Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:55:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My scifi projects. (updated 30-01-2020)  (Read 32750 times)

Offline DowVooVoo

• Mad Scientist
Re: My current (and possibly past) projects.
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 02:15:55 PM »
very nice love the conversion work

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 03:57:32 PM »
Here is my next project.  Still along the lines of salvage crew types.

I found these guys in a bit box

Here they are after they encountered the pliers of DOOM

I have some serious cutting, chopping, gluing and a wee bit of Green Stuffing to do yet.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 05:40:04 PM »
Seriously nice stuff man, i love the guys with the visors they have an old school look! also the space rangers are fantastic!

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 12:15:13 AM »
Interesting.  I just started some not-Blood Angels made from those space ranger models.  I already bulked out my space wolves with them.  Yours look fantastic.
This is my boomstick!

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 01:48:16 PM »
Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement!  It makes me want to work even harder!

Perhaps some of you can help me with a question I have with the space rangers.   The ones I purchased long ago are made of the stuff that model glue works on and are a pinkish bubblegum color.  Some new ones I purchased from EM4 are a silver type plastic.  I've read in some forums that model glue doesn't work on them.  Is this true?  What has your experience been?  Is super glue the best alternative?

Thanks in advance.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 03:10:55 PM »
i think super glue is the way to go with the space rangers, the warzone plastics are the same

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 03:19:07 AM »
Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement!  It makes me want to work even harder!

Perhaps some of you can help me with a question I have with the space rangers.   The ones I purchased long ago are made of the stuff that model glue works on and are a pinkish bubblegum color.  Some new ones I purchased from EM4 are a silver type plastic.  I've read in some forums that model glue doesn't work on them.  Is this true?  What has your experience been?  Is super glue the best alternative?

Thanks in advance.

I have a bunch of the silver ones.  I use standard cyanoacrylate super glue for them.  It works great; but I use CA for all my models.

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 01:37:33 PM »
The reassembly has begun!

Obligatory group shot.

One of the vets lost a leg and had it replaced with bionic / robotic one.

The premise behind these guys is that they find a derelict space craft and these guys go in first with their armored space suits and make sure there are no evil life forms waiting to eat the salvage crew that will come in after these guys make their sweep.  Most of the guys will carry shot guns to discourage any left over life forms from eating the salvage crew.

The guys I'm modeling are a tough crew, but they are a (mostly) legitimate operation.  If they find a live crew member from the ship that they are salvaging, they loose their salvage rights but most Mega Corps and Insurance companies will pay big bucks to have a ship and crew returned.  Not to mention the boss of the salvage team likes seeing his name in the press...

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 05:59:45 PM »
I've got a business trip coming up to the south of Spain.  But I wanted to post a pic of some of my favorite minis that I've painted.

Here is a squad of my Grymn Mercs from Hasslefree Miniatures.  I think this is one of the best paint jobs I've ever done.... before I needed glasses.

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 05:59:12 PM »
Here is the latest WIP shot of the salvage crew.

I have enough torsos to make about 4 more, but I only have enough cadian arms to maybe make one, possibly two more.  The shotguns are Marine Scouts.  The Flamer on the Far Left is an old flamer with the nozzle of a new one I found in a bits box.  I was pleased with the way it turned out.  I'll have a cable go from the bottom to the backpack to power it.

The drone is one bough from some strange blue/grey aliens.  They have modified it by adding a new sensor suite, some heavy fire power and some more light to light up those dark abandoned space ships.

The twin bolters are a bit bulky looking, and I'm not quite satisfied with the way it looks.  I might stick two pulse carbines together and mount them on that one side.

Any thoughts?

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
Re: My current (and some past) projects. Updated 3/9/13
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 04:28:08 PM »
I've added the back packs to the salvage team and I moved them to some Fenris Bases I forgot I had.

On the drone, I removed the twin bolter and added twin pulse carbines.

Another shot showing the drones "tail hook".

