Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:17:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My scifi projects. (updated 30-01-2020)  (Read 32751 times)

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
Re: My scifi projects. (updated 29-June-18)
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2018, 12:01:37 PM »
Here are the last citizens of Sulfer Slag Oasis.

Butcher Bill and Auntie Jill are outcasts from their previous community for their slight mutations. Bill is actually the community butcher and his unusual demeanor and dangerous moniker hide a gentle and kind spirit (well, as gentle as one can be in the hive...).

Padre Pio and Clint are the founding members of the community. Some say that he is a religious leader of some forgotten sect who was sent to the hive to atone for some sin. Others say he is a deserter who saw too much of the horrors of war. Whatever he is, he is the undisputed leader of the community who is quick to defend the members of his little flock with tactics and skills that rival even the constabulary.

Here is a shot of the entire community.  I'm looking for more miniatures that may be a good fit to add to the collection. Any suggestions?

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
Re: My scifi projects. (updated 12-July-18)
« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2018, 12:04:42 AM »
Very nice. The miniature painting is great. And I love those terrain pieces.

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
Re: My scifi projects. (updated 12-July-18)
« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2018, 06:59:27 PM »
The terrain bug has bitten me again (and my semester is winding down so I have a bit of free time).

The start of the project...

Orky McOrkface wandering around the construction site to give a sense of scale (and to watch Netflix on my ipad).

Phase one is complete!  I hope to do a bit more this Saturday.

Close up of the four towers.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: My scifi projects. (updated 3-Dec-18)
« Reply #123 on: December 03, 2018, 07:49:35 PM »
Cool so far! More, please!!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #124 on: December 03, 2018, 08:32:46 PM »
Interesting ideas. Always nice to see what others make,
especially as I now am the proud owner of a copy of
Galactic Heroes. Will therefore be making some  scenery myself.

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2018, 01:49:13 PM »
Phase 2: Bridges/Walkways.

I found this new (to me) stuff called PVC rigid foam of PVC foam board at a local shop. It's 3mm thick and is easy to cut.  If anyone has any tips on working with this stuff (gluing, painting, etc.) please feel free to share your experiences.

Anyway, on with the show: PVC foam board, granny grating, and paper templates to start.

A lot of cutting later... 5 short bridges are starting to take shape and two long bridges are in the works.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Re: My scifi projects. (updated 6-Dec-18)
« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2018, 02:39:59 PM »
good start on the terrain
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline axiom

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Magpie and old lead
« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2018, 04:27:16 PM »
Those cooling towers / vents are very clever and look good too. Great way to get some dense terrain onto the table top.

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #128 on: December 18, 2018, 08:10:04 PM »
Doing a bit of painting before I put it all together since some areas that are visible will be hard to paint when assembled.

Some of the grating painted.

A long shot of everything painted so far.

Close up of some of the towers and dragons teeth.

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
Re: My scifi projects. (updated 18-Dec-18)
« Reply #129 on: December 28, 2018, 02:56:28 PM »
I have a bit of a break with Christmas and I feel I'm making good progress on this little project.

Here is a WIP shot of the bridges (with some of my wife's Christmas baking in the background).

There will be two long bridges and 4 shorter ones.

Christmas prezzies from the wife and kiddos: Tox Troopers, extra weapons, and heads from Anvil Industries and Tardis, not-weeping angels, and brain in a jar from Reaper.

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
Re: My scifi projects. (updated 28-Dec-18)
« Reply #130 on: December 30, 2018, 04:05:09 PM »
After working furiously over the Christmas break I have most of my towers and bridges done.  I've added a few posters to give it a bit of color and a "lived in" look. I still need a few tower platforms that are large enough to have a small skirmish on and a better stairway.

Orky McOrkface investigating an unusual statue on the bridge. A few imperial edicts can be seen on the bridge along with everyone's favorite beverage of the apocalypse, Nuka-Cola.

A bit of a lower angle.

Close up of the bottom of one of the towers.

The magnets seem to hold the bridges in well and they are fairly sturdy. I'm not quite sure what is the best way and store these new terrain pieces... I guess I should have thought of that ahead of time lol.

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
Re: My scifi projects. (updated 30-Dec-18)
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2019, 02:29:22 PM »
I had a few GW products that didn't fit well into my homemade paint station so I bought a few 15ml bottles off of Amazon and did some transferring. The GW washes transferred with no problem. Some of the paints took a bit of coaxing but now I'm enjoying a bit more control when adding paint to the wet pallet.

Anyone else do this?  Do you have any tips and tricks? More importantly, why doesn't GW use dropper bottles??

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
Re: My scifi projects. (updated 28-Jan-19)
« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2019, 12:27:10 PM »
Had a chance for three games this past weekend! One was a larger battle that was called due to time  :'( the other two were quick arena deathmatches.

An important processing plant has been taken over by a horde of filthy alien bugs and the heroic troopers must liberate for mom, apple pie, etc. etc. It is Space Rangers and Forge Fathers vs Nids. My young padawans all wanting to play against me. The game mat is from the Battle Systems Kickstarter and the terrain is a mix of paper terrain and homemade stuff.

The valiant humans and dwarfs are ready for battle and storm through one side of the outpost.

The evil, vile, no-good, stinkin' alien bugs cower behind cover at the other end of the station.

Turn 1
The allies win the die roll and go first. The Dwarfs ignore the advice of the human commanders and rush to the middle of the factory in an effort to get to the high ground. This proves fatal as the stinkin' nids with their bug guns take down the heroic Forge Father leader who elected not to take cover. First blood is drawn! In this image you can see said Dwarf leader moments before he is shot.

On the Stinkin' bugs turn the allies discover just how fast these bugs are! A ripper swarm attempts to cut the dwarfs off while the bugs with guns close in. On the other side of the factory mutated genestealers rush the humans!

Turn 2
Again the allies gain the initiative and move first. Supprised at the ferocity of the bug attack the Space Rangers take to the air and use their jump packs to put some distance between them and the icky bugs! The Forge Fathers move on to the gantry and open fire taking out a few of the rippers to avenge their slain leader.

Unfortunately, the Space Rangers did not realize that some bugs can climb almost as quickly as they can run on level ground! The Space Rangers on the west gantry find themselves in hand to hand combat with the four-armed freaks! One Space Ranger falls but the rest absorb the flurry of blows upon their armor. As if this were not enough, three members of the bug warrior cast rush in to join the fray!

Turn 3
The Space Rangers and Forge Fathers lay down a barrage of withering fire that kills most of the rippers, and one of the warrior bugs and wounds another warrior. A Space Ranger sergeant and trooper are engaged in hand to hand combat with the other warrior bug and the troopers on the west tower fail to kill any of their assailants.

At this point, the game was called due to dinner being served at the facility... But everyone had fun and that was the goal.

I liked using the game mat, it has 1" squares that made it easy for the new players to move, fire and plan their strategy. I would like to get a larger mat, perhaps 4'x3' mat. I've seen several online, but I can't quite seem to find exactly what I want.

Something that's station or hive like that has 1" grid marks.  Does anyone know of anything like that?

Online hubbabubba

• Mastermind
Re: My scifi projects. (updated 5-Feb-19) BatRep 1
« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2019, 06:02:14 PM »
Nice looking game

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
Re: My scifi projects. (updated 5-Feb-19) BatRep 1
« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2019, 06:05:50 PM »
What's interesting is that your homemade terrain made out of grating and yogurt containers looks just as good as most of the 'professional' resin stuff out there.  Very cool.