Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:53:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686552
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone got Dixons Dahomey range?  (Read 8708 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Anyone got Dixons Dahomey range?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 08:59:23 AM »
Sir Jolly Bob KLM.

Don't expect the figures to arrive quickly. I know Trevor Dixon quite well and have ordered many things from him in the past. They will take up to 28 days to arrive, so sit tight and be prepared to be patient.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 09:09:01 AM »
Yeah, no worries. I know they have a relatively small staff and are out at shows a lot at the moment too. No rush, I just wondwered when I could expect to fit them into my plan of (lost) world domination.

Offline Motorway

• Schoolboy
    • Dutch disaster year 1672
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 06:30:11 PM »
If have all the FFL and some of the other Dahomey mini's. Initially I bought them to convert them to Dutch KNIL, but as they were most white beardy folk (and the KNIL were not) they are still in my closet waiting to be painted. Quality is excellent, I got mine from spirit games BTW.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 10:23:44 AM »
That's good to know about the quality Motorway, thanks.

I didn't know you could get them from Spirit Games, I'll ahve to have a good look round on their website, see what else they have to offer.  :)

Offline Mors

• Scientist
    • Tales from thr Green Dragom
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 11:32:12 PM »
Ive ordered these last week, for collection at Salute. Dont mind the figures being a bit variable from Foundry/Copplestone in size, but its a shame if the tirailleurs are not acccurate. Was toying with the idea of getting the old glory porters set too, does anyone know how they scale up with Foundry?

While Im at it, how do Askari measure to these ranges too?

Thnks

Offline Mors

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 11:32:36 PM »
Ive ordered these last week, for collection at Salute. Dont mind the figures being a bit variable from Foundry/Copplestone in size, but its a shame if the tirailleurs are not acccurate. Was toying with the idea of getting the old glory porters set too, does anyone know how they scale up with Foundry?

Thnks

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 11:40:30 PM »
Quote from: "Mors"

Thnks

There is a small picture on the OG US site but always worth looking at them in the flesh with OG. They look OK though from the picture

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 07:18:45 AM »
I have heard that the porters set is the worst one of the range for sculpting quality. I haven't seen them in the lead, but I would be careful about pre ordering that pack. Check them out first :?

Offline Mors

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2008, 09:25:46 AM »
Thanks for that Malamute, I was considering ordering them first, now I will check them  if they bring that pack to salute, Ive already got the Foundry ones and I think Reviresco do some too, although the pics on there site dont look great, although that may be the paint jobs.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2008, 10:43:16 AM »
Arrived this morning! Woot!

A bunch of very nice figures indeed, they have exactly the right ragged-bothered explorer look that I wanted, tons of character.  :love:

Very obviously Mike Owen sculpts, and full of his usual nice touches, even the rank and rile troops are really characterful, but the Dahomey king pack is by far the best. The European trader in that pack looks like Wolverine's dad!  :lol:

Seriously, these get a very good recommendation from me, and for the ridiculously low price of them, you can't really complain about having to wait an extra week or so for them to arrive.

Malamute, if you see Trevor Dixon in the near future, please pass on my thanks and regards as a very satisfied customer. Top notch.

Offline Le matou rouge

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2008, 11:45:20 AM »
I told you "they're worth it too" !  :wink:

meow,
Matt
We are the Village Green Preservation Society
We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
Ray Davies

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2008, 12:32:02 PM »
That you did. Many thanks.  :)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2008, 12:34:11 PM »
How you goiung to paint them Jolly Bob as I have the same Frenchies? but havent touched them yet

And see told you about the kings pack, my favourite too, I like Todger the little bell boy best :D

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2008, 12:46:58 PM »
Quote from: "Lowtardog"
I like Todger the little bell boy best :D

He's ace isn't he?

But I can't work out if he's the King since he has the most gold braid, or if the guy in the robe is the King because he's more stately of bearing. :?:

Still, I guess if you're the hereditary despot of a gold and ivory rich African counrtry, you can choose the "pants optional" look if you really want to.

I was planning on going something similar to the pic on the Dixon page for a colour scheme, white pants and light brown/kahaki tunics, for a unified mercenary look, while staying away from the recognisable colours of a European power. Certainly nothing too historically accurate, as I can't be bothered researching it.

Maybe some of the officers or NCOs could have something that denotes their earlier service record though. From before they were dishonourably discharged, of course.  :wink:

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2008, 01:17:05 PM »
Sounds a good plan, I was thinking along the same lines.

Yes I think it is the guy with the robe wrapped around him very stately, it would be fun though if it was little Todger though :D