Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:51:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 516
Total: 524

Recent

Author Topic: French and Indian stuff  (Read 6810 times)

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
French and Indian stuff
« on: April 01, 2008, 02:59:19 PM »
I had a productive burst in the two weeks before my back went and finished 40 of the new Blue moon figures. Since I bought fancy new terrain at Cold Wars I thought I'd use it to distract the discriminating eye from my utterly average paint work.

[/img]

[/img]

I really need to get a proper backdrop for photographing minis. The bad photoshop sky is pretty distracting!

Offline chaplain severus

• Librarian
    • http://www.berkshirewargaming.com
French and Indian stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 03:35:59 PM »
"average"  the figures look very nice to me.  Lots of effort and attention to detail from the picture. The scenery is swell too!

Matt
"Hige sceal pe heardra, heorte pe cenre, mod sceal pe mare pe ure maegen lytlao"

"Will shall be the sterner, heart the bolder, and spirit the greater as our strength lessens."
-English Proverb

http://www.berkshirewargaming.com

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
French and Indian stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 03:38:31 PM »
Looks very nice indeed - and I really like the terrain as well. I'm guessing that the grass is made from Teddy Fur?

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
French and Indian stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 03:38:43 PM »
I'll agree - very little is average about those! I particularly like the Frenchies.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
French and Indian stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 03:49:47 PM »
Thanks gents. The field is indeed a teddy pelt. I got it and the corn behind the Frenchies from Battlefield Terrain Concepts. The trees are the GW ones I got on sale from the friendly local. They are altogether too manicured for F&I, but  I have yet to finish assembling any of the much better ones I got in my tree "kit".

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
French and Indian stuff
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 04:14:02 PM »
Smashing. Very atmospheric. That long grass is great, too.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Le matou rouge

• Mad Scientist
French and Indian stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 04:28:17 PM »
Thank you very much for your pics : I think it's the first time we can see these Blue Moon figures.
Your painting is very clean and the Grenadiers mitres looks really great, but I'm not too fond about the color choices. The French blue is OK, maybe too light, but where do you find this english red : it looks like cherry (but maybe it's the light...)
And at least, of course, they're painted, so you're right  :wink: as my FIW project always waited in box and I'm unable to paint half as good as you !

meow,
Matt
We are the Village Green Preservation Society
We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
Ray Davies

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
French and Indian stuff
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 05:15:35 PM »
I think the color may be a bit off on the lighting. The French are indeed a bit lighter than they should be, but the Brits are a nice brick red in person. I use a combo of Vallejo burnt cadmium red and cavalry brown with some flat red highlighting. Officers get some crimson and scarlet thrown over top since they usually bought their own kit.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
French and Indian stuff
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 06:36:05 PM »
The paint jobs are very nice and make for great tabletop work.  The color seems good and the lines are nice and clean.  The photo work isn't the best but I'm not one to talk.

I would like to take this moment to point something out about Blue Moon's stuff and their efforts to get their products out to the public.

Is it just me, or do these look like totally different figs than what you would see on their website?  Something about the way in whihc Blue Moon chooses to paint and/or photograph and then post their figs always seems to leave them lacking when compared to when you see them in the raw or presented elseswhere.  I would not have bought these figs based on what I saw on their site, but would certainly drop the bucks on them now.

Sorry for the hijack, but this seemed a good place to bring this up while everyone was looking at the figs.

Once again, wonderful work Aaron you truely bring out the good in these minis.

Thanks,
-Eli

"I See Lead People"

Visit I SEE LEAD PEOPLE!

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
French and Indian stuff
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 06:44:53 PM »
Thanks HC. It is funny you should say that as I'm on of their painters. As mentioned in another thread here I was starting to be discouraged by some of the comments people were making and wondered if it was my paint jobs or the photography. I'm certainly no master painter, but it would seem that I may have found the culprit...

I have to finish a Mexican-American War project for a friend and then it's back to F&I for me. I need to paint 24 Eureka provincials and as many Eureka and Old Glory highlanders as I can manage for a big Grant's defeat game at Historicon. Actually if the game scheduling works out right they may also appear in a Bushy Run game as well as some smaller skirmish games in conjunction with my collection of Conquest stuff and the collections of some friends.

Oh, and the crappy photo shop paint background was my first attempt with some free software I had laying around. I may practice with it a bit, but I'll probably either paint a backdrop or buy one of the ones sold for model railroads. I'm honestly too lazy to spend the effort required to learn new software.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
French and Indian stuff
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 07:04:14 PM »
Well, as my post points out, I'm not sure why the pics on the site are lacking.  I would suspect that it is not the paint jobs but the presentation on the site.  They seem a little tall and lanky compared to your pics.

Offline flytime

• Librarian
    • http://soul-drinker.myblog.de/
French and Indian stuff
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 07:14:51 PM »
I like them. They look fine :) !

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
French and Indian stuff
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 07:40:42 PM »
Yay! Teddy bear fur...  :wink:

I agree, these figures look great. Really nice. Have you done any of the Indians yet? That's when I'll really be tempted, so supplement my Redoubt Woodlanders...

And I so completely agree about Blue Moon's ads. The painting in their ads here in the UK in WI CANNOT be by you, because your painting in the pix above is really top-notch. But in their ads, their figures are clumsily painted in a kind of garish, cartoony style with what looks like gloss paint. Really quite off-putting, and - as is now becoming apparent - doing a major disservice to what turn out to be really very nice figures.  :(

Sorry, I know I keep droning on about it - but: WHO DOES THE MARKETING FOR SOME OF THESE OUTFITS???!!

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
French and Indian stuff
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 08:00:15 PM »
I'd just like to add my agreement to both The Hooded Claw and Captain Blood, and say that this just reinforces what I've said for a while.

Some lovely figures, and your painting is great.  :)

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
French and Indian stuff
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 11:14:52 AM »
Thanks again. I haven't seen the WI ads, but OG UK usually use their own painters. I have painted the Indians. I have about six Redoubt figures and I think they would mix alright. They are coming out with another pack of Indians soon I believe. These will be multi-part to allow for some more variety.

I keep meaning to take a comparison photo with figures from BM, OG, Conquest, and Eureka to show the size difference. Maybe I'll remember tonight...

I have become a huge convert to teddy fur. I think the stuff I picked up is a little too brown for my liking, but it works for now. I want to grab some in a couple of lighter shades and maybe even experiment with dyeing some of it a (natural) green.