Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:51:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685057
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Saxon Church (Dark Ages) -- COMPLETE! Interior pics, page 3  (Read 17057 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: Saxon Church (Dark Ages)
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 04:23:53 AM »
Wow, this is really coming along nicely!! I love the details. I can see myself coming back to this project for inspiration :)

Thanks, Christian!

I painted the roof tiles, today. I decided to go with a dark, grayish-green slate. Turned out nicely. I wanted to make sure it wasn't just a straight up gray. I was afraid the model would look like a big gray blob, if I went with gray tiles.

I'll take some more WIP pics after I paint the windows. I was happy that they popped in relatively easily. I'm going to guess that my Testors dullcoate will "frost" the clear plastic windows, when I eventually get around to spray sealing the model. So, I plan on painting only the wooden frames of the windows. I may go back and do some bluish sky reflection on the windows afterwards (and if) they're frosted...not sure yet. Any advice would be appreciated...

Although is consuming a lot of time, I am happy with how it is all going together...

Mike Demana

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 06:55:42 PM »
More work in progress shots. The roofs are done, as well as the window frames. I may yet do something to the windows themselves -- I haven't decided.

I went for a dark, greenish-gray look to the slate. It may not come out so well in the photographs. I was hoping for a different tint than the gray stonework and think it came through fairly well. Yet, it still looks slate grayish.

I made a little stone platform for a fee standing bell tower. I want to put some sort of rope hanging down, but haven't finalized what material I will use.

I painted the window trim green to hopefully bring out the green in the slate tiles of the roof. I may yet go back and give it a dark wash to tone the green down.

Another close up of the relief detail on the eaves of the roof. The cross is from a craft store packet of cross charms -- as is the one on top of the bell tower. You might be able to see the greenish cast to the slate better on the half-octagon roof.

Comments and suggestions greatly appreciated, as always!

Mike Demana

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 07:09:52 PM »
Looking!

Almost science fictin from the view point of my year 500 Saxons.  lol
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 10:24:46 PM »
I think you've nailed it, mate. The cherub is a little advanced (it seems to be an impression of Raphael's work) but this is really a minor, minor thing. I think some greenery will set it off nicely :) Good job! I like the bell especially!

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 03:22:57 AM »
The cherub is a little advanced (it seems to be an impression of Raphael's work) but this is really a minor, minor thing. I think some greenery will set it off nicely

Agreed about the cherub, but after probably 10 years they've been sitting unused in my odds and ends box, I couldn't resist! Yep, after I finish some interior detail and the church door, I'll be flocking the base. Plan on strategic use of ivy and moss and other details to offset the gray.

Thanks for the comments!

Mike Demana

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 04:06:06 AM »
My pleasure, can't wait 'til the next update!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 07:02:23 AM »
When I saw the first set of pictures I was a little put off by the thicness of the blocks, but once you had added the roof I thought that it was coming along very nicely.

Now it is really starting to pop.
All the little details and the time taken on the roof have really paid off.
This is going to look absolutely wonderful when finished.
 :-* :-* :-*

As for roof tile colouration, I do not know what would have been historically accurate, but slate sounds about right to me. Just so long as it is not too uniform (which goes for the stonework as well) with a few different coulours used, it should look great.
I find a few light layers of drybrushing and washes of different tones is the easiest and most effective way of doing this.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 02:11:14 AM »
Thanks, Mason! Okay, so a busy couple weeks with school, plus throw in a convention in a nearby city. That all totals out to less progress than I'd hoped. Here's one WIP photo that shows a couple new features. One is the door. I made it by trimming cardstock to size. Then, I took soft wood "craft sticks" and trimmed them to size and tacky glued them to the cardstock. I snipped off a piece of a hanger for a picture frame to be the bronze reinforcement. The ring is a craft store gold jewelry link...certainly not gold, I'm sure! I bought a pack of them years ago and haven't even made a dent in the supply!

The other feature, of course, is the beginning of the flocking job. I started out by mixing white glue, water, and my favorite ground color -- an earthy reddish brown. Then I poured on medium ballast from Woodland Scenics. After it had dried, I went back and painted it with more white glue, earth red and water. I sprinkled on sand while it was wet. Then I lightly sprinkled on Woodland Scenics dark brown "turf" in patches. Next up will be the greenery, of course.

I do intend to go back and selectively dry brush tiles in other tones in a scattered, irregular pattern. I just haven't found the motivation to do it yet. I also have been working on the inside. I have two statues made from 1/72 scale plastic figs to resemble a Virgin Mary with child and a preaching saint. I also have two tombstones laid flat on top of the inside flagstones. A number of the medieval churches I've been to would bury people directly in the church, with people walking over top them as they go through the church. I don't know if Dark Age Saxons did it, but it should be a nice touch. I also put green felt on the window sills so they give a bit more color on the inside.

That reminds me....I don't think I've shown the inside in a photo for awhile! Oh well, next time...!

Mike Demana

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 02:15:22 AM »
Mike, this is great!!!

There's an inside??  :o :o

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 10:30:23 PM »
Yes, though it still has a couple major things to do. I plan on buying some gold & white ribbon material to make a curtain to separate the nave from the chancery. I'll use a brass rod and jewelry clasps to hang it, I think. I will also have an altar on the raised dias. Those are all for sure.

Some vague ideas include candleholders mounted in the walls of the nave. I'd love to have frescoes on the walls, too, but I want to think hard about how I'd pull that off without painstaking painting. Maybe I'll download a good image and print it out on paper. Then I can cut it into sections to go over the stones and kind of seal it on there. Not sure yet.

As for things that ARE done, the flocking is done and I am sealing it today. Nice couple days of weather to take it outside and spray it. Tomorrow, I should be able to upload pics of the outside completed....!

Mike Demana

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 03:55:53 AM »
Your church is looking good.
At first when you were doing the roof, it looked to me to be a little to modern.
But painted it looks great.
Glad I was wrong, (what else is new.) lol
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 10:53:04 PM »
So, here it is, the completed outside of my 28mm Saxon Church. As I mentioned earlier, it was scratchbuilt for my Dark Age Skirmish games using Hirst Arts blocks, cardstock, and various craft store jewel bits. I still have some work to do on the inside, but I finished the flocking over the weekend. I finally got a chance to take some quick photos of it tonight. I expect I'll eventually do a full layout of it on the tabletop and post some more photos, but here it is, for now.

The rather raggedy priest exhorts a local woman to be more forthcoming in her tithes...

The priest looks out from beside the entrance, ready to welcome his Saxon parishoners with prayers to spare the church from Viking raiders....

Closeup of the portico entrance and its wooden door constructed from cardboard, wooden craft sticks, and a snipped piece of a picture hanger...

The priest contemplates Heaven while gazing out from beside the rounded chancery...

The rear of the chancery, looking like it could use a little attention from gardeners...

Hope you like it, and thanks for all the suggestions and comments...!

Mike Demana

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 08:03:44 AM »
Stunning amazing work! :-*

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 08:24:22 AM »
Mike, this is bloody great! :o Plenty of gorgeous details. I can't wait to see the inside...

I still love that little bell, it's a great touch. It could be to call the faithful to prayer, or to warn the nearby town of Viking raiders!

:-* :-*

Offline Cholly

• Scientist
  • Put the gun down.............Please?
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 08:54:43 AM »
Mike,
I can only add to the praise. Wonderful build, full of detail and character.
 :D
Cholly