Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:15:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685055
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Saxon Church (Dark Ages) -- COMPLETE! Interior pics, page 3  (Read 17056 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Saxon Church (Dark Ages) -- COMPLETE! Interior pics, page 3
« on: February 10, 2013, 04:14:35 PM »
Hi,

I'm getting set up to run a Dark Ages campaign using "Song of Blades and Heroes" rules. The players will be Viking, Scot, Pict, Angle or Briton warlords. I decided I needed some scenario objectives for them to fight over. First up is a 8th-9th century Saxon church. I figured I'd post some WIP shots before I get too much further along.

I used leftover Hirst Arts plaster "bricks" that a friend had given me to build a Pictish broch, years ago. It was kind of like a jigsaw puzzle, laying them out on my desk first to figure out how they'll all go together. But they make so many sizes, and I'm sure are intentionally proportioned to make it easier to fit together.

Here's a top-down view, showing the raised altar platform inside. There are 3 joined together sections to this building -- the long rectangular nave, a rounded chancery, and the small squarish portico entrance. I'm thinking of taking coarse gravel and making the floor a "crushed stone" type of effect. Not sure if that is historical or not, but it should look nice and be relatively easy to do.

The next photo shows the model with the three roofs in place. They are made to lift off for gaming, of course. These were completely scratch-built, using a styrene base, foam core eaves, and cardboard roof. Next up will be to put cardboard shingles on the roof. You can see the decoration I've added for the eaves. The coarse gravel and Hirst Arts bricks combine to give a mixed building material look. The angel will be painted stone, of course, and comes from the local craft store. I picked a bag of them up about a decade ago and am finally using a couple of them!

And one final view showing the portico entrance, with more simple decoration over the door. Those plaster bricks are heavy, so I based the whole thing on a soft wood plaque from the local craft store. I am liking how it is coming along, and will continue posting pics along the way, if anyone's interested...

Thanks!
Mike Demana
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 03:51:13 PM by mikedemana »

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
Re: Saxon Church (Dark Ages)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 06:05:47 PM »
I Cant get the images to display, anyone else having trouble or just me? Want to make sure you did not attach bad links so we can all see your work.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 08:24:57 PM »
I can see them. I love the Hirst Art blocks. There is so much variety and the buildings really have a good 'feel' to them.

Offline Estarriol

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 09:31:25 PM »
damned nice. Looking forward to some AARs :)

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 12:49:06 AM »
Nice, reminds me of St Peter on the Wall

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapel_of_St_Peter-on-the-Wall

Well worth a visit if anyone is in the area, though most of the Roman fort has disappeared into the sea.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 03:54:15 AM »
Thanks everyone! It was actually modeled vaguely on Escomb church (except I made the chancery rounded).

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escomb_Church

I'll start the painting this week...

Mike Demana

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 04:00:08 AM »
Nice Mike, IIRC St Peter's had a round chancellery which was later demolished.  I have the guide book with the ground plan but unfortunately I couldn't find a copy online.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 08:04:31 AM »
Oh, this is going through a extremely nice way!

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 01:57:40 PM »
Intriguing! Looking forward to more.

@Sterling

Here you go, mate!

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=123312

If you scroll further done, you'll find it there. Good starting point for a model as well.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 09:37:42 PM »
That's the one - well done Remington!!

Offline Sixmilletoe

• Librarian
  • Shop smart...
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 01:05:34 PM »
This really looks the part! love it!

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 08:25:16 PM »
Lovely! Looks like it could last until now like the real thing. Unlike my wattle and daub creation...
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 09:18:20 PM »
It had been awhile since I used the Hirst Arts blocks. I put 2 coats of primer and two of watered down black paint to completely black coat it. There are still some plaster gray spots peeking through. Any tips on a less labor-intensive way to set it up for dry brushing the stone?

I was never one to use the min wax "dip" method, but now I'm wondering if it'd be quicker and do a more thorough job...

Mike Demana

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 05:47:39 PM »
More work in progress photos taken this morning.

The roofs are all constructed, but still need painted. I used the method suggested by my friend, Joe (from "An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields" website). However, I stupidly used very thick cardboard for the first roof I tried -- the small portico entrance. You can see the difference in the photos. After that, I went out and got some ordinary black cardstock and it worked much better. Joe was right, cutting and gluing the strips of tiles into place was tedious. It took me two hours to do the large roof alone. I can't wait to see what it looks like when the tiles are painted. Speaking of which, since my building is already a gray tone, any suggestion on tile colors that won't make it look monotone. I am assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that 8th-9th century Saxon churches would use slate tiles rather than clay ones. So, suggestions on colors would be greatly appreciated.

As a facing, I glued on a piece of textured bass wood to hide the edge of the corrugated cardboard roof. I could have done a better job measuring and trimming the pieces up so they match. Live and learn!

I've also added in a few detail elements, as you can see. First, I took some craft store crosses and glued them to the peak of the eaves of the large roof. They'll be dry-brushed to resemble stone when I get to the stage of painting the roofs. I also put a washer over the door of the portico, and then cut off the head and shoulders of a 1/72 scale plastic figure as relief carving of a saint or Mary.

As you can also see, the dry-brushing on the stone walls is mostly done, too. I will probably add some discoloration, random off-color stones and ivy on the walls, too. I have begun the windows, too, after making a serendipitous trip to the craft store. I found some cheap, clear plastic material that scores and snaps easily like styrene. I also found a black mesh knitting aid or something or other that will go well for the diamond window pattern. More on all that later, in the next installment.

All in all, I think it is coming together relatively nicely. Comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Seeya!
Mike Demana

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 08:48:06 AM »
Wow, this is really coming along nicely!! I love the details. I can see myself coming back to this project for inspiration :)