Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:06:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone got Dixons Dahomey range?  (Read 8755 times)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Anyone got Dixons Dahomey range?
« on: April 02, 2008, 12:08:10 PM »
I was having a look at these Foreign Legion types as a possible mercenary/colonial force for my ever expanding Lost World stuff, and wanted to get some opinions before I committed:

http://dixonminiatures.co.uk/dixoncatalogue.asp?maintype=19

They are sculpted by Mike Owen (Artizan?) and look pretty good, especially for the price, but I would be interested to know if they fit with newer Artizan, Foundry and Copplestone minis. I know that other Dixon ranges tend to be somewhat "unique", shall we say... :roll:

Please tell me they are rubbish, cos I promised myself I wasn't going to buy any more until I'd painted what I've got already.  :cry:

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 12:12:29 PM »
Interesting looking range, but, and this is my pet pieve, I am highly critical of online shops without images of hteir goods. Booo!

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 12:16:39 PM »
I am pretty sure although not certain that they are more in keeping with Dixon anatomy than the others you mentioned.

Been tempted to try them myself on numerous occasions but as I have now consigned my Dixons samurai to the attic as they dont really work with the newer TAG ones I have resisted for this reason.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 12:33:09 PM »
Hammers, I feel the same way. What are they hiding?  :lol:

The pics they do show look taller and slimmer than "regular" Dixon minis, so I thought they might work. The natives they show look pretty good in that respect.

I don't mind if they are a bit rough and unkempt looking, they are a for a "Lost Patrol" after all, but if they are significantly smaller than everyone else it might look a bit rubbish.

Thanks for your replies fellas.  :)

Offline pierrebi

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 01:47:10 PM »
I was told, maybe in theminiaturepage, they are the same size of foundry.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 02:08:32 PM »
Funnily enough JB as you were cornering the market in Foudnry, copplestone etc  :wink:  I picked these up last month with the bearers and some of the natives.

I have to say they are slightly smaller than foundry on some poses and it is more noticeable on other figures.

The French are ok, some are very nice whilst others are a bit err.. below par.

The natives are very limited in poses but a good pack is the chief and his entourage.

To me I would say Mike must have cut his teeth in colonial stuff on these, some of the tell tale poses etc are there but some are missing and latter figures have benefitted from them.

The range is very much incomplete and I was looking to suppplement them with Belgians in the future

Offline Le matou rouge

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 03:45:36 PM »
JB, Thanks for asking !

Quote from: "hammershield"
Interesting looking range, but, and this is my pet pieve, I am highly critical of online shops without images of hteir goods. Booo!

Me too ! I desperatly search pics on the web, but found nothing.
But I wanted them so much I bought them all !

It's been a year then now, but there're still in lead  :oops:

But now, at least, I have a camera so I tried to put them on the web : here's the link :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dahomeyproject/

Sorry for the crappy pics but they're my firsts.
I tried to present them by pack but I'm not very sure of the exact composition of the French ones.
Lowtardog is right : there are size variations between the packs, the highest being the French, except the tirailleurs, which are very nice but maybe the smallest of the range  :roll:
And both the tirailleurs and the Dahomey men and women marching are one same mini x4 in each pack.

All in all, I love them a lot (but maybe because they are my first "real" historicals minis). Now, if only I could paint them for the League :cry:

hope that helps...

meow,
Matt

PS : I'll try to post a comparative pic as soon as I can.
We are the Village Green Preservation Society
We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
Ray Davies

Offline pierrebi

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 04:54:31 PM »

are this from LF1 and LF2?

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 05:20:49 PM »
Le Matou Rouge, that is extremely helpful, thank you!  :)

I wasn't after the whole range, but those pics have helped me decide that the ones I did want are worth getting.

Dammit, that backfired a bit.

@ Lowtardog: I thought they were probably early sculpts by Mike, and you're right, you can see his favourite poses taking shape there, especially the "big hello" pose he likes for officers and NCOs.

There's definitely enough in there to form a small party of Lost Legion explorers though. Now I have to sneak them past the missus.

I'll look forward to comparing them with yours, assuming I get round to painting them.

Offline Le matou rouge

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 05:48:03 PM »
Quote from: "pierrebi"

are this from LF1 and LF2?

I think so, except the central one which is evidently the buggler (look at his left hand)  :wink:

Quote from: "JollyBob"

but those pics have helped me decide that the ones I did want are worth getting.

It was the goal, "Because they're worth it too!"  :oops:

meow,
Matt

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 07:57:03 PM »
Well, I just ordered the first four packs of Frenchies, some bearers, pack mules and the Dahomey king pack.

Hopefully they'll be in next month's paint log.

Lowtardog, did yours arrive quickly? I just noticed it says to allow up to ten days for the order to be processed, never mind shipping times.  :?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 09:27:52 PM »
Quote from: "Le matou rouge"
JB, Thanks for asking !

Quote from: "hammershield"

Me too ! I desperatly search pics on the web, but found nothing.
But I wanted them so much I bought them all !

It's been a year then now, but there're still in lead  :oops:

But now, at least, I have a camera so I tried to put them on the web : here's the link :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dahomeyproject/

Sorry for the crappy pics but they're my firsts.
I tried to present them by pack but I'm not very sure of the exact composition of the French ones.
Lowtardog is right : there are size variations between the packs, the highest being the French, except the tirailleurs, which are very nice but maybe the smallest of the range  :roll:
And both the tirailleurs and the Dahomey men and women marching are one same mini x4 in each pack.

All in all, I love them a lot (but maybe because they are my first "real" historicals minis). Now, if only I could paint them for the League :cry:

hope that helps...

meow,
Matt

PS : I'll try to post a comparative pic as soon as I can.

You know, they lkook bloody good seeing them in the naked lead like that. I may have to purchase them one day when I get into the whole DA scene.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 10:25:12 PM »
Quote from: "JollyBob"
Well, I just ordered the first four packs of Frenchies, some bearers, pack mules and the Dahomey king pack.

Hopefully they'll be in next month's paint log.

Lowtardog, did yours arrive quickly? I just noticed it says to allow up to ten days for the order to be processed, never mind shipping times.  :?

I am not sure, I dont think they were the quickest if memory serves a couple of weeks or there about

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 10:28:41 PM »
If honest I would avoid the Tirailleurs  as they are arabic and more suited for Algeria etc than African Dahomey. I gave them to a mate doing FFL in blue uniform. Also they have only 1 pose in each pack which narked me a bit. This is also true of the Dahomy men marching.

The bearers are a little crude and IMHO opinion not very african features.

I am saving the ones I painted for the League so you may see them soon :D

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 08:49:29 AM »
Cool! Cheers for that.

I wasn't that fussed about the Tirailleurs anyway, and haven't ordered them, so I can avoid disappointment that way.

A couple of weeks delivery time is ok I guess, it'll give me time to clear the decks of some other stuff before they arrive.

Now I just have to decide whether to paint them historically accurate, or as a ragtag mercenary force. Oh, wait.... :wink: