Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:24:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ludus Gladiatorius in a tin - Birthday!  (Read 21760 times)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Re: Ludus Gladiatorius in a tin - Started!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 05:58:21 PM »
Looking good! What are the hexes made from? MDF? Plywood?

I'd also be very interested in hearing how the rules turn out (having just been beaten again on WH's Gladiator on ebay). As for the starting hexes, how about blood spatters in the appropriate number painted on?

The hexes are ply. From a quick scan of the rules they look fast, simple but also interesting. Each Gladiator has a limited number of special moves, and once they're gone it's basic combat, but the player can choose how they're played. I'm looking forward to playing them, esp. as I prefer simpler rules anyway.

That's a very good idea for the starting hexes and one I might have tried, but instead I've got Fenris etching the numbers on the next batch of hexes for me. I will have to replace the centre hex but it's only pva so no great difficulty there. 

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 06:07:15 PM »
Thanks for the 'first impressions' review, sounds like they might be perfect for my Latin class. Actually, I wonder if I can blag it that school buys the game for me as a resource for the subject?  lol

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 01:42:24 PM »
Good idea Rab.

I managed to get more done on this starting with the Gladiators themselves.
I fixed them to the bases and filled in the gaps with liquid green stuff.

Then textured and painted the bases.

Then fixed the rest of the hexes into the bottom of the tin, and for the edges trimmed them down to fit and being ply this was easier than if they were MDF. Then they're textured and undercoated them. I've left the numbered ones off because they have a bit more work to do on them and I'd not be able to spray these if they were in place.

It was attaching the hexes that made me notice how flexible a biscuit tin really is, and so I've cut a piece of foamex to strengthen it and glued it to the bottom. On reflection it may have made more sense to make this in a stronger box rather than a tin... hindsight is a wonderful thing.  ::)

Next up the numbered hexes, which for a modest fee I managed to get laser etched as part of the two sets I bought from Fenris Games.

Those were then put into place and some more PVA glue mixed with paint added to the gaps between the tiles.

Made a start on the walls, for which I'm using cork.

This is about as far as I can glue before I've worked on the entrance tunnel arches for either end.

I have been thinking about decorating the outside of the tin, but I'm not so sure, mainly because any paint work is likely to get scratched, not least from the lid going on, coming off, etc...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:11:47 AM by 6milPhil »

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ludus Gladiatorius in a tin - Update 18th Feb
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 01:45:09 PM »
Looking really good, very inspiring work to any willing Ludus owner! :)

How about decorating the outside parts with Roman mural paintings... just print on sturdy enough paper, glue and give a coat or two varnishes?

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 07:26:21 AM »
What a nice idea! Not a fan of the actual game, but that looks pretty cool.

Regarding decoration: It's been supposed that the inner walls of Roman arenas featured quite elaborate paintings (if you can afford such a building, why not make it pretty). For those I would use mosaics like this (site in German, but you get the idea).

The outer walls in turn could be decorated with graffiti/dipinti (google terms). There's a lot to choose from, just a bit of inspiration:

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 11:18:34 AM »
This is a damned cool project...and something I could see the oft-dismayed MDF companies doing quite well, and easily.  A stackable gladiator arena/carriage box with etched interior and floor details and stuff.  I love the cookie-tin idea though.  I need to my buddy up to speed on his damned Ludus...(storms off)
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 11:36:24 AM »
ahaha, games in the boxes are something always great! Will follow this project till the end!

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 10:46:47 AM »
Last week was half term so no progress because we had our grandson, aka Captain Stinky, around a lot. But this week I managed to make the gates for either end of the arena.

To start I got hold of this rather neat portcullis set from Fenris games cut from plywood with a laser beam. I'm only going to use the door piece, but I was impressed with the detail.

Next I cut a former from plasticard, glued the portcullis gate in place and then cut and laid the milliput stone work. Although not the best model I've made I'm happy with it for what it is.

Followed by a dip in rubber to make a mould and cast a pair of them. I've worked on them both with a scalpel so they're not identical.

Next step is to paint them.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: Ludus Gladiatorius in a tin - Update 2nd March
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 11:12:17 AM »
looks promising! and LOL @ the laser beam lol

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 12:01:16 AM »
Nice little project. There's something rather attractive about a simple game on a very limited playing surface. Look forward to seeing the end result.

Offline Kugelfang

• Bookworm
    • Petite Guerre
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 01:05:59 PM »
This is cool. I wonder if you put strong magnets on the gladiator bases if they'd be strong enough to keep the figures from shifting about during transport? That way, a game could be kept intact and picked up at a different location. Just a thought.

I'd need to decorate the outside, too. Just seems inappropriate to leave it alone after putting so much effort into the inside. Making it look like a wall with gladitorial graffiti is a cool idea. I look forward to seeing the completed project.

--jeff
http://www.petiteguerre.blogspot.com

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."
    -- 'The Go-Between', Leslie P. Hartley (1895-1972)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Re: Ludus Gladiatorius in a tin - Update 3rd March
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2013, 02:02:50 PM »
Well decorating the exterior is troublesome as there's some flexibility to it. For the interior I've got around it by using cork for the walls, and reenforcing the base so the ply hexes don't work lose. For the magnetism I think had I wanted that I'd have gone for self adhesive steel hexes to ensure it, but as is I'll be putting the Ludus Gladiatorius box inside with the figures, dice, rule, etc, so it will work.

Managed to work a bit more on it over the weekend. Got the cork walls on, and for a while thought the colour might work as is, but came to the conclusion it wasn't a good as it might look.

Then got the first coat of paint on, leaving where the gates will go blank.

And got the base coats of paint on the gates themselves.

I'm now considering putting some dents and bashes in the walls as they look a little too tidy.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 02:30:01 PM »
Getting better and better! Great idea, Phil, can't wait to see the further progress on this lovely project.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2013, 09:16:48 PM »
this is great, need to steal this immediately...

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 08:08:06 AM »
Still a super cool project!  Keep up the great work!