We found that players were picking and choosing activation, shooting, morale, etc. from the various supplements, so we built The Compendium to facilitate this. A number of GASLIGHT players commented, however, that The Compendium was difficult for newcomers to pick up the game. This quick-start guide was meant to address this shortcoming.

Download it. Pass it along.

Buck

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Re: GASLIGHT Quick Start Guide
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 10:50:31 AM »
Nice one - I was just yesterday trying to convince on of my regular(ish) gaming buddies that we should get all GASLIGHTy - this will I'm sure make it easier to convince him.

EDIT: because apparently I can't spell.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:08:06 AM by Red Orc »

Offline surdu

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 10:39:09 PM »
Nice one - I was just yesterday trying to convince on of my regular(ish) gaming buddies that we should get all GASLIGHTy - this will I'm sure make it easier to convince him.

It's interesting you say that.  We've gotten a couple of similar responses.  What is holding your buddies back from tryinig the rules?

Buck

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 09:22:29 AM »
Oh, mostly inertia. And massive choice.

I've been building VSF forces, but he doesn't have much suitable (though of course Terminators with Assault Cannons = Impervious Suits with Portable Gatlings, etc). As we already play 40k and have been experimenting with Kings of War for fantasy, and also sometimes play Carcassonne and similar games, there is only so much gameyness to go around. Learning a new system always involves a certain hurdle of effort.

But the quick-start guide will help overcome that, maybe.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 06:30:02 PM »
Thanks for the direct link - the gaslight main site seemed a bit slow?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 10:55:05 PM »
This is really handy. I have a bunch of stuff ready for GASLIGHT, but need a way to 'retain' the rules in my head!