Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:01:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689479
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: White Russian Army  (Read 3514 times)

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
White Russian Army
« on: January 26, 2013, 09:56:18 PM »
Here are my White Russians that can also be used as regular Russians for WWI http://wyndehurstproductions.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Ataman

• Librarian
Re: White Russian Army
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 01:59:54 AM »
Nice army! I'm using Brigade as well for part of my force's infantry, though I've stayed away from their machine guns and artillery. The lack of shoulderboards makes them more suited for Kerensky-era or Bolshevik troops.

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 06:29:26 PM »
 true. I also feel the artillery is a tad on the small side

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 05:53:42 AM »
Nice army! I'm using Brigade as well for part of my force's infantry, though I've stayed away from their machine guns and artillery. The lack of shoulderboards makes them more suited for Kerensky-era or Bolshevik troops.

The regular Russian troops from Brigade Games do have shoulderboards, though. I've got nearly 80 of 'em in my current White Russian forces, and just ordered another couple dozen to finish up my basic White forces.

The Brigade MG is a nice model, more finely molded than the Copplestone version, although I think the crew of that are actually lacking shoulderboards. Haven't bought the field gun yet.

The Brigade Russian Command figures (two packs) are among my favourite figures in my RCW collection. They ooze character, lots of dissipated or desperate officers to lead your Whites to death, glory or both. I still haven't figured out an in-game use for the Russian priest, but they're great figures.

Must spend some time next month getting decent closeups of my RCW forces, especially the Brigade ones.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 12:14:22 PM »
In the Russian army in each regiment was regimental priest. Therefore, you can include it in the regiment of the Imperial Army. During the Civil War, the priests in the regiment are much less common.

Shoulder boards on the shoulders easy to make from green stuff.

Offline Ataman

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 12:56:47 PM »
The regular Russian troops from Brigade Games do have shoulderboards, though. I've got nearly 80 of 'em in my current White Russian forces, and just ordered another couple dozen to finish up my basic White forces.

The Brigade MG is a nice model, more finely molded than the Copplestone version, although I think the crew of that are actually lacking shoulderboards. Haven't bought the field gun yet.

The Brigade Russian Command figures (two packs) are among my favourite figures in my RCW collection. They ooze character, lots of dissipated or desperate officers to lead your Whites to death, glory or both. I still haven't figured out an in-game use for the Russian priest, but they're great figures.

Must spend some time next month getting decent closeups of my RCW forces, especially the Brigade ones.

Indeed I was referring only to the machine gunners and the artillery crew for the lack of shoulderboards issue. I have bought several of Brigade's infantry and command models and I can also attest that they're great figures.

As for the priest, I intend to have him use the 'Good Book' card from Through the Mud and Blood, so that he can inspire the troops to glory for Holy Rus!

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 03:17:44 PM »
what rules set do you all use? I prefer the Contemptible Little Armies Back of Beyond. There is no role for the priest but you might be able to get away with using him to rally troops like a commander can if your opponent would agree.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 06:26:02 AM »
Like Ataman, we use Through the Mud and the Blood from TooFatLardies. I've got Triumph of the Will, also from TFL, but haven't run it yet. I want to try it sometime soon, after the big RCW game I'm running this weekend.

I'd also like to sit down and figure out Red Actions from Perfect Captain; I've heard the rules are good (and a number of the RCW regulars here on LAF swear by them) but the layout and writing has so far stymied my attempts to casually figure it out.

Mud & Blood is open enough you can - and are encouraged - to add any sort of scenario-specific rule you and your opponents agree on.

And to get back to the original question in this thread, Ataman is correct, the gun crews from Brigade do lack shoulderboards for some reason. I'm ignoring that for now, and will probably just greenstuff shoulderboards into place eventually, as cuprum points out.

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 04:26:25 AM »
I'd also like to sit down and figure out Red Actions from Perfect Captain; I've heard the rules are good (and a number of the RCW regulars here on LAF swear by them) but the layout and writing has so far stymied my attempts to casually figure it out.

I rewrote them more in the style of "normal"rules. I can send a copy if you want.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 06:27:38 AM »
I rewrote them more in the style of "normal"rules. I can send a copy if you want.

Yes please! wirelizard at gmail dot com

One of the things I like about Red Actions is how well the folks behind them have captured some of the graphic style of the era; the troop/unit cards especially are awesome. The writing, however...

Offline Ataman

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 12:59:15 PM »

I'm also interested in taking a look at them. My email is adi_piecyk at hotmail dot com

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 04:35:26 AM »
No good deed goes unpunished, Mark.

I'd like one too, please.

BowmanstringerATgmailDOTcom

Thanks.
"This I have known ever since I stretched out my fingers to the abomination within that great gilded frame; stretched out my fingers and touched a cold and unyielding surface of polished glass." 

H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"