Another little project I've been tossing around in my mind.  A soon to be Shield Generator

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 11:18:32 AM »
I haven't had a lot of time to work on the salvage crew.  Work has been keeping me pretty busy.

Here is a quick tutorial on some quick and easy rubble piles that I made before my move to Europe.

I took some old sprue and chopped it up along with some other bits and bobs I had laying around.  I mixed it together with some spackling compound, a bit of white glue and some fine sand.  I took the mixture and stuck it on an old gift card.

It looked like this after sticking it on the gift cards.

Painted it all back

Dry brushed it grey and painted the few metal parts.  Added some flock and tall grass and called it done.

Thanks for looking.  C&C always welcome.

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 11:34:38 AM »
The weapon swap on the drone was a good idea- it does look far more balanced now.
sanity is for cowards

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 03:19:20 PM »
A 730 point No Limits skirmish with Reavers vs Galactic Marines.

An outpost on a back water world misses a check in.  Calls to the outpost are not returned.  A squad of Galactic Marines are sent to investigate.   Their orders are simple.  Asses the situation,  rescue survivors, retrieve the outpost data base, and eliminate any threats.

Turn 1
The Reavers start in the back of the outpost.

The Marines start just outside the main door.

The Marines loose the initiative roll and move first.  They proceed with caution down the main cargo bay into the heart of the outpost.

The Reavers move not-so-cautiously down the port and starboard corridors attempting to flank the Marines!

Turn 2
The Veteran Marine Sargent takes up position outside one closed door, the Marine Commander takes the other door.  The rest of the Marines, take position to fire in case the Reavers get through.

The Reavers continue their movement to the doors.  One group of Reavers splits off and goes through the Cryo-bays to attempt to get behind the Marines, while others cover the door as still more attempt to get into a firing position on balcony.

Turn 3
Every time a Reaver steps up to the door he is cut down by the Sargent or the Commander.  The Sargent takes out two Reavers while the Commander takes out three.  The remaining Reavers make it to the balcony and spray the room below with automatic fire.  Several Marines are hit, but their armor saves them.  The commander is wounded.

Turn 4
Several of the marines open fire on the Reavers in the balcony, killing one.  Two more marines attempt to use their jump packs to get into Hand to hand combat, but fail their landing rolls and fall flat on their tail (in front of the Enemy AND their commander!)

Turn 5
The Marines on the balcony get up and eliminate the remaining Reaver on the balcony, who, by the way, missed them even when they were on the ground in front of him.  He must have been laughing at their fall.

The Marine commander enters the room and defeats the last of the Reavers that were there.

Meanwhile the Marine Sargent it overwhelmed at last and killed by the Reavers, just as the small group of Reavers breaks in from behind them from the Cryo bay!

Turn 6
In the chaos that ensues the Reavers slay another marine, but the Marines take their revenge and kill all but four Reavers!  At the end of the turn the Marine commander has cut through the Cryo bay and has come up behind the remaining Reavers.

Turn 7
Two of the Reavers turn and engage the Marine Commander in close combat.  Missing his armor rolls and saves, he takes two more wounds and is down! (House Rule:  He'll be back, he's just critically wounded and out of the fight.)  In their fury and lust for revenge the Marines quickly eliminate the remaining Reavers.

Ending
The Marines Medevaced their wounded, retrieved the data and eliminated all the Reavers.  No survivors were found.
Reavers killed: 20
Marines killed: 3

Closing thoughts:
The marines toughness and armor was hard for the Reavers to beat.  The Reavers strength is the teamwork skill that grants them +1 to close combat and strength for each unit with this skill in close combat with the same enemy unit.  This was effectively canceled due to bottling them up in close quarters.  It would have been better to let the Marines get into a larger room where their numbers could have turned the tide of battle.

Even though I lost (badly) it was a really fun game.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 07:49:01 AM »
Love your work! And a very nice report  :